• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

amansid

How do you know 4 is the limit? And are you saying 4 in total across three of the test?

Thanks Hustlequeen
Hey Prince.
If you purchase the Practice Papers from the OPC site, on the answer sheets, it explains how to mark the tests and mentions, if your overall score (ticked-mistakes) is equal to 74 or higher then your speed is good and then mentions, however if your mistakes are more then 4, no matter how many lines you’ve done, to concentrate