• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

dzdoris

Hmmm. That makes grim reading but not because I’m against women getting these roles- far from it. I just wonder in these days of PC, diversity etc that how much of a realistic chance does a heterosexual white male stand?
If you look around this site you will see that females fail to progress through the process too. You don't get pushed through just because you're female.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CrashBash

If you look around this site you will see that females fail to progress through the process too. You don't get pushed through just because you're female.
I agree. There are female applicants who are from ethnic minority group and still could not progress further because they could not pass recruitment stages. Yes, railway is encouraging female and BAME candidates to apply but job offers will only be based on candidate's qualification for the applied positions.

Lab

Hey everyone, I’ve actually been following this thread for quite some time but I’ve only just registered today.. I have the upper hand of my husband being a driver so the poor guy has had my constant questions direct. I passed my assessment day a few weeks ago now (phew) and so just waiting for my MMI and line manager interview now! I have seen some are by zoom now.. How long was the wait to be contacted after your assessment day for those that passed too? Only they told me interviews are usually within a week or 2 but I’ve not heard yet.. I’m in no rush just curious really.. TIA :)
Driver wife, you are very lucky then!
You should fly through the training then!

I think we would like the tests to be more reflective of our day jobs. Psychological and Aptitude testing goes back many many years. Those pesky people in white coats and lots of letters after their names kinda know what they are doing.

I've had some rather amusing conversations with fleet over the years :) There are also situations where the train doesn't behave like it should or where the Driver could have done the easiest of things to get the unit moving again but didn't.

Anyone going over to GTR may well find themselves driving a 700. For some, the HMI is the mutts nuts and they can navigate it like a rat in a science maze. For others its like the Devil himself is using it to slowly claim their soul.

Which is a perfect example of using your non technical skills. Not everyone can do it.
Hi, seen your threads.
I am waiting for a training start date.
I was just wondering if I could contact you for your expertise regarding the training and what I should expect. It appears daunting, what do you suggest?

Last edited:

whoosh

Established Member
Hmmm. That makes grim reading but not because I’m against women getting these roles- far from it. I just wonder in these days of PC, diversity etc that how much of a realistic chance does a heterosexual white male stand?

More females and ethnic minorities are being encouraged to apply, so there are more of them becoming trainees, because more people from these groups are applying.
Most applicants are white male, and most trainees are white male.

If that makes sense.

As said above, you have as much chance as anyone else.

I don't believe what's sometimes called 'positive discrimination' is taking place at GTR, if that is what you are concerned about.

siraning

Hi Siraning
Are you expecting to start in Hornsey too forbthe GN training? How long have you been waiting for a start date?
Lab
Hi Lab,

still waiting for a DMI date. I’ve done my MMI already with another TOC

Driver_wife

Attracting more female candidates is one thing, but they will have to pass the assessments the same as everyone else of course. I think there is potentially more bias when the applicant is related to someone within the depot. I suspect if they are aiming for a 50/50 split on each course, if a course can hold 10 people they will randomly pick 5 males and 5 females. Still random but a bit more collectively so!
My experience has been that they actually made sure my interviews did not know my husband personally at all and were from different depots, so that they are not biased. I had my DMI today and my husband sure enough didn’t personally know either of my interviewers, nor did they know I had a connection in the industry so I don’t believe that to be true by my experience that is.

Driver wife, you are very lucky then!
You should fly through the training then!

Hi, seen your threads.
I am waiting for a training start date.
Hopefully I get to experience the training! I had my DMI today and it was tough but I did prepare a lot, I can only hope now that I did enough :)

CrashBash

My experience has been that they actually made sure my interviews did not know my husband personally at all and were from different depots, so that they are not biased. I had my DMI today and my husband sure enough didn’t personally know either of my interviewers, nor did they know I had a connection in the industry so I don’t believe that to be true by my experience that is.

Hopefully I get to experience the training! I had my DMI today and it was tough but I did prepare a lot, I can only hope now that I did enough :)
Hi Driver Wife,

I am sure you have done well! Fingers crossed, you will be successful. All the best! Hope you get good news soon!

Luckyflames

Hi Driver Wife
How long from your Assessment Day to your DMI please ?
Best of Wishes going forward

Vola_c

I'm in my fifth week of training with TL and each of the people on my course are of very different backgrounds, and are a fair balance of males/females. For those waiting, don't give up, they are running courses every few weeks. Trust the process, it's worth the wait.

