• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Group Bourdon Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Luckyflames

There are 25 on each row and 21 rows. If you can get down to row 6 on each. You will pass. Practice the shape of dots there are only so many. Once you learn them. You’ll fly.

TreacleMiller

Im currently covering around 1175 to 1250 cells - 9 to 10 rows per block. I have not made an error in around 8000 cells when doin gloads and ive got omissions down to around 1/2 per 1250. Will be practising more this evening.

Does anyone know what Northern need as a pass? Conflicting information around.

Im currently covering around 1175 to 1250 cells - 9 to 10 rows per block. I have not made an error in around 8000 cells when doin gloads and ive got omissions down to around 1/2 per 1250. Will be practising more this evening.

Does anyone know what Northern need as a pass? Conflicting information around.

Turns out, yes, yes it is

Last edited:

Luckyflames

No one really knows the pass mark. I got down to around row 7/8 on each of the five sheets on my assessment day with GTR and passed. Secret is to learn the patterns of the dots. There’s only so many for the four dots.

Balloonthief

Thanks for the reply.
Im consistantly achieving 9 compleated rows but need to improve accuracy... usually around 5-10 errors. Is there anything else you would say is worth practicing?

TreacleMiller

Keep practicing. Work on getting errors down consistently to <2 per 5 sheets.

Real test has less pattern variations so is easier than the practice material.

Firefly83

Hi - has anyone had issues accessing the Zip file? I'v tried to access it but apparently it contains a virus. Im trying to access on my laptop. Cheeers for any help

Qauiser

Has anyone the attachment that they can send me I have downloaded it twice and it no longer works I have my assessment coming up in two weeks thanks

Flying Scott

Thank you to @newlearner for sharing the Group Bourdon Tool, as well as those who have offered advice as it is really appreciated. I will certainly be putting some practice in.

Hi - has anyone had issues accessing the Zip file? I'v tried to access it but apparently it contains a virus. Im trying to access on my laptop. Cheeers for any help
I downloaded the Zip file and scanned it for viruses but none were present. I then unzipped the Zip file, scanned the .exe file and no virus was detected either.

Has anyone the attachment that they can send me I have downloaded it twice and it no longer works I have my assessment coming up in two weeks thanks
I downloaded the Zip file, extracted the .exe file and ran the installer without any problems. The application also ran without any problems either. Before I extracted the .exe installer, I right-clicked on the Zip file, choose Properties, ticked the Unblock checkbox and clicked the OK button. This allowed the Zip and installer files to function normally without additional restrictions being imposed due to the file being downloaded.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

klkl

I never got the software working for this (I have a Mac and emulation wasn’t too cooperative).
Bit of a nerd anyway and wanted to practice so I coded an online version on p5js.

If you run the sketch (play button in top left) it will generate a sheet for you to print out and do it the paper way. Which is how the actual test is so why you wouldn’t just practice like that from the start I don’t know.

If you click on the page it should go fullscreen so that, depending on your browser, you can print just the page of boxes without the rest of the web page.

Press ‘r’ to re-draw the page with new dots. It’s all generated at runtime so the clustering of the dots within the boxes are random and you will get a different page each time you refresh (the hope was that you should learn the skill not the shape / pattern of how the dots appear but I guess that’s somewhat inevitable).

The code is pretty basic and provided on the site and it’s set up in such a way you can tweak it if there are any other code inclined folk who want to play around with the settings. Hope other people find it useful.

TLDR;
Dots test without installing any software.

https://editor.p5js.org/klkl/sketches/vonVA1VZK

Saxon79

Overall Statistics:
-------------------

Perception & Attention:

Targets Omitted ------------ 3
Marked Incorrect ----------- None

Speed:

Total Cells ---------------- 1188
Mean Cell Time ------------- 0.319
Median Cell Time ----------- 0.250

Completed Rows ------------- 46
Mean Row Time -------------- 7.968
Median Row Time ------------ 7.930

Vigilance:

Row Fluctuation ------------ 3.66

---------------------------------------------

This is my most recent practice. Is this any good or am I way off?

AverageJoe

Overall Statistics:
-------------------

Perception & Attention:

Targets Omitted ------------ 3
Marked Incorrect ----------- None

Speed:

Total Cells ---------------- 1188
Mean Cell Time ------------- 0.319
Median Cell Time ----------- 0.250

Completed Rows ------------- 46
Mean Row Time -------------- 7.968
Median Row Time ------------ 7.930

Vigilance:

Row Fluctuation ------------ 3.66

This is my most recent practice. Is this any good or am I way off?
Print it out and do it, testing on the computer is nothing like the real thing on paper.

Also no one can really tell you if it is good or bad because on the day you are only told pass or fail.

Saxon79

Print it out and do it, testing on the computer is nothing like the real thing on paper.

Also no one can really tell you if it is good or bad because on the day you are only told pass or fail.
I've been doing them on paper and gave actually found it easier than on the computer.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Do different TOCs have a different standards. With a bit of practice ( 4 or times) I have now got to 9 lines.
Yes, with all the driver testing there is national standard and then certain TOCs set higher pass scores which are considered enhanced. But each TOC can set a different pass level so being enhanced for one may not be a pass on another

Barlos1973

Yes, with all the driver testing there is national standard and then certain TOCs set higher pass scores which are considered enhanced. But each TOC can set a different pass level so being enhanced for one may not be a pass on another
Thanks. This is all a bit confusing then. Any ideas how many 'lines' would be sufficient for a pass with Northern

Luckyflames

I’ll guarantee that if you can get to line 7/8 with no mistakes. The proper Paper test 5 sheets A3 You’ll pass. At enhanced.

TacoTraveller

Thanks. This is all a bit confusing then. Any ideas how many 'lines' would be sufficient for a pass with Northern
I'd say 7/8 lines with no errors.

That being said I've heard that the GBT tool on here is harder than the actual test

Barlos1973

I'd say 7/8 lines with no errors.

That being said I've heard that the GBT tool on here is harder than the actual test
Cheers. Will keep on practising. Just hope the interview went well. As I sit here this evening and start anyaslising more and more the less confident I'm getting

Prodigy1989

I used the tool and printed out pages. I did one session a day for about a week and passed easily. You really do pick it up quickly once you get going.

AverageJoe

I used the tool and printed out pages. I did one session a day for about a week and passed easily. You really do pick it up quickly once you get going.
How do you know you passed easily?

No one knows the scoring and even if when at home you were getting something daft like 20 lines with no mistakes it doesn’t mean you got that on the day since you are not able to mark it yourself.

I agree with the advice you are giving but it’s not right to say you passed easily as you may have only just scrapped through and it could also dishearten those that have tried and failed.

Prodigy1989

How do you know you passed easily?

No one knows the scoring and even if when at home you were getting something daft like 20 lines with no mistakes it doesn’t mean you got that on the day since you are not able to mark it yourself.

I agree with the advice you are giving but it’s not right to say you passed easily as you may have only just scrapped through and it could also dishearten those that have tried and failed.
My apologies for my choice of wording.

To rephrase, I went from 6-7 lines with multiple mistakes to around 9-10 lines with zero mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.