• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR Electrostar refurbishments: 377s and 387s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class455

Established Member
that or just a hand bash in the cleaning shed? They can look quite good when given a bit of attention. Worth noting it’s not uncommon for the valances to be repainted with a roller after a fibreglass repair
Nope, definitely wasn’t that as it had new Southern logos! It could well have been graffiti that brought it on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
What exactly is "new" about Southern logos? They've not rebranded at all since they took over from Connex, have they?

Different shade of green on the main circle, white text rather than yellow, and a shadow effect on the bar.

southernraillogo.jpg

newsouthern0916_1248.jpg.386x216_q85_crop-smart.jpg

py_megapixel

Established Member
Different shade of green on the main circle, white text rather than yellow, and a shadow effect on the bar.
Fair enough, so not so much a new brand and more a tweak of the original one - makes sense.

Has the shade of green on the carriage ends been changed as well?

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Fair enough, so not so much a new brand and more a tweak of the original one - makes sense.

Has the shade of green on the carriage ends been changed as well?
I've seen units with the new logo and yet they retain the old colour ends.

Also the refurbed units I've seen shots of so far also have the old colour ends.

It'd be nice for them to do at least one unit with the new colour as the current one has been around for an age.

RichardKing

It'd be nice for them to do at least one unit with the new colour as the current one has been around for an age.
The closest you'll get to that is probably the driving cars of 377 111 (the 'thank you NHS' unit). It uses the colour scheme of the new branding.

Class 466

Established Member
So far I have 377401/413/430/450 as being done and back in service, have I missed any?

David Goddard

Established Member
Reports elsewhere say that MOSL 78842 is being returned to Selhurst next week, and once the whole set has been refurbished will return as 377442.

KC1

See this today on the M25 going past Cobham, as I dropped my mate off at Coulsdon South and headed back towards Redhill on the A23 I see it again going past me looking like it was heading towards Selhurst. Anyone know why?

My apologies for the appalling picture taken by my passenger who couldn’t even get the unit number.

Attachments

• 61F03B23-EA8B-4266-AF26-30990E88480D.jpeg
    61F03B23-EA8B-4266-AF26-30990E88480D.jpeg
    600.3 KB · Views: 137

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
See this today on the M25 going past Cobham, as I dropped my mate off at Coulsdon South and headed back towards Redhill on the A23 I see it again going past me looking like it was heading towards Selhurst. Anyone know why?

My apologies for the appalling picture taken by my passenger who couldn’t even get the unit number.
I assume 78842 :)

Class455

Established Member
Pretty sure the majority of the 377/6’s have had a repaint over the past few weeks, I’ve noticed a lot of them now have new Southern logos and the original font electrostars use for their front numbers. Would make sense if so, the original 377’s were given their first refresh around the 8-10 year mark where the 377/6’s currently are.

Am I also right in thinking that 377442 is the next unit being upgraded?

physics34

Established Member
Pretty sure the majority of the 377/6’s have had a repaint over the past few weeks, I’ve noticed a lot of them now have new Southern logos and the original font electrostars use for their front numbers. Would make sense if so, the original 377’s were given their first refresh around the 8-10 year mark where the 377/6’s currently are.

Am I also right in thinking that 377442 is the next unit being upgraded?
Noticed the font yesterday on some of them. Think theyve just had some minor work rather than full repaints.

Chiltern006

how many have had the work? I've got (so far)

if its this slow then it'll be GBR finishing the job

Chiltern006

wow, there averaging less than 1 a month. this slow and it all won't be done until the 2030s :D

Bikeman78

Established Member
wow, there averaging less than 1 a month. this slow and it all won't be done until the 2030s :D
It took the Belgians a decade to refurbish 180 standard two car units. The first one went straight from green livery in 1999, if I recall correctly. The last refurb was in 2010.

Class455

Established Member
Maybe not because 377402 is also done!
Think 442 is next considering it has now been reformed, I last saw it sitting outside Selhurst depot a week ago.

Class 466

Established Member
Maybe not because 377402 is also done!
Think 442 is next considering it has now been reformed, I last saw it sitting outside Selhurst depot a week ago.
That’s now in Lovers Walk, so isn’t next up!

Sussex Ben

Travelled on one of the refurbished units for the first time this evening (didn’t note which one). Found it somewhat underwhelming as the only difference (in 1st Class at least) appears to be that I now get the option of charging my phone with a USB cable instead of just having a 3-pin socket to use. The only other changes appear to be a slower PIS screen (similar to 387s) and the digital poster board, which may prove useful if it starts including things like disruption information.

It’s perhaps a shame that the opportunity wasn’t taken to improve the passenger experience on these trains a bit more, however it seems that (like most things GTR) cost control was key here. I guess unsurprisingly given DfT hold the purse strings nowadays.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Travelled on one of the refurbished units for the first time this evening (didn’t note which one). Found it somewhat underwhelming as the only difference (in 1st Class at least) appears to be that I now get the option of charging my phone with a USB cable instead of just having a 3-pin socket to use. The only other changes appear to be a slower PIS screen (similar to 387s) and the digital poster board, which may prove useful if it starts including things like disruption information.

It’s perhaps a shame that the opportunity wasn’t taken to improve the passenger experience on these trains a bit more, however it seems that (like most things GTR) cost control was key here. I guess unsurprisingly given DfT hold the purse strings nowadays.
Out of interest, what do you find not to be satisfactory about the passenger experience (that could be fixed within the scope of an interior refurb)? Electrostars have always felt like reasonably nice trains to be on to me

Status
Not open for further replies.