• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR- Shunter Driver Brighton (05/08/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LeGrimpeur

Can you elaborate on this please? My previous experience of gtr (3yrs ago) was they had no shunter to driver route. Are they now fastracking people through?

sm769

Great job and a natural progression to mainline driver is now in place
When I applied for the Shunter Driver at Brighton last year, completed the assessments and had an interview, it was made clear that the application process and psychometric tests were completely different from mainline driver and there was no progression between the two. Infact, they said they had just begun a new assessment and interview process for this role. Has this now changed again?

Sly Sloth

Can you elaborate on this please? My previous experience of gtr (3yrs ago) was they had no shunter to driver route. Are they now fastracking people through?
It’s not a fast track but they’ve run 2 courses now as part of a shunter to mainline progression.

When I applied for the Shunter Driver at Brighton last year, completed the assessments and had an interview, it was made clear that the application process and psychometric tests were completely different from mainline driver and there was no progression between the two. Infact, they said they had just begun a new assessment and interview process for this role. Has this now changed again?
You’d still have to sit the mainline tests if and when jobs became available. There was a shunter to mainline campaign which had its own specific talent pool

DonkeyKonk

Hi, I have just registered as I was interested in this role.

I have a few queries if anybody has any information that would be very helpful and appreciated.

1.- How long does the process take in general from application to selection to training, is it a few months, or can it be a lot longer (as I have seen with some driver jobs with other TOC's)...

2.- what kind of shifts are they, would you be working permanent times (like nights all the time) or would it be a mix of shifts from week to week ?

And is it a 4 or 5 day week as a shunter driver ?

3. Is Overtime possible ?

4.- any tips for the Online Assessment, how "technical" is it and is that "timed" or at your own pace ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Bn98

I'll try my best to answer the bits I can -
1 - Not quite as long winded as Mainline process but still relatively competetive and drawn out. You most likely wouldn't see a 6 month (sometimes minimum) "talent Pool" for this one.
2 - I would be surprised if it was permanent overnights. But the "busy" bits will be early morning/late evening. So make of that what you will - doesnt mean there isnt any day time working of course!
3 - No idea, question for at an interview!
4 - Online assessment isn't something you should be trying to prepare for. Instructions are all crystal clear - there is a timed element but its probably not in anyones best interest to pre-empt based on others experiences. Orders of items change within the testing, nothing worse that being prepared for something that doesnt come up. I would say it is really straight forward, if you majorly struggle with it then I suspect it is a pointer that it's not the right role, not meant with any malice but it is the general idea of this stage! No point revising hard to then struggle down the line (pun not intended).

Find a quiet spot, relax and don't panic about the timer - its more than enough time, just there to add a little bit of pressure/distraction!

Cup of tea beside you and you'll cruise through it!

REO Nate

If I wasn’t in the talent pool for Mainline driver already, I would probably have gone for this. Looks like a good opportunity.

DonkeyKonk

I'll try my best to answer the bits I can -
1 - Not quite as long winded as Mainline process but still relatively competetive and drawn out. You most likely wouldn't see a 6 month (sometimes minimum) "talent Pool" for this one.
2 - I would be surprised if it was permanent overnights. But the "busy" bits will be early morning/late evening. So make of that what you will - doesnt mean there isnt any day time working of course!
3 - No idea, question for at an interview!
4 - Online assessment isn't something you should be trying to prepare for. Instructions are all crystal clear - there is a timed element but its probably not in anyones best interest to pre-empt based on others experiences. Orders of items change within the testing, nothing worse that being prepared for something that doesnt come up. I would say it is really straight forward, if you majorly struggle with it then I suspect it is a pointer that it's not the right role, not meant with any malice but it is the general idea of this stage! No point revising hard to then struggle down the line (pun not intended).

Find a quiet spot, relax and don't panic about the timer - its more than enough time, just there to add a little bit of pressure/distraction!

Cup of tea beside you and you'll cruise through it!
Great Stuff,

Thank you for the information, and I will certainly think about it.... yes, I would definitely find a quiet spot and have a cuppa ready for the online assessment if i do go for it.

Javelin_55

Has anyone heard back after doing the online test? I had four or five questions left after the timer ran out.

Bn98

Nothing yet, will be a while yet! Finished the questions but know I made 1 mistake as I clicked next

Should hear back within the next couple of weeks I reckon?!

DonkeyKonk

Anyone hear anything back yet ? Nearly a month now, I have heard nothing.

I did the assessment, I think I did okay, I finished it but believe I got a few wrong.for sure.

DonkeyKonk

Got my email today about 15.30 saying I have not been successful.

Ah well, was hoping I did okay, but I think I made one error in the assessment and repeated that error a few times, if that makes sense (basically did not fully look at what it was asking).

I will know better next time if I do such an assessment again though.

Javelin_55

It was a no for me as well.

Frustrating as I normally like to chase for feedback on my applications, but with something like this it seems clear I just didn't clear the pass mark (which is no doubt closely guarded)

Status
Not open for further replies.