• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Group Bourdon Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Training

Yes definitely 2 minutes per sheet and you do 5 sheets on paper

Cheers for the replies and the info all.

I have downloaded the electronic GB tool at the start of this thread however if the tests will be on paper it perhaps makes better sense to practice as such!

I have looked around for a link to download some paper versions but can’t find any here. Have I missed something!?

Last edited:

lunlen45

Cheers for the replies and the info all.

I have downloaded the electronic GB tool at the start of this thread however if the tests will be on paper it perhaps makes better sense to practice as such!

I have looked around for a link to download some paper versions but can’t find any here. Have I missed something!?

You can print off the sheets from within the GB tool program.

Numbskull100

Can I just check I got this correct please.

Real test = x rows of 25 (on A3 paper)

Those who have passed have completed approx 8/9 rows and therefore 200-225 approx squares of dots. Making minimal errors.

Therefore when practicing, the number in a row is irrelevant (as different materials have different numbers in a row), but completing approx 200-250 in 2 minutes is the aim.

Can someone confirm my logic please!

centro-323

When you refer to 'different practice materials', I wouldn't bother with them as they'll be quite different from the actual test. Stick with the application which this thread is about, and print off sheets to test yourself as others have suggested. They may print as A4, but otherwise I found them to be extremely similar (and helpful) when it came to doing the real thing.

Nobody knows the actual pass mark, but the consensus seems to be 9-10 rows with minimal (avg. of about 1 per sheet) will be a standard pass. Enhanced likely a bit trickier.

Numbskull100

Thanks. I've been using the forum one on the whole. Needing enhanced, so plenty of practice to be done.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Thanks. I've been using the forum one on the whole. Needing enhanced, so plenty of practice to be done.
Plenty of practice, but don't stress too much. I found being relaxed got me a better score.

1st time I got standard, 2nd (3 years later) get enhanced

The Don

I have to do Group Bourdon for Avanti but already have the enhanced standard so why do I have to do this again?

SLee

I have to do Group Bourdon for Avanti but already have the enhanced standard so why do I have to do this again?
From what I was told on my recent assessment day is that there is no ‘standard’ for enhanced level, so what one company sets as enhanced may not be good enough for another company who requires enhanced pass level.

I think the idea of enhanced is daft, it must just be a case of filtering down the numbers since so many apply.

The Don

Although I've achieved enhanced level, if I didn't get the enhanced Avanti level then is that a strike at the assessment centres?

Canonite

Quick question about the SCAAT portion of the tool. Im getting zero errors or omissions all the way through, but the very last one asked me to find only one shape, but the results show multiple errors for numerous shapes it didnt ask me to find.

Dean88

Quick question regarding this, as its 2 minutes per sheet do you have a few seconds pause between sheets or do they just shout next page and away you go?

DNCharingX

Thank you very much for this useful tool, as this seems to be an awful one to sit through. Plenty of time to get it right though.

Is this at all accurate to the real test? I know it's on paper (which is criminal in the 21st century) but I don't have a printer yet so I have to make do.

SLee

Thank you very much for this useful tool, as this seems to be an awful one to sit through. Plenty of time to get it right though.

Is this at all accurate to the real test? I know it's on paper (which is criminal in the 21st century) but I don't have a printer yet so I have to make do.
It’s a brilliant tool so I want to echo your words to thank the original poster.

It’s very similar and it really helped me pass mine recently.

I would recommend printing them off and practicing to test standard.

5 sheets, 2 mins each.

CFRAIL

Morning all, I know there doesn't appear to be knowledge of a set score, but what is the general consensus of averaging 11 lines with 0 to minimal errors?

SLee

Morning all, I know there doesn't appear to be knowledge of a set score, but what is the general consensus of averaging 11 lines with 0 to minimal errors?
I was getting around that mark in practice and passed to enhanced standard on the assessment day.

If anything on the day I slowed myself down focused on being 100% accurate.

I felt I’d rather fail on line 8/9/10 without a mistake than fail on 14 lines with mistakes.

The key is looking at what it is actually testing, concentration.

CFRAIL

Thank you. I've only been practicing for less than a week but started off around 8 lines... I've slowed down a little recently but accuracy has improved massively, now it's generally between 10 and 12 lines with the occasional error (1 or 2) over the 5 pages.

DNCharingX

This "game" is starting to be addictive and fun! (never thought I'd say that) I'm getting around 10 lines average with 1 omission total.

What a weird test where you don't know what you need to pass!

Hoping that I'm doing enough lines.

Last edited:

TreacleMiller

Hi all, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but the tool prints out A4 sheets with two blocks per sheet. Are the paper test the same a4 size or are they on an a3 variant etc. I have my tests for Northern in a a weeks time....

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Hi all, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but the tool prints out A4 sheets with two blocks per sheet. Are the paper test the same a4 size or are they on an a3 variant etc. I have my tests for Northern in a a weeks time....
Real one is on A3 sheets

Carl98k

I did mine December last year. It’s on A3 paper. The tester said it’s harder on paper than computer (although I found the paper easier). The GB tool helps as you learn the pattern of the dots, after lots of practice I didn’t need to count at all, just concentrate on the pattern.

Although I’ve passed all tests with a TOC, some will make you complete them again regardless of standard or enhanced pass. One person on my assessment day was told exactly that.

Twotwo

Thanks guys. What size are the blocks? Are they larger than when printed on a3?

I dunno if anyone would remember that because I don't but all in all if you've printed it out and practicing that way then you'll find this very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.