• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Apparently some of the former ARL 317/7 units might be coming back to GA?
I know they have PRM universal toilets (locked out during their overground times) but don't have the door Sounders etc I don't think.
Anyone able to clarify?
That's in interesting rumour. Yes they have big toilets although they haven't been used for years so goodness knows what state they are in. You are also correct that they don't have the door release noise. Unless a miracle occurs with the 720s, it's now inevitable that several non PRM 317s will be in service next year.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
It would probably make sense for us to sign all the way to Norwich
Wont happen. The fireworks that went off at the thought of Norwich drivers signing beyond Cambridge on the Stansted extension was enough. I do not think Ipswich will ever get over you guys signing Peterborough.

dk1

Veteran Member
It's not as if there are any passengers to upset at the moment, now might be just the time.
Passengers dont really come into the equation. Its binding agreements that matter. Actually many loadings on the route particularly off peak are quite healthy now.

LAX54

Established Member
It would probably make sense for us to sign all the way to Norwich

Just think sometimes we get issues at Haughley, or en route to Bury etc, even a wrong route, a quick trip to Diss cross-over a nip back to Stow !

dk1

Veteran Member
Just think sometimes we get issues at Haughley, or en route to Bury etc, even a wrong route, a quick trip to Diss cross-over a nip back to Stow !
Talk them through a quick spin at Cow Green mate (MOM permitting) ;)

Shunter_69

Wont happen. The fireworks that went off at the thought of Norwich drivers signing beyond Cambridge on the Stansted extension was enough. I do not think Ipswich will ever get over you guys signing Peterborough.

I’m sure plenty of the link 1 guys would be happy not to sign Peterborough!!

KC1

I'm not so sure about that. I don't believe you will ever see the crush loadings into London during the peaks that used to happen pre lockdown. The goalposts have definitely moved post-pandemic. Right now you want rail travel to be as comfortable and fast as possible to encourage people back onto the railways. I believe a 2+2 layout with tables would be quite beneficial right now for the new fleet in trying to encourage people back. The quicker the railway can adjust to the "new normal" the quicker it can start encouraging more people back to rail travel. Wishing and hoping things will go back to the way they were pre-pandemic isn't going to make it happen.

what about in 20 years time? Remember what happened post WW2 when railways were in decline for year which led to miles of track closed, local stations closed because of lack of usage? Yes, immediate term, it won’t be as busy but the short term thinking years ago led to the over crowding we see pre-COVID.

Dave1987

On Moderation
what about in 20 years time? Remember what happened post WW2 when railways were in decline for year which led to miles of track closed, local stations closed because of lack of usage? Yes, immediate term, it won’t be as busy but the short term thinking years ago led to the over crowding we see pre-COVID.

20 years time? Crikey the railways may not exist by then if we do not get people back traveling by offering a better traveling experience.

Last edited:

colchesterken

Failed 321-902--I Went to Colchester town to see a 9xx due to run on the 1357 Walton, it came in then gave up wanted to go home.
The fat controller did well, a 360 came in to take the passengers to North station, then a 321 4xx came in from the depot and towed 902 back, I assume to Colchester or it could have gone to Clacton for repair
I read 9xx and 4xx cannot work together that must be in service rather than ECS

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Failed 321-902--I Went to Colchester town to see a 9xx due to run on the 1357 Walton, it came in then gave up wanted to go home.
The fat controller did well, a 360 came in to take the passengers to North station, then a 321 4xx came in from the depot and towed 902 back, I assume to Colchester or it could have gone to Clacton for repair
I read 9xx and 4xx cannot work together that must be in service rather than ECS
You either read wrong or there’s considerable difference between /3 and /4 then, as I had a 12 car Colchester Town train on Wednesday consisting of 321902, an ex National Express unit in the middle and 321903 on the back.

Railperf

Established Member
20 years time? Crikey the railways may not exist by then if we do not get people back traveling by offering a better traveling experience.
Does not help that a weekend cheap day return from Manningtree to London is £19.20 return with a railcard when Cambridge to London (same distance) costs £8.55 return!!
Why the premium??

You either read wrong or there’s considerable difference between /3 and /4 then, as I had a 12 car Colchester Town train on Wednesday consisting of 321902, an ex National Express unit in the middle and 321903 on the back.
I can confirm, they have been running with other 321s for a few months now, as are the 322s.

dk1

Veteran Member
Class 755s are starting to appear with modified ASDO software. These will be permitted to work & call at stations between Colchester & Liverpool St as well as those stations served by the Stansted Express. The 4-cars will be first to get the update then the 745s.

dk1

Veteran Member
Does this mean 755 could sub 745 work, or that they might be used to sub for other stock classes?
Mainly I think they can work right through to London vice a class 745. With lockdown 2 approaching this will be feasible with very subdued passenger loadings. Stansted Airport being so dreadfully quiet also helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.