• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR Electrostar refurbishments: 377s and 387s

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC1

Out of interest, what do you find not to be satisfactory about the passenger experience (that could be fixed within the scope of an interior refurb)? Electrostars have always felt like reasonably nice trains to be on to me

Agreed, even pre-refurb, I’ve always enjoyed the travelling experience on a 377 and despite their age, still retain the element of being up to date and modern, although I should caveat that with the journeys on the /6 and /7 are not quite the same.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sussex Ben

Out of interest, what do you find not to be satisfactory about the passenger experience (that could be fixed within the scope of an interior refurb)? Electrostars have always felt like reasonably nice trains to be on to me
I’d have liked to see a tweak to the seating configuration to remove one end of 1st Class, but making the other end slightly bigger to allow some of the 1st seats to not be above the bogies (similar to the GX 387s). It seems counterintuitive to have the ‘posh’ seats in the area with the worst ride quality. 2+1 seating similar to the 171s or HEx 387s would also have been nice, although I accept I’d have been pushing my luck with that one.

Other than that they’re decent enough trains, although any mods which could rectify the high pitched buzzing sound that afflicted my train tonight would also be most welcome.

Chiltern006

I was expecting a deep clean and repaint of the yellow into the green as shown on the/6s and /7s. this was on 413 @ start of Jun. second pic gives some context as to where it is

screens were a little disappointing. when service info comes on e.g a map, journey progress etc then it will be good. plugs always welcomed

little bit disappointing overall, was expecting a southeastern-esque standard, but just seem the same with screens and plugs

Attachments

• IMG-20210530-WA0059.jpeg
    IMG-20210530-WA0059.jpeg
    691.6 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG-20210530-WA0063.jpeg
    IMG-20210530-WA0063.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 149

On Moderation
I was expecting a deep clean and repaint of the yellow into the green as shown on the/6s and /7s. this was on 413 @ start of Jun. second pic gives some context as to where it is

screens were a little disappointing. when service info comes on e.g a map, journey progress etc then it will be good. plugs always welcomed

little bit disappointing overall, was expecting a southeastern-esque standard, but just seem the same with screens and plugs
So they’ve still not learned the lesson that the horrible astroturf seat covers are not only a false economy - they have to be replaced much more frequently - but that they also give a much cheaper and nastier feel for the customer. You do wonder why they are incapable of learning this lesson.

The South Eastern 375s are superior for that reason.

physics34

Established Member
So they’ve still not learned the lesson that the horrible astroturf seat covers are not only a false economy - they have to be replaced much more frequently - but that they also give a much cheaper and nastier feel for the customer. You do wonder why they are incapable of learning this lesson.

Baffling. They look dirty and old before normal 'brushed' seat cover material

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Baffling. They look dirty and old before normal 'brushed' seat cover material
Exactly they should be given a proper refurbishment no one ever believes me when I say Southern need cleaners even the Southeastern networkers are cleaner than that but the problem isn't just confined to Southern GWR trains are just as bad!

Bikeman78

Established Member
Travelled on one of the refurbished units for the first time this evening (didn’t note which one). Found it somewhat underwhelming as the only difference (in 1st Class at least) appears to be that I now get the option of charging my phone with a USB cable instead of just having a 3-pin socket to use. The only other changes appear to be a slower PIS screen (similar to 387s) and the digital poster board, which may prove useful if it starts including things like disruption information.

It’s perhaps a shame that the opportunity wasn’t taken to improve the passenger experience on these trains a bit more, however it seems that (like most things GTR) cost control was key here. I guess unsurprisingly given DfT hold the purse strings nowadays.
It's doesn't sound like a refurb at all. Back in the days of CIG and VEP units this would have been a routine overhaul that happened every few years.

Doomotron

Can you clarify what you mean by that? Have never been on a /6 or /7.
The 377/6, /7, GN and c2c 387s have green handrails instead of fluorescent yellow. The OP was expecting the 377s to have their handrails changed to green, although I'd like to point out that the ex-ScotRail 171s have yellow handrails and not green, despite being a recent 'refurbishment'.

43102EMR

Established Member
Thought this thread would be the best place to ask, but have the dellner couplers on all of GTR’s Electrostars been replaced recently? They look relatively newer these days - especially compared to GWR and Southeastern’s units…

Jturner98

Thought this thread would be the best place to ask, but have the dellner couplers on all of GTR’s Electrostars been replaced recently? They look relatively newer these days - especially compared to GWR and Southeastern’s units…
I’ve noticed this too. Even on the 377/5 units. Maybe this year the couplers are being changed on the overhaul.

387star

On Moderation

The seat covers and vestibule carpet have been replaced ahead of the digital mods

Recessio

Really was expecting more from these refurbs. Was hoping for 700-style digital PIS displays to replace the dot matrix, rather than one screen on a bulkhead that will spend most of its life obscured by a passengers head.

Status
Not open for further replies.