• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Growing Plants on the Underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I saw an article this week about plants being grown for commercial purposes, hydroponically using some tunnels under the Northern Line in the Clapham area.

If it works out it could be a great success.

I was wonder what those tunnels were originally used for, were they part of the original pre Northern Line tube railway that went from King William Street in a southerly direction. Or where they head shunts or sidings etc for the Northern Line?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
They were part of an aborted attempt to build a new express tube, parallel to the Northern line. They were used as bomb shelters during WW2.

transmanche

Established Member
There are a few of them around London. Built as deep-level air raid shelters in WWII, with the expectation that they would form the basis of an express tube after the war.

See Wikipedia and Subterranea Brittanica for more information.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

I don't think that's what they have in mind for London UndergrounD tunnels. :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There are a few of them around London. Built as deep-level air raid shelters in WWII, with the expectation that they would form the basis of an express tube after the war.

See Wikipedia and Subterranea Brittanica for more information.

Ok, I will have a look at those links later. It's a pity those "Express" UndergrounD lines did not go ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.