• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Group Bourdon Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madrob360

Long shot then, but the sheets of dots i find online have 21 rows. Are the dots bigger or smaller on the test and how many rows?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PickleTree

I remember being pleasantly surprised when I sat the GBT with the OPC how well laid out the sheets were. They were on A3 paper and the dots were definitely laid out in a way that was much clearer than the test sheets you get or can print yourself. That being said it is still easy to make mistakes and like many others have said the best advice I can give is to practice as much as you can over a decent length of time. The GBT practice sheets from this thread I found far more useful than what the OPC issue purely due to the fact that you are training yourself with the actual GBT rather than shapes.

Madrob360

I'm now regularly getting through 13 lines with no errors so I'm slightly more confident. I keep mixing and matching different sheets so i don't just become used to a certain pattern.

KJ83

Hey guys.

So I've just started today (like literally an hour ago) getting to grips with the GB test.
I'm getting between 9-11 lines down, but usually miss one or two in half the lines...
Should I concentrate on getting more right, and staying within the 9-11 lines down region?

Also , on the actual test are the dots separated by a grid? The ones I'm doing now are not, but I also have some printed ones that are on a grid.

dan4291

Hey guys.

So I've just started today (like literally an hour ago) getting to grips with the GB test.
I'm getting between 9-11 lines down, but usually miss one or two in half the lines...
Should I concentrate on getting more right, and staying within the 9-11 lines down region?

Also , on the actual test are the dots separated by a grid? The ones I'm doing now are not, but I also have some printed ones that are on a grid.

I focussed on minimising the number of mistakes first before trying to get as many lines down as possible, so accuracy over speed at first. The dots are not separated by grid lines normally.

Dynamonic

10-11 lines down every page with no more than one mistake overall was what I was getting before I passed the real thing to my TOC’s enhanced standard. So, just work on ironing out those mistakes. :)

KJ83

I focussed on minimising the number of mistakes first before trying to get as many lines down as possible, so accuracy over speed at first. The dots are not separated by grid lines normally.
10-11 lines down every page with no more than one mistake overall was what I was getting before I passed the real thing to my TOC’s enhanced standard. So, just work on ironing out those mistakes. :)

Thanks guys! Going to stick to the print outs I've got now then, and I'm going to aim more for accuracy, and around 10 lines down. After just a day I'm getting quite good, but I swear all I can see when I look up now is dots! :)

Owen2323

I've been practicing these GB tests for about a week or two now and am generally only achieving about 8 lines all correct with about 1 omission every other test. Sometimes I can manage 9 lines but never get to the 10-12 that some people are reporting on here!

I'm waiting to do the tests for Tyne and Wear metro who I believe only require National standard but do people think 8 lines is enough to pass at this level?

FastTrax

I've been practicing these GB tests for about a week or two now and am generally only achieving about 8 lines all correct with about 1 omission every other test. Sometimes I can manage 9 lines but never get to the 10-12 that some people are reporting on here!

I'm waiting to do the tests for Tyne and Wear metro who I believe only require National standard but do people think 8 lines is enough to pass at this level?
do you if they will give you a paper to do the test or you have to do it on the computer?

FastTrax

did the TOC give you a peper for the test or you did it on a computer? the actual test with the TOC i mean
thanks

Andreas25

You may also have a look at the new RailTest preparation software, it contains the Group Bourdon Test and other train driver aptitude tests. It is available for Windows, Mac OS and iPad. www.railtest.com

Manda2194

Hi guys. I keep trying to download this that my internet security keeps saying it found a virus in the file. Has anyone else found that?

Are there any alternative places to download it?

ILoveLamp

Hi guys. I keep trying to download this that my internet security keeps saying it found a virus in the file. Has anyone else found that?

Are there any alternative places to download it?
Hi, have Northern started doing assessments again now?

Manda2194

Hi, have Northern started doing assessments again now?

I applied for Manchester back in April and still nothing from them. they said positions were from Autuurm and onwards so you would expect they would start getting back to everyone soon.

TFW are doing assessments though.

ILoveLamp

I applied for Manchester back in April and still nothing from them. they said positions were from Autuurm and onwards so you would expect they would start getting back to everyone soon.

TFW are doing assessments though.
Have you managed to get an interview with TfW then? Think they do those first before tests unlike most TOCs..

Manda2194

Are you referring to the rail test or GB test,

When I try to download the software from the link

Have you managed to get an interview with TfW then? Think they do those first before tests unlike most TOCs..

Interview with TFW which I did last week. Hopefully hearing about the assessment day in the next few years. Trying to be prepared if they do send me the assessment day. They only gave me a few days notice for the interview so they don't mess around!

ILoveLamp

When I try to download the software from the link

Interview with TFW which I did last week. Hopefully hearing about the assessment day in the next few years. Trying to be prepared if they do send me the assessment day. They only gave me a few days notice for the interview so they don't mess around!
Well done on progressing, good luck.

Nickfro

I’ve got my assessment day coming up soon, quick question, I have a friend who recently passed with the same TOC and he said on the day on the dots test when he moved to the second sheet there was also low and high pitch horn sounds and he needed to count the low pitched horns whilst completing the remainder of the test then write down the amount of sounds he heard at the end. Has anyone else heard of this or is it normally just the dots without sound?

baz962

Established Member
I’ve got my assessment day coming up soon, quick question, I have a friend who recently passed with the same TOC and he said on the day on the dots test when he moved to the second sheet there was also low and high pitch horn sounds and he needed to count the low pitched horns whilst completing the remainder of the test then write down the amount of sounds he heard at the end. Has anyone else heard of this or is it normally just the dots without sound?
That's two different test's. The dot's test doesn't have tone's.

Nickfro

Thank god for that I’m finding the dots test hard enough without the horns to contend with! Thank you for letting me know

PickleTree

Thank god for that I’m finding the dots test hard enough without the horns to contend with! Thank you for letting me know
Even though the tones isn’t part of the GBT the test where you do have to listen for tones also requires you to find symbols at the same time as part of the Third part of that particular test.

Nickfro

Ah thank you, I must have been mistaken when he explained it, is that the test where you need to pick out for example all the bars in a phone book.

Nickfro

I’ve just been practicing since yesterday and I’m consistently getting 9/10 rows with about 4 omissions across the five pages, obviously I’m still working on cutting out the omissions but would this be a fail. Not to bothered about enhanced just a pass will do!!

baz962

Established Member
I’ve just been practicing since yesterday and I’m consistently getting 9/10 rows with about 4 omissions across the five pages, obviously I’m still working on cutting out the omissions but would this be a fail. Not to bothered about enhanced just a pass will do!!
I was doing 9 to ten row's on the actual group bourdon ( dot's ) . My test scores were high enough for every toc .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.