• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Group Bourdon Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
How do you know you passed easily?

No one knows the scoring and even if when at home you were getting something daft like 20 lines with no mistakes it doesn’t mean you got that on the day since you are not able to mark it yourself.

I agree with the advice you are giving but it’s not right to say you passed easily as you may have only just scrapped through and it could also dishearten those that have tried and failed.
That and each TOC has their own pass rates, TfW take national standard, many others do not so pass not even be a pass.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I'd say 7/8 lines with no errors.

That being said I've heard that the GBT tool on here is harder than the actual test
I'd agree. I downloaded it and tried it but the way you do it on the computer didn't match up with the way my brain appears to work - it's very linear and you can only go back 1 square if you realise you've missed something. It definitely felt whilst doing the paper one this afternoon that I was focusing on around 5 boxes at a time and marking them rather than scanning one by one as there were a lot of times I remember going back 2 or 3 patterns to mark one and also noticing in the periphery symbols on the next few lines that were 4 dots as well. Didn't get the chance to count how many lines I did on each but I think there were 4 or 5 lines on most of the sections that I didn't get to

AverageJoe

I think the only advice that should really be given on this test is practice on the printed out versions and priorities in order of accuracy and then speed.

None of us can give advice one how many line’s because in all honesty none of us know how we really did on the day.

For example in practice I could do around 12/13 lines without mistakes.

On the day it felt like I did more, but I may have done less.

The test paper was different size to the A4 so it made it harder to judge, plus I couldn’t go back and count my lines and I still don’t know if I made mistakes or not.

All I know is I passed.

So for all those going in to this test,

Use the tool on here, practice on the printed sheets, focus on accuracy but don’t hang about either (remember it’s a concentration test)

And then on the day just do your best.

TacoTraveller

My apologies for my choice of wording.

To rephrase, I went from 6-7 lines with multiple mistakes to around 9-10 lines with zero mistakes.
I agree with your advice, but every TOC is different for their enhanced and nerves play a part on the day.

That being said on the day I managed 11 lines all 5 times and passed so there is a theme on number of lines hovering in the high single digit, low double digit figure.

It just depends how many you get wrong or how many you miss.

EchoMike

Are missed ones classified the same as incorrect selections? On both the tool here and on the metodorf website I can get through about 10-12 lines over each of the 5 pages, but currently I seem to miss about 4/5 total with no incorrect selections.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Are missed ones classified the same as incorrect selections? On both the tool here and on the metodorf website I can get through about 10-12 lines over each of the 5 pages, but currently I seem to miss about 4/5 total with no incorrect selections.
Yes a missed one is the same

Sillybear44

I often end up finishing half way through my lines at the end of each block. Is this a no no? If not how do they know you've finished instead of missed the remaining 4 dots out of that line?

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I often end up finishing half way through my lines at the end of each block. Is this a no no? If not how do they know you've finished instead of missed the remaining 4 dots out of that line?
I would imagine they stop checking on the last group you marked. It's an interesting question though I'm not sure if would affect you scoring too much.

Ellwill

Thanks for this, immensely helpful program and thread. I'm in Tonbridge next wednesday for a Trainee Counductor Assessment with Southeastern. They sent a PDF with practice sheets by email but I don't have a printer. Safe to say I'll be meticulously practicing on this program for the next few days!

Luckyflames

Thanks for this, immensely helpful program and thread. I'm in Tonbridge next wednesday for a Trainee Counductor Assessment with Southeastern. They sent a PDF with practice sheets by email but I don't have a printer. Safe to say I'll be meticulously practicing on this program for the next few days!
So much easier on paper. Try to borrow even go to the library. Print off some sheets. And practice with a pencil.

Ellwill

So much easier on paper. Try to borrow even go to the library. Print off some sheets. And practice with a pencil.
I should hope it'll be easier on paper! If I can hit around 8+ lines each sheet on the program without any omissions or errors I should hopefully be able to smash it on the real thing.

Mouse1903

This was a great help. I printed it out and was getting 11 - 12 lines with none or 1 missed for my best. Ultimately passed the first assessment

Ellwill

I should hope it'll be easier on paper! If I can hit around 8+ lines each sheet on the program without any omissions or errors I should hopefully be able to smash it on the real thing.
Happy to report that I passed my assessment on Wednesday! Averaged around 8 lines per sheet so very much nailed the target I set myself. Roll on to interview within the next few weeks.

Saxon79

Happy to report that I passed my assessment on Wednesday! Averaged around 8 lines per sheet so very much nailed the target I set myself. Roll on to interview within the next few weeks
Congratulations. Did you have any omissions?

Luckyflames

Happy to report that I passed my assessment on Wednesday! Averaged around 8 lines per sheet so very much nailed the target I set myself. Roll on to interview within the next few weeks.
Excellent work. All the best going forward.

Ellwill

Congratulations. Did you have any omissions?
We weren't given specific individual feedback on either the bourdon or the ticket selling/checking paper. Although, one of the five of us that was attending was pulled aside before the assessor called us back upstairs for feedback and we didn't see him for the roleplay part of the assessment, so he likely failed. Given of course that you're penalised for any ommissions or errors I think I just about got off scot free.

I’m struggling to open the tool on my MacBook. Can anyone point me in the right direction to printing some practice papers off?

klkl

I’m struggling to open the tool on my MacBook. Can anyone point me in the right direction to printing some practice papers off?
I was also using a Mac and struggling so I wrote my own version of the test using p5js that opens in a web browser. I mentioned it earlier in this thread but you may have not seen (or not found it useful) but posting again just in case.

Browser Based Group Bourdon Practice Sheets

The code is visible for anyone to see just press PLAY ▶️ to get started.

Shortcut Keys:
R
- Makes a new page (randomly generated, no repeat patterns or duplicates)
F - Fullscreen mode (on/off)
P - Triggers the print dialog for your browser

Scotrail84

Established Member

Did you end up getting the dots test? I know some TOC's use the shapes variant rather than the dots.

Any newly qualified ScotRail Conductors on here? Did you do the dots test or the shapes/letters test when going through the assessment stage? I can't seem t find a definitive answer to this question.

Last edited:

Ellwill

Did you end up getting the dots test? I know some TOC's use the shapes variant rather than the dots.

Any newly qualified ScotRail Conductors on here? Did you do the dots test or the shapes/letters test when going through the assessment stage? I can't seem t find a definitive answer to this question.
Yep, we had six sheets of dots to work through. We weren't told how long we had for each sheet although for me it was enough to reliably hammer out around 8 lines, give or take.

Status
Not open for further replies.