• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gsm-r sg button

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengley

Established Member
We don't need to do that on prep. The batteries are still on, so it's just a case of keying in, firing up the engines and then starting prep.

I presume that the GSM-R (on our units at least) is wired into a circuit that is always live irrespective of the status of the desk but that it only comes on when the desk is keyed-in, probably so that it can be used in any cab by the guard in the event of an emergency. So as a consequence, we have to test each set on prep.
Where I work when we prep we are always firing units up from being auxed off.

Of course in your case the test button (or a simple call to 1900) would be necessary

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Ours will always self test when you key on. Aux on or not. My original documentation states that a self test is part of the power on sequence by default. tbh I'm a little creeped out that your self test isn't taking place :/

O L Leigh

Established Member
I guess there must be differences in the installation depending on the class of traction and the purpose to which they are put. I can understand why it wouldn't be necessary or desirable to have live sets in all cabs when the train gets used for DOO, but having sets that can be switched on in other cabs could be a real boon when there is a guard.

No need to be creeped out, though. As long as it says GSM-R GB on the display we have all the necessary functionality. Every train that comes off the depot is prepped first, so all sets will have been tested prior to entering service.

Llama

Established Member
None of ours of any class comes up with 'test ok' when fired up from batteries off. I'd have to check if they do that automatically when the breaker is tripped. We are told that if they say 'GSMR GB' they are functioning correctly, there is no instruction to us to press the test button on either a part prep (PC/SCU/MOB whatever) or a full prep. In my opinion pressing the test button doesn't actually test the microphone or earpiece anyway, which are just as likely to fail and make the whole thing unusable as any other failure mode is.

LAX54

Established Member
As I understand it, the SG button has another subtle twist. Except when urgent, the signaller is not supposed to make a voice call to me any time I might be moving because it might distract me; but when I press the SG button I have implicitly given him/her permission to call me as I am at a stand. Thus we are not supposed to press the SG button while moving.

I've always thought we should have a second button "Delay Avoidance - DA" to say "get a move on or that red I can see in the distance is going to cause us both delay minutes". For instance heading from Southwick towards Portslade without stopping at Fishersgate I will often approach on greens with one decelleration from near line speed. But I can often see a yellow before Fishersgate, a red after that protecting the level crossing before the Portslade, then Portslade platform, and then finally a green on the end of the platform. In this case I must lose 2 or 3 minutes making an appropriately conservative approach to the red, pressing SG, waiting for the barriers then the route, accellerating, and then decellerating again. The driver's rule for DA would be "press this button if it will usefully alert the signaller to an avoidable delay AND you are moving AND it will not distract you to do so". The rule for the signaller would be that the DA text message is for his aid in avoiding delays and can be responded to either by clearing a route if safe to do so, by responding with a "Contact Signaller" text message, or by ignoring it and waiting for the driver to press SG.

Would this not lead to a lot of 'annoyance' at the sigbox end ? Well depending on how it's used ! if it was sent after seeing a DY or SY everytime, that would soon become annoying and a distraction, and then ultimately ignored !
it would also need a new tone on the GSM-R, and they must in short supply, as the DSD and Urgent are almost indentical now. (one is is a bit quieter than the other)
GSM-R is a good bit of kit, just let down, by the what seems to be a 'cheap' (which it's not!) terminal at the Sigbox end, we have lost count how many handsets and cables we have gone through here, they just do not seem to last,

The one thing about the GSM-R that makes your blood run cold, or sends a shiver down your back ? is the 'Star Trek' REC Call alarm ! The whole PSB goes silent, and almost everyone stops what they are doing for a few moments!

LowLevel

Established Member
I guess there must be differences in the installation depending on the class of traction and the purpose to which they are put. I can understand why it wouldn't be necessary or desirable to have live sets in all cabs when the train gets used for DOO, but having sets that can be switched on in other cabs could be a real boon when there is a guard.

No need to be creeped out, though. As long as it says GSM-R GB on the display we have all the necessary functionality. Every train that comes off the depot is prepped first, so all sets will have been tested prior to entering service.

As far as I know on multiple units with the exception of class 153 all GSMR interface units can be switched on and used independently - it was intended that way in case of an emergency destroying the one in the leading cab.

Class 153 only has one set of equipment so you can only switch one interface unit on at a time.

As someone who uses the GSMR all the time (our company chooses to programme it with helpful numbers for control, rosters etc) it was bloody awful going back to a 153 and having to try and get the company phone to work.

I know other guards hardly touch it. I remember the NRN - now that wasn't worth bothering with if you had a mobile.

Undiscovered

As far as I know on multiple units with the exception of class 153 all GSMR interface units can be switched on and used independently - it was intended that way in case of an emergency destroying the one in the leading cab.

Class 153 only has one set of equipment so you can only switch one interface unit on at a time.

As someone who uses the GSMR all the time (our company chooses to programme it with helpful numbers for control, rosters etc) it was bloody awful going back to a 153 and having to try and get the company phone to work.

I know other guards hardly touch it. I remember the NRN - now that wasn't worth bothering with if you had a mobile.
Same on our units. In semi rural areas, it's far easier calling control from on board rather than using a patchy mobile or dwelling at a station. If we have an unusual brake application, outside of a PassComm, I tend to switch the unit on to pick up any REC as it automatically tunes in to it.

I've also used the rear unit to contact signaller about a lineside issue that driver hasn't seen, due to his perspective/view. Always thoroughly impressed by the concise and professional comms from the box, forces me not to waffle!

Status
Not open for further replies.