• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Manchester Combined Authority mayoral elections

Candidates for the GMCA mayoral election, there are 9 candidates

• Nick Buckley, Reform UK

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alec Marvel, (no clue as to which party)

• Marcus Farmer, Independent

• David Sutcliffe, (no clue as to which party)

• Stephen Morris, English Democrats

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey 3

Residents of Greater Manchester only (me included), who are you voting for? Residents outside GM can still take part in the discussion and say who would you have voted for(imagine you was in GM). And please when say your choice, explain as to why you want to vote for that person.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Wonder whether independent candidate Alec Marvel and ex Greater Manchester Police officer / independent David John Sutcliffe didn't bother providing an Election Address because of the £5000 official election booklet printing bill they would have otherwise received.

A bit more on the candidates at the following link...

Hey 3

I am going to vote Andy Burnham because:
He wants to have better public transport
I am sick of Tory lies
He will stand up the Tories when they treat us like second class citizens
He isnt anti franchising
And finally, he is not opposed to a congestion charge.

Grimsby town

I'm going to vote for Melanie Horrocks as my first preference. She seems to be a pretty decent green candidate for once being pro-HS2 and I think we really need to be putting the environment at the top of the agenda.

I will vote for Burnham as my second preference in case its a close race between him and the tory candidate but I honestly can't see anything other than a comfortable victory for him. I'm looking forward to bus reform over coming the coming years. Currently, I hardly ever use the bus despite not having a car. From my house to the city centre (old trafford area), the bus is pretty similarly priced for a weekly ticket (or more expensive for a single or return) and is generally slower than the tram services so there really is no point in using them.

317 forever

Established Member
I'm going to vote for Melanie Horrocks as my first preference. She seems to be a pretty decent green candidate for once being pro-HS2 and I think we really need to be putting the environment at the top of the agenda.

I will vote for Burnham as my second preference in case its a close race between him and the tory candidate but I honestly can't see anything other than a comfortable victory for him. I'm looking forward to bus reform over coming the coming years. Currently, I hardly ever use the bus despite not having a car. From my house to the city centre (old trafford area), the bus is pretty similarly priced for a weekly ticket (or more expensive for a single or return) and is generally slower than the tram services so there really is no point in using them.
I also intend to vote Green first and Labour second. :D

Hey 3

I would agree with that statement there.

On a note, has anyone watched the hustings? And do you think Laura Evans is right to say "work with the government"(I think not)

And note, I added an option about a couple of days ago to pick two choices.

I would agree with that statement there.

On a note, has anyone watched the hustings? And do you think Laura Evans is right to say "work with the government"(I think not)

And note, I added an option about a couple of days ago to pick two choices.
And for me, given Laura Evans is anti-franchising, anti-clean air, and will not stand up to her own party when they treat Manchester, The North + Midlands and the country like we do not exist.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Living outside the borders of Greater Manchester as I will not be affected by the decision, I wonder if the poll will reflect the usual RailUK Forums poll voting, which in General Elections always seems to reach the wrong answer.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Living outside the borders of Greater Manchester as I will not be affected by the decision, I wonder if the poll will reflect the usual RailUK Forums poll voting, which in General Elections always seems to reach the wrong answer.
I too live outside of Manchester and won’t have a vote, but I feel it does affect me. The political decisions of the city have a direct impact on all sorts of areas of life, ranging from transport to healthcare. There are 3 hospitals my other half and I rely upon and all three are in Manchester (Wythenshawe, MRI and Salford Royal), whereby the Greater Manchester mayor has responsibility for the NHS budget for healthcare across all of GM.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
As an ex-GMP officer, the thought of 'yellow belly' Burnham remaining as Mayor for another 3/4 years just fills me with dread.

The man is nothing but a hypocritic, a liar and is as about as much use as a chocolate teapot. The various scandals engulfing GMP in the last couple of years have been 'bubbling' for sometime and Burnham has failed to intervene. Time & time again he has showboated the media with a half truths and empty promises.

The snake that he is - he made some criticisms about Ian Hopkins after he had resigned as Chief Constable as he was no longer in post to defend himself. Sadly some of the 'failings' were just as much down to Burnham as Hopkins.

To fritter away 90 million pounds of government money of a failed IT system is a scandal that needs a full enquiry. Many serving Manchester cops will feel angry and cheated if this idiot is appointed Mayor again after inflicting four years of misery on the thin blue line.

CJ

mikeg

Established Member
As an ex-GMP officer, the thought of 'yellow belly' Burnham remaining as Mayor for another 3/4 years just fills me with dread.

The man is nothing but a hypocritic, a liar and is as about as much use as a chocolate teapot. The various scandals engulfing GMP in the last couple of years have been 'bubbling' for sometime and Burnham has failed to intervene. Time & time again he has showboated the media with a half truths and empty promises.

The snake that he is - he made some criticisms about Ian Hopkins after he had resigned as Chief Constable as he was no longer in post to defend himself. Sadly some of the 'failings' were just as much down to Burnham as Hopkins.

To fritter away 90 million pounds of government money of a failed IT system is a scandal that needs a full enquiry. Many serving Manchester cops will feel angry and cheated if this idiot is appointed Mayor again after inflicting four years of misery on the thin blue line.

CJ
I think you'll find all parties are good at frittering away money on failed it systems. Also could Hopkins not defend himself out with his post or does he lose all ability at speech when he resigns? Apart from that you fail to present any concrete argument against a man who I think on balance has had sensible policies and stuck up for his area. Examples of this are the negotiations on local lockdown and the fact that he's had the guts to take on the bus bandits.
Personally I'd like to see more Andy Burnhams in politics,finding practical solutions and with vision, a good antidote to the crass populism that infects our politics.

For the record, were I In Greater Manchester, he'd get my vote,with the Lib Dem candidate second preference. But that is how I usually vote in SV elections anyway.

Hey 3

Laura Evans said she would scrap the bed every night scheme if she goes in power, she has now reduced her slim chances by saying it.

Hey 3

Not being knowledgeable about "Manc Patois", what does "scrap the bed" mean above and why is it being done every night? Is it some localised ritual from the days of the cotton mills?
Scrapping the bed every night scheme means homeless people will be made to go on to the streets.

Hey 3

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Yellow liveried buses...here we come.... :p

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Given the mess he has allowed to flurish in GMP while paying lip service to the media, I am actually appalled he has been reinstated for another four years. The people of Greater Manchester deserve so much better.

CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.