• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR Electrostar refurbishments: 377s and 387s

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikePJ

Govia Thameslink Railway and leasing company Porterbrook have begun a £55m five-year programme to modernise 214 Bombardier Transportation Class 377 Electrostar electric multiple-units operated on Southern services, and 56 similar Class 387 units used on Gatwick Express and Great Northern services...

To be undertaken at GTR’s Selhurst depot, Project Aurora will include the installation of real-time passenger information screens, USB and power points, energy-saving LED lighting, passenger counting equipment and on-board diagnostic systems including an upgraded on-train data recorder. Forward-facing CCTV cameras will help GTR and Network Rail investigate incidents that cause delays. The first modernised EMU is expected to be completed this autumn, with one unit per week to be completed once the programme is fully underway.

Quotes from RailBusiness: here

The 387s already have power sockets but not USB sockets, but presumably the 377s don't? I've not been on one in ages.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
Quotes from RailBusiness: here

The 387s already have power sockets but not USB sockets, but presumably the 377s don't? I've not been on one in ages.

Most 377s only have sockets in the "first class" area. The final batches have them throughout.

CBlue

Be nice if they could chuck some new moquette on the GN 387 seats while they're at it - some are already looking very threadbare.....

DorkingMain

As much as I support this, it does feel a bit like fiddling while Rome burns when they have a large fleet of 313s and 455s running about in a less than ideal state.

On Moderation
As much as I support this, it does feel a bit like fiddling while Rome burns when they have a large fleet of 313s and 455s running about in a less than ideal state.
I doubt Porterbrook are interested in GTR’s 313 and 455 fleets!

rebmcr

Established Member
Be nice if they could chuck some new moquette on the GN 387 seats while they're at it - some are already looking very threadbare.....

And make them a bit less Southern — "This is a, service to London Kings Cross" currently plays because it doesn't know how to say Great Northern, and the green livery seems like an afterthought.

Mikey C

Established Member
Good to see passenger counting equipment included, and that it's something which can be retrospectively added

K.o.R

And make them a bit less Southern — "This is a, service to London Kings Cross" currently plays because it doesn't know how to say Great Northern, and the green livery seems like an afterthought.

It makes it sound like there are massive air quotes around the word "service".

AirRail

Almost any talk of an interior refresh / upgrade on the UK railways has to be positive news, this included. However it is a bit of a shame that the Gatwick Express fleet couldn't be converted to the same style and standard as that of the Heathrow Express / GWR service on their 387s. Other than the livery and onboard announcements, theres nothing really that sets this service apart for the premium of being anything other than a commuter rail service. The lack of luggage / storage space for an airport service too is appalling and as a dedicated airport service, it should be designed for everything that goes with that where possible.

Established Member

Agreed, in fact I'd go as far as saying that they could do with a full internal refresh, despite only being around five years old!

Class455

Established Member
Great to see the 377's finally being refurbished and modernised internally. USB and plug sockets will be a welcome addition, as well as the new real time PIS screens

387star

On Moderation
They are nearing the end of a minor refresh as well involving new vestibule carpets and a deep clean /respray of everything else with new seat covers. A shame they can't use moquette but most units look pretty presentable at least. Just a shame the inner coaches cant be reconfigured
With covid 19 the squashed nature of those coaches is less than ideal.

Power sockets will be welcomed and may stop people going into first class without the right ticket

trainmania100

Established Member
Can't remember the last time I went on a electrostar despite being near the Seaford branch! All I ever ride in is 313s (which are suprisingly enjoyable, a nice bouncy ride) - prefer them over the 377s

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Almost any talk of an interior refresh / upgrade on the UK railways has to be positive news, this included. However it is a bit of a shame that the Gatwick Express fleet couldn't be converted to the same style and standard as that of the Heathrow Express / GWR service on their 387s. Other than the livery and onboard announcements, theres nothing really that sets this service apart for the premium of being anything other than a commuter rail service. The lack of luggage / storage space for an airport service too is appalling and as a dedicated airport service, it should be designed for everything that goes with that where possible.
It isn’t a dedicated airport service anymore, since 50% were extended to Brighton. Most members of this forum reckon they should be normal Southern services anyway, with normal fares.

The Brighton line doesn’t have the overall capacity to justify a special “airport only” train.

OliverH68

It isn’t a dedicated airport service anymore, since 50% were extended to Brighton. Most members of this forum reckon they should be normal Southern services anyway, with normal fares.

The Brighton line doesn’t have the overall capacity to justify a special “airport only” train.

Am seeing comments elsewhere that the GX branding has been removed from a few 387s. Right way I think, no point having specific GX branding when they operate some Southern services, which will certainly be the case until after the Gatwick works and potentially after the Croydon remodelling.

Might as well just rebrand it all to Southern only!!

crablab

I would say the 377s are the ones most deserving of the "soft furnishing" refresh.

But agreed with the comments about the 387's announcements and branding mismatch.

CBlue

I've heard of the green doors causing some confusion before - especially when the other London service operator also has a "white with red/ex-GN blue doors" livery...

Maybe they're just better off rebranding GN as Southern too, after all it's still South of somewhere. :lol:

crablab

Maybe they're just better off rebranding GN as Southern too, after all it's still South of somewhere.
Whenever I mention Peterborough to people in London they remark that it's "up North"...

SNDave

I'm curious about any potential upgrade(s) in the driving cabs... things like sockets (same like the ones on the 6&7 series +387s) and an enhanced TPWS panel to start with :rolleyes:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Which ones have sockets throughout? Is it the blue 377/5 units? Or maybe the five car 377/6?
377/6 and 377/7s have sockets throughout (34 units). 377/4 and 377/5 only in first class (98 units), 377/1, 377/2 and 377/3 (107 units) don't have any sockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.