• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

REO Nate

Does anyone know of any courses starting for Southern or TL for Brighton, or are people going into the Talent Pool for that depot?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lawtoni

Hi All,
I am lucky enough to have been offered the role, subject to a medical.
Dec 8th application.
I have been offered Thameslink at Cricklewood or a potential Great Northern at Welwyn.

Does anyone have any thoughts or insight as to which may be the best option and any pros and cons of TL vs GN
?

Many thanks and good luck to all in the process.

Jameswilson

Hi All,
Dec 8th application.
I have been offered Thameslink at Cricklewood or a potential Great Northern at Welwyn.

Does anyone have any thoughts or insight as to which may be the best option and any pros and cons of TL vs GN
?

Congratulations! Very happy for you

GN Boy

Hi All,
Dec 8th application.

?

I think Welwyn GC depot is pretty full and has an internal waiting list.

choochoochoo

Established Member
I think Welwyn GC depot is pretty full and has an internal waiting list.
I'd have thought the only vacancies that wouldn't be filled by internal transfers were at hornsey.

Every other depot on the GN has a waiting list

CEECEEGO

Hi, I'm on a course starting 23rd Aug for Selhurst depot.
I'm also on this course. I applied at the end of last year and am surprised at how fast it's all moved. I was expecting to be waiting for the long haul! Any idea of what the shifts will be like?

Quin79

I'm also on this course. I applied at the end of last year and am surprised at how fast it's all moved. I was expecting to be waiting for the long haul! Any idea of what the shifts will be like?
Very surprised you've progressed this quickly. - when was your assessment day? Assuming Southern?

CEECEEGO

Very jealous. Best of luck.
Thanks Lucky - hopefully you won't be too far behind!

Very surprised you've progressed this quickly. - when was your assessment day? Assuming Southern?
Yes, Southern. Assessment day was in March

The shifts will be classroom hours to start with so normally 0900-1530 give or take.
Ah thanks. Sorry though, I meant when we start driving as a driver at a different depot mentioned there are more late turns at Selhurst than others

CurtisGodby

Surprised how fast everything has moved for me applied in December 2020 and I have just been given my official start date, can’t contain my excitement

lawtoni

Me too!
There is surely a priority list of candidates given some passed all selection stages and have start dates just a few weeks later and others h have been in the talent pool for many months or several years

Quin79

I wish I knew how people are getting courses. I was told it was from application date, assessment date and what depot you are going for. Seems some have passed very recently and placed on courses whilst others are waiting in a talent pool getting monthly updates.

CrashBash

I wish I knew how people are getting courses. I was told it was from application date, assessment date and what depot you are going for. Seems some have passed very recently and placed on courses whilst others are waiting in a talent pool getting monthly updates.
I believe it hugely depends on the depot one applies for. The demand, number of vacancies, waiting list for the depot and off course, candidate's catchment area too. I believe candidates living closer to the depot that have vacancies would get priority.

jayrod

Finally have my assessment booked for the 6th of August, could any of you give me any information on what tests you sat ? and is it process of elimination, meaning if you fail a test you're asked to leave, or sit all of the tests and find out at the end

CrashBash

Finally have my assessment booked for the 6th of August, could any of you give me any information on what tests you sat ? and is it process of elimination, meaning if you fail a test you're asked to leave, or sit all of the tests and find out at the end
Hi Jayrod,

Congrats! HR must have sent practice material along the confirmation email. Those are the tests that you are expected to attend on the assessment day. If you need more info or advice regarding assessment day, visit early pages of this thread and you will find alot of relevant info and advice.

When I had my assessment day, I sat all the tests and then everyone was given their assessment day outcome in the end. The ones that passed were asked to stay back and complete an on computer questionnaire. The unsuccessful applicants were advised to leave.

All the best.

Frankie4763

Did you get a date recently? I had the general email about 3 weeks ago saying I hadn’t been randomly selected at this time

C00k1e

After a lengthy conversation with someone in recruitment for another toc yesterday the way talent pools operate is based on the scores you achieved in your assessments and interviews etc. For example the higher the score, the higher in the talent pool you sit. If you are third on the list and the top two get course dates the next people to come into the pool may also have a higher score than you, therefore you would remain in third place and so forth. This is the reason that some people stay in pools for years and some progress quickly.
The toc that the person I spoke to does not operate talent pools as they are deemed, by this company, to be unfair and they operate on a first come first serve basis.

Quin79

After a lengthy conversation with someone in recruitment for another toc yesterday the way talent pools operate is based on the scores you achieved in your assessments and interviews etc. For example the higher the score, the higher in the talent pool you sit. If you are third on the list and the top two get course dates the next people to come into the pool may also have a higher score than you, therefore you would remain in third place and so forth. This is the reason that some people stay in pools for years and some progress quickly.
The toc that the person I spoke to does not operate talent pools as they are deemed, by this company, to be unfair and they operate on a first come first serve basis.
That's interesting. Thanks for this. HR mentioned nothing about scores when I enquired. But what you wrote makes sense. So could pass everything and still never get one of these positions....makes sense to continue to pursue other applications then

C00k1e

That's interesting. Thanks for this. HR mentioned nothing about scores when I enquired. But what you wrote makes sense. So could pass everything and still never get one of these positions....makes sense to continue to pursue other applications then
Might well be worth it, although this is something else that was brought up in the conversation, if you are successful in another application for the same toc your driver application would be closed. The reason is they expect you to fulfill your probation period for the new position. However, it was mentioned that you are allowed to apply for internal vacancies after your probation that are often not advertised. I suppose you have to weigh up getting a foot in the door and waiting for a course, also potentially having your assessments etc becoming out of date. I will say that this wasn’t a conversation with GTR but another toc so there may be some differences in how the two companies operate.