Lab

I'm in my fifth week of training with TL and each of the people on my course are of very different backgrounds, and are a fair balance of males/females. For those waiting, don't give up, they are running courses every few weeks. Trust the process, it's worth the wait.
How is the training going? Well done.
Is it extremely difficult or just right?

Vola_c

I'm honestly loving every second of it. I'm the only one with no railway background out of 7 so it's been a steep learning curve but you help each other. It's beginning to turn now so what we are learning isn't just new to me so I don't feel like I'm trying to keep up anymore. I've had to put a lot of effort in with studying especially initially but when you get good exam results back each week it makes you realise the hard work is slowly paying off. I knew it wouldn't be easy but if you put the effort in, it is the best career choice I've ever made.

Quin79

I'm honestly loving every second of it. I'm the only one with no railway background out of 7 so it's been a steep learning curve but you help each other. It's beginning to turn now so what we are learning isn't just new to me so I don't feel like I'm trying to keep up anymore. I've had to put a lot of effort in with studying especially initially but when you get good exam results back each week it makes you realise the hard work is slowly paying off. I knew it wouldn't be easy but if you put the effort in, it is the best career choice I've ever made.
Keep going. You'll be driving before you know it. ...just a waiting game for me

Big dom

I would think that a statistician would find the randomness of the people on the selection to be so outside normal parameters that the use of the word random is incorrect . Also if they are looking for 50/50 gender split then people don’t have an equal chance as maybe 8-10 times as many men apply as women . Therefore a woman would have 8-10 times more chance of succeeding providing both sexes have equal talent.

Driver_wife

Hi Driver Wife,

I am sure you have done well! Fingers crossed, you will be successful. All the best! Hope you get good news soon!
Hi thanks you! I heard the next morning that I have passed! Thanks for your well wishes :)

Hi Driver Wife
How long from your Assessment Day to your DMI please ?
Best of Wishes going forward
It was about 1 month but I had to reschedule so it was 2 months in the end.

Twotwo

Hi thanks you! I heard the next morning that I have passed! Thanks for your well wishes :)

Congratulations! I passed the DMI a while ago and got offered a course for 2nd August for GN. What toc did you do yours with.

Twotwo

How long did you wait in talent pool after MMI?
I've already sat the MMI with another toc. Im sure when they told me I passed, they offered me a course in May. Didn't expect it to be that quick, but had to turn it down because of my notice period but then got offered a course in August last week.

Quin79

I've already sat the MMI with another toc. Im sure when they told me I passed, they offered me a course in May. Didn't expect it to be that quick, but had to turn it down because of my notice period but then got offered a course in August last week.
Well done to you. I'm hoping my wait isn't too long

mresh91

Do you know how long they hold your assessment passes/MMI for? Do they accept a three year validity, or it has to be two or less?

Twotwo

Do you know how long they hold your assessment passes/MMI for? Do they accept a three year validity, or it has to be two or less?

I sat the paper tests in December 2018 and the mmi in August 2019 which makes it 2.5 years.

C00k1e

Assessment/MMI passes are valid for 5 years from the date they are passed. It is up to the individual TOC’s/FOC’s to decide how long they want to cap the validity for (I was told this during an interview with a FOC recently) I think the norm is three years but, like I said, can vary. GTR is three years.

Quin79

Assessment/MMI passes are valid for 5 years from the date they are passed. It is up to the individual TOC’s/FOC’s to decide how long they want to cap the validity for (I was told this during an interview with a FOC recently) I think the norm is three years but, like I said, can vary. GTR is three years.
GTR is 5 years ?

Vola_c

See you in aug! Will be about to start traction after. You'll be training at London Bridge.

Luckyflames

Thank you. Just heard today and it’s only been a couple of weeks So that bodes well. Best of luck in the future

mresh91

GTR is 5 years ?
Is that a question or you're certain it's 5 years for GTR?

Twotwo and c00k1e, thanks. I thought GTR's cap was two years, but clearly it's at least 3 which is amazing news for me personally.

Quin79

Is that a question or you're certain it's 5 years for GTR?

Twotwo and c00k1e, thanks. I thought GTR's cap was two years, but clearly it's at least 3 which is amazing news for me personally.
I was told passes with GTR valid for 5 years

Driver_wife

Congratulations! I passed the DMI a while ago and got offered a course for 2nd August for GN. What toc did you do yours with.
thank you! How exciting not long now then! I will be with Southern.. I just need to pass my MMI and my medical now