• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

Monkeyboy

Thanks MonkeyBoy however my rest is already done so I’m waiting on the results I wish I had spoken to you earlier I think I’ve missed a few but surly they expect you to miss a few if I knew it was all about accuracy I would have gone much slower

Monkey boy just a quick question, you mentioned you missed some on the last sub test, did you miss any others on the first two? And how much roughly of each test did you think you completed
Hi all, I just want to let you know how I did mine on the day. I already knew before hand from a friend of mine who had done his the week before with GTR the following info. The first test goes find one of the same upper case letter, this lasts 2 minutes. The next test is one upper case and another lower case letter. These are 2 different letters, but the same throughout. This lasted 2 minutes. Final test is the same first upper letter throughout, and then the other letter is the first letter of each new line you go down to, so the letter that starts each line is the other one your looking for on that line. When you go to the next line, then its the letter that starts that line that you are looking for until the end of that particular line, and so on.
The first letter mentioned at the beginning always stays the same. Hope that wasn't too confusing! This third test lasts 3 minutes.
When you do the tests, after your time is up on each test it then automatically gets submitted and you cannot review it in any way. You also have no way of knowing how you did.
One idea would be to record it with your phone pointing at your computer screen and recording it. At least that way you can see how you did afterwards. You can also see how many lines you did and if you missed any. Mine were test 1, 22 lines, 0 misses. Test 2, 26 lines, 0 misses, test 3, 22 lines, 3 misses.
I felt it also helps to say out loud as your doing each one, what letter your looking for.
Thats a pretty definitive summary of my experience of my test. Hope it all helps. I'm still waiting for my DMI so will post my experience of it once I've had it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Monkeyboy

Managed 32 lines and 30 lines on test 1&3, but I completely fluffed test 2 as I only managed 22 lines with several misses. Completely lost all composure during that test, so not expecting to progress- you live and you learn!

Definitely agree saying the letters out loud helps a lot to anyone else doing the mini scaat anytime soon.
Hi, I don't know when you did yours but if you haven't had your results yet, then unless you really messed up on tests 1 and 3, i think you're probably fine for test 2. 22 lines is perfectly fine as long as you have accuracy, and as i said before, I missed 3 on my third test and still got through. I had also thought I'd messed up one of my tests due to feeling I had taken far too long on one of them, and was surprised when i got a positive result. You're probably being too harsh on yourself, especially being caught up in the moment of it. Don't beat yourself up about it.

Quin79

Re people commenting how many lines they did on that mini scaat, how do you know everyone had the same test? I mean someone may have completed less lines but they may have had more letters to check on those fewer lines.

Fahim

Hi, I don't know when you did yours but if you haven't had your results yet, then unless you really messed up on tests 1 and 3, i think you're probably fine for test 2. 22 lines is perfectly fine as long as you have accuracy, and as i said before, I missed 3 on my third test and still got through. I had also thought I'd messed up one of my tests due to feeling I had taken far too long on one of them, and was surprised when i got a positive result. You're probably being too harsh on yourself, especially being caught up in the moment of it. Don't beat yourself up about it.
Deadline is 19th, so I should get the results the following day.. I missed around 5-6 on test 2 which is why I'm not too confident. Test 1 & 3 I was pleased about, got my fingers crossed

SpamHammer

Re people commenting how many lines they did on that mini scaat, how do you know everyone had the same test? I mean someone may have completed less lines but they may have had more letters to check on those fewer lines.
Short answer: they don't.

I feel like I can see a lot of people tying themselves up in knots wondering how many is enough, how many everyone else got etc.

It seems entirely pointless to me. Follow the instructions, do the practice example they provide and just relax! Efforts to game the system will come unstuck sooner or later. If you have what it takes you'll be ok.

Bn98

Short answer: they don't.

I feel like I can see a lot of people tying themselves up in knots wondering how many is enough, how many everyone else got etc.

It seems entirely pointless to me. Follow the instructions, do the practice example they provide and just relax! Efforts to game the system will come unstuck sooner or later. If you have what it takes you'll be ok.
This! 1000 times this!!

Kay_M

DFFT is part of the assessments for GTR. Are the only TOC that I know of that doesn't use it. I only know about GTR and SE though so could be others.
So you could fail the DFFT twice but still be able to apply for SE for example. Know of one person thag has managed it this way. Hope this helps at all
I know Arriva Rail London does the DFFT as well and I think MTR Crossrail does this too.

Monkeyboy

Deadline is 19th, so I should get the results the following day.. I missed around 5-6 on test 2 which is why I'm not too confident. Test 1 & 3 I was pleased about, got my fingers crossed
Fingers crossed for you mate. Let us know how you got on.

Stigy

Established Member
Yes, DFFT is part of the assessment I sat yesterday for GTR (Southern) - I assume it would also be included for other TOC’s but can’t say for certain.
It’s only part of the assessments for those TOCs/FOCs who assess to enhanced standards.

Jose Manuel

Hi guys,

A quick question and I do apologise if it has been asked/answered before. I applied for Southern, Northern and Thameslink on the 13th Dec last year, and I have done the STJ and miniSCAAT for Southern, however, I have still no heard back from the other two, whether is positive or negative. Nothing since the application was submitted. Should I take it as a no?

thanks guys!

Prince85

Hi all, I just want to let you know how I did mine on the day. I already knew before hand from a friend of mine who had done his the week before with GTR the following info. The first test goes find one of the same upper case letter, this lasts 2 minutes. The next test is one upper case and another lower case letter. These are 2 different letters, but the same throughout. This lasted 2 minutes. Final test is the same first upper letter throughout, and then the other letter is the first letter of each new line you go down to, so the letter that starts each line is the other one your looking for on that line. When you go to the next line, then its the letter that starts that line that you are looking for until the end of that particular line, and so on.
The first letter mentioned at the beginning always stays the same. Hope that wasn't too confusing! This third test lasts 3 minutes.
When you do the tests, after your time is up on each test it then automatically gets submitted and you cannot review it in any way. You also have no way of knowing how you did.
One idea would be to record it with your phone pointing at your computer screen and recording it. At least that way you can see how you did afterwards. You can also see how many lines you did and if you missed any. Mine were test 1, 22 lines, 0 misses. Test 2, 26 lines, 0 misses, test 3, 22 lines, 3 misses.
I felt it also helps to say out loud as your doing each one, what letter your looking for.
Thats a pretty definitive summary of my experience of my test. Hope it all helps. I'm still waiting for my DMI so will post my experience of it once I've had it.
Legend even though I’ve done my test this will help everyone else out there goodluck everyone and monkeyboy thanks for all the information

amansid

Managed 32 lines and 30 lines on test 1&3, but I completely fluffed test 2 as I only managed 22 lines with several misses. Completely lost all composure during that test, so not expecting to progress- you live and you learn!

Definitely agree saying the letters out loud helps a lot to anyone else doing the mini scaat anytime soon.
Hey Fahim.
I feel, I also messed up on Test 2. Have you got an Email back yet?

CKR

Hi guys,

A quick question and I do apologise if it has been asked/answered before. I applied for Southern, Northern and Thameslink on the 13th Dec last year, and I have done the STJ and miniSCAAT for Southern, however, I have still no heard back from the other two, whether is positive or negative. Nothing since the application was submitted. Should I take it as a no?

thanks guys!
Just a waiting game mate, good news or bad news you’ll get a response

SpamHammer

Hey Guys. I just did the Mini Scaat, which I video recorded. I did ok on Test 1 and 3 but made 5 mistakes on Test 2!
Am I right in saying, that’s a fail?
I believe 4 mistakes is the limit according to the payable practice papers from OPC...
Feel so gutted
No-one knows if it's good enough or not except the GTR recruitment team. They don't post on here so no-one is going to give you a reliable answer.

Wait for them to email you directly with a yay/nay. This idea of people recording themselves and evaluating their own results is ridiculous imo.

amansid

No-one knows if it's good enough or not except the GTR recruitment team. They don't post on here so no-one is going to give you a reliable answer.

Wait for them to email you directly with a yay/nay. This idea of people recording themselves and evaluating their own results is ridiculous imo.
I agree bro. I regret it

masif1

Hi all,

Hope you're all well. I'm new to this forum, just signed up today.

I've passed both online assessments; GTR1 Online Test and MiniScaat Online Test and now waiting to attend a Train Driver Assessment at their Head Office in Croydon.

The assessment slots for February are full up and I just received an email from them today regarding March "received two assessment centre dates in March and both of these dates have now been booked and allocated."

Does anyone know how these assessment days are allocated is there some kind of priority?

Also, what should I expect on this assessment day, what preparation can I do?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Carl98k

Hi all,

I've passed both online assessments; GTR1 Online Test and MiniScaat Online Test and now waiting to attend a Train Driver Assessment at their Head Office in Croydon.

The assessment slots for February are full up and I just received an email from them today regarding March "received two assessment centre dates in March and both of these dates have now been booked and allocated."

Does anyone know how these assessment days are allocated is there some kind of priority?

I’ve had the same email. They said they would be in touch once they have more dates. Just to be patient and wait.

Tb12

Hi all,

Assessment days are proving difficult for GTR due to covid. If you do get an email do not hesitate to book a day as they may all dissappear before you get a chance. I went back to an invite email for an interview later that day and all time slots were gone.

In terms of preparation they will email you a pack with a guide to what tests you will sit. There is a lot of info on the forums about them. Full instructions are given before each test on the day. Just listen to the full instructions when doing the tests and you will be fine

Mman1500

Hi all,

I got the same email

Daz88

I got the same email
I thought if you pass the mini scaat and get through to assessment day it is held at OPC not at GTR or Southern in Croydon or am I wrong ?

congrats to everyone who has progressed to an assessment day tho.

Prince85

Hey Guys. I just did the Mini Scaat, which I video recorded. I did ok on Test 1 and 3 but made 5 mistakes on Test 2!
Am I right in saying, that’s a fail?
I believe 4 mistakes is the limit according to the payable practice papers from OPC...
Feel so gutted
How do you know 4 is the limit? And are you saying 4 in total across three of the test?

It’s called Train Driver Tests: The Ultimate Guide for Passing the New Trainee Train Driver
Thanks Hustlequeen

Last edited: