• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

jayrod

Hi Jayrod,

Congrats! HR must have sent practice material along the confirmation email. Those are the tests that you are expected to attend on the assessment day. If you need more info or advice regarding assessment day, visit early pages of this thread and you will find alot of relevant info and advice.

When I had my assessment day, I sat all the tests and then everyone was given their assessment day outcome in the end. The ones that passed were asked to stay back and complete an on computer questionnaire. The unsuccessful applicants were advised to leave.

All the best.
Thank you,

I've already passed this situational judgement test and also the SCAAT test during lockdown, would these have normally been done during the assessment day ?

Did you get a date recently? I had the general email about 3 weeks ago saying I hadn’t been randomly selected at this time
I've passed the situation judgement and SCAAT test back in February and received my assessment day date a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Frankie4763

Thank you,

I've already passed this situational judgement test and also the SCCAT test during lockdown, would these have normally been done during the assessment day ?

I've passed the situation judgement and SCCAT test back in February and received my assessment day date a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks for the reply. You got your invite at the same time I got my notification

CrashBash

Finally have my assessment booked for the 6th of August, could any of you give me any information on what tests you sat ? and is it process of elimination, meaning if you fail a test you're asked to leave, or sit all of the tests and find out at the end

Thank you,

I've already passed this situational judgement test and also the SCCAT test during lockdown, would these have normally been done during the assessment day ?

I've passed the situation judgement and SCCAT test back in February and received my assessment day date a couple of weeks ago.
Hi Jayrod,

I believe you are referring to online SJT and online MiniScaat. They are different. Once a person has passed the assessment day, they are advised to complete another SJT on computer at the end of assessment day, which will help the interviewers generate interview questions based on the SJT answers the candidate gives. Hope this helps.

jayrod

Hi Jayrod,

I believe you are referring to online SJT and online MiniScaat. They are different. Once a person has passed the assessment day, they are advised to complete another SJT on computer at the end of assessment day, which will help the interviewers generate interview questions based on the SJT answers the candidate gives. Hope this helps.
Thank you.

siraning

Hiya, does anyone know how long after you start the course that you can take annual leave please? E.g starting date in August, will November be too early to take annual leave?

soxiez

Hiya, does anyone know how long after you start the course that you can take annual leave please? E.g starting date in August, will November be too early to take annual leave?
i'm not 100% sure, but i believe you are given pre designated time off when training, like when you were in school. so, 2 weeks off once you pass the rules module for example (providing you pass, if you don't i think you have to resit it during the first week of 'holiday'). this is to ensure everyone is learning at the same pace. not sure how it works once you're paired up with a driving instructor, i imagine you just mirror whatever holiday they have booked off. but i could be wrong, that's just the impression i get

Chuchu

If I'm not mistaken, the dates are set by the company, so everyone from your group goes at the same time.

siraning

i'm not 100% sure, but i believe you are given pre designated time off when training, like when you were in school. so, 2 weeks off once you pass the rules module for example (providing you pass, if you don't i think you have to resit it during the first week of 'holiday'). this is to ensure everyone is learning at the same pace. not sure how it works once you're paired up with a driving instructor, i imagine you just mirror whatever holiday they have booked off. but i could be wrong, that's just the impression i get
Ok thank you

If I'm not mistaken, the dates are set by the company, so everyone from your group goes at the same time.
Okay thank you

So I may have to postpone my honeymoon in November then…hmmm

choochoochoo

Established Member

Once you're out with your instructor you can put in for leave for when you want if their leave doesn't suit you.

westcoaster

Established Member
They'll probably cater around you, jus means everyone will be off in November. This ensures you don't miss out.
You will have set leave whilst in the training school. It's all set out in advance.
They may ask if you want to postpone your training slot if it's an issue.

choochoochoo

Established Member
You will have set leave whilst in the training school. It's all set out in advance.
They may ask if you want to postpone your training slot if it's an issue.
Possibly they may be lenient if the leave request coincides with a few weeks of front end turns.

Might sound sacrilegious to a few out there, but won't hurt your training too much if you miss a few weeks front-ending. Chances are you'll be doing plenty of front ending after training school anyway as the wait for a driving instructor is going to be LONG.

Sheps7755

Sorry to be a pain…does anyone know how many months is classroom based work please? (0900-1530, right?)
14 weeks in total with weeks given to front end turns. Then traction which is usually 2-3 weeks depending on what traction is required. Then other courses, Low rail adhesion is a half day and if you've applied for Hornsey NCL is another week.

Luckyflames

Did anyone on here attend an assessment day at Croydon go ahead house on Thursday 20th May 2021 please ??

siraning

Hi guys,

a question for those who have started with GN already? What was the arrangement for attending Letchworth Training Academy please? Did you travel in everyday?

thank you in advance

choochoochoo

Established Member
Hi guys,

a question for those who have started with GN already? What was the arrangement for attending Letchworth Training Academy please? Did you travel in everyday?

thank you in advance
If they're doing training at Letchworth, then normally you'll be expected to travel there most days. It's possible you may get the odd week at Hornsey or the odd day doing a depot/signal box visit. I've heard there was training near the GTR HQ in Monument too.

You should be getting a couple of extra hours pay added on to your day to account for travel time from what will eventually be your home depot to Letchworth.

You should also get meal vouchers. The sandwich shop that delivers to the training school make some good sandwiches.

siraning

If they're doing training at Letchworth, then normally you'll be expected to travel there most days. It's possible you may get the odd week at Hornsey or the odd day doing a depot/signal box visit. I've heard there was training near the GTR HQ in Monument too.

You should be getting a couple of extra hours pay added on to your day to account for travel time from what will eventually be your home depot to Letchworth.

You should also get meal vouchers. The sandwich shop that delivers to the training school make some good sandwiches.
Thank you for your answer. Time to start planning my route.