• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sei108

No assessment centres till July/August which will be booked in June apparently! Im just confused why they are picking candidates for the assessments at random lol thought it would be a score/time based decision

Luckyflames

Hope it is good news for you. When did you have your interview? I am waiting for my DMI outcome.
Hi Crashbash. Congrats on progressing through to the MMI. I have my DMI coming up for Southern in the coming weeks. Please could I ask the what questions you faced at the DMI. Best of luck going forward.

This thread has gone very quiet.
Is anyone in the running heard anything of late?
I passed my assessment day last Thursday

Last edited:

Firstclass

Hi Crashbash. Congrats on progressing through to the MMI. I have my DMI coming up for Southern in the coming weeks. Please could I ask the what questions you faced at the DMI. Best of luck going forward.

Hi Luckyflames, would you mind sharing your experience of the assessment day? Was the materials they provided beforehand beneficial?
Many thanks in advance.

Luckyflames

briefly, you will hear and count how many specific sounds (there are high and low tones)
bourdon test
fault finding
memory test, read something then have a questionaire about it.
2 computer based tests.
you get through to the assesment you will be sent info, so dont worry
Don’t forget cables and dials. And 3 computer tests. Dark grey square. Perception. & hand coordination

I'd expect to hear the same then. I've been waiting for assessment center for quite some time. They said they'll contact me shortly to book in a date very similar to your story so I'm. It holding my breath.

My only concern is that there's only 160 jobs and they're assessing every day. In 1 day 5 out of 6 passed so vacancies are becoming more and more limited
1 they’re not assessing everyday. 2 keep your head up

Last edited:

CrashBash

Hi Lucky,

Questions asked are based on the behaviour questionnaire each individual fills. The questions I was asked were based on my questionnaire. Your questions will be based on your answers on the questionnaire you have submitted. All I can suggest is be honest with your answers, be confident and stay calm. Interviewers are there to help you succeed, not to catch you out. If you can't think of an answer, ask if you can revisit the question later on during the interview. This will give you time to think of an example. All the best!!!

Luckyflames

Thanks crash

Literally just on those 6 questions I was asked to fill in on the assessment day. ?
For example when have you had to remain calm in an emergency situation. When have you helped a colleague etc etc.
take it easy

lucky

CrashBash

Thanks crash

Literally just on those 6 questions I was asked to fill in on the assessment day. ?
For example when have you had to remain calm in an emergency situation. When have you helped a colleague etc etc.
take it easy

lucky
Hey,

Have you been invited to DMI? If not, when you receive an invitation for DMI, they will explain further. For now, those 6 questions that you briefly answered during the assessment day are for MMI, not DMI. You might get similar questions in both interviews or different. I cannot discuss questions I was asked as I don't believe it is fair that I do so. All I can say is be prepared for possible questions on Team Work, Company's background, Yourself and your interest in the position applied. All the best!

siraning

No assessment centres till July/August which will be booked in June apparently! Im just confused why they are picking candidates for the assessments at random lol thought it would be a score/time based decision
I had my assessment this Monday (24/05)

Hi. Passed my scaat in Feb. Had an email re assessment days at Croydon with possible dates in April and May. Then had email telling me it won’t be until July or August. Seems to be taking an age.
Have you had your assessment yet? Had mine this Monday and got my results yesterday saying I had passed. Waiting for DMI

I had another email update this week. July dates have been filled with candidates selected at random and they will update again when they have August dates.

I understand Covid has slowed the process and railway recruitment is always slow anyway but having passed the online assessments in early February, I’m beginning to get a bit frustrated with the “random” selection of candidates for assessment. Just carrying on being patient.

Force1

Hello all.

For those that have had the assessment, can you tell me for which franchise it was? (Southern, Thameslink)
I'm waiting on a date for DFFT assessment.
Just querying as I have been put on the Southern franchise, when the Thameslink depot at Hornsey is closer by 10miles to where I live.
Is this because Thameslink have their allocated trainees? or the need for drivers their is greater?

soxiez

Hello all.

For those that have had the assessment, can you tell me for which franchise it was? (Southern, Thameslink)
Just querying as I have been put on the Southern franchise, when the Thameslink depot at Hornsey is closer by 10miles to where I live.
Is this because Thameslink have their allocated trainees? or the need for drivers their is greater?
i believe they're still recruiting for hornsey currently. i had a dmi recently and they told me that great northern were recruiting for hornsey and cricklewood (i think!) at the moment. i cant speak to whether southern depots have greater need though

Force1

i believe they're still recruiting for hornsey currently. i had a dmi recently and they told me that great northern were recruiting for hornsey and cricklewood (i think!) at the moment. i cant speak to whether southern depots have greater need though
Thanks for the reply, and an advanced Congratulations on getting through!

siraning

Hello all.

Great Northern for me too

Robb7

Have just been informed that I failed my DMI because I didn't research Arriva sufficiently... After sailing through the assessments and everything else I am absolutely gutted that I fell at such an easy hurdle.
I am more determined than ever now and am watching for new Trainee Train Driver positions like a hawk and hope for be successful on my second attempt!

Firstclass

Have just been informed that I failed my DMI because I didn't research Arriva sufficiently... After sailing through the assessments and everything else I am absolutely gutted that I fell at such an easy hurdle.
I am more determined than ever now and am watching for new Trainee Train Driver positions like a hawk and hope for be successful on my second attempt!
Hi Robb7, I’m so sorry to hear that. It’s good that you’re now more determined and I’m sure you’ll get the job next time round. Was your DMI for southern?

Traffic71

I had my assessment this Monday (24/05)

Have you had your assessment yet? Had mine this Monday and got my results yesterday saying I had passed. Waiting for DMI
Hi mate, had an email the other day saying the upcoming assessment days are fully booked and the next ones will or August. Just a waiting game I suppose. I do agree with others that surely the number of actual vacancies must be falling month on month?

I had another email update this week. July dates have been filled with candidates selected at random and they will update again when they have August dates.

I understand Covid has slowed the process and railway recruitment is always slow anyway but having passed the online assessments in early February, I’m beginning to get a bit frustrated with the “random” selection of candidates for assessment. Just carrying on being patient.
Me and you both. I’m in exactly the same position. All we can do is wait.

Frankie4763

Hi mate, had an email the other day saying the upcoming assessment days are fully booked and the next ones will or August. Just a waiting game I suppose. I do agree with others that surely the number of actual vacancies must be falling month on month?

I’m in the same boat, waiting for an assessment. Don’t forget the vacancies are only filled after a successful medical. People passing the assessments at the moment still have a DMI and MMI to pass, then a medical. Hopefully we’ll still get our chance!!!

polaris324

I'm in the same position. Been waiting since February for an assessment date.

Was just reading this article https://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/articles/gtr-doubles-number-female-train-driver-applicants
It says "In 2019 GTR received 413 female applicants, to 826 in 2020. This is a great statistic to see following years of the rail industry struggling to attract female talent. GTR has committed to doubling this number again by 2021. Further pledges include improving diversity in teams across its entire talent pool, with the company setting itself the target of having a 50/50 gender split on all training programmes by the end of 2021."

I've no issue at all with improving diversity but I do wonder with this target whether the random selection of candidates for assessment dates is truly random.

LCC106

Established Member
Attracting more female candidates is one thing, but they will have to pass the assessments the same as everyone else of course. I think there is potentially more bias when the applicant is related to someone within the depot. I suspect if they are aiming for a 50/50 split on each course, if a course can hold 10 people they will randomly pick 5 males and 5 females. Still random but a bit more collectively so!

Quin79

Good luck to all still in the process. Do your research and self reflect upon your skills matched against the role profile.

It's a long process but take every stage as it comes and try not to think too far ahead and have faith and patience.

I'm fortunate to be in the Talent Pool and the GTR staff really do a great job with the significant numbers coming through so try to keep this on mind, not many of them for thousands of "us".

Good luck all

Traffic71

I'm in the same position. Been waiting since February for an assessment date.

Was just reading this article https://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/articles/gtr-doubles-number-female-train-driver-applicants
It says "In 2019 GTR received 413 female applicants, to 826 in 2020. This is a great statistic to see following years of the rail industry struggling to attract female talent. GTR has committed to doubling this number again by 2021. Further pledges include improving diversity in teams across its entire talent pool, with the company setting itself the target of having a 50/50 gender split on all training programmes by the end of 2021."

I've no issue at all with improving diversity but I do wonder with this target whether the random selection of candidates for assessment dates is truly random.
Hmmm. That makes grim reading but not because I’m against women getting these roles- far from it. I just wonder in these days of PC, diversity etc that how much of a realistic chance does a heterosexual white male stand?

Quin79

Hmmm. That makes grim reading but not because I’m against women getting these roles- far from it. I just wonder in these days of PC, diversity etc that how much of a realistic chance does a heterosexual white male stand?
As good a chance as anyone else. Test marks in assessment will be same irrespective of gender or ethnicity, likewise if get through to interviews. My only recommendation is to just think about yourself and do best that you can as everything else is out of your control.

White, heterosexual male in talent pool

Last edited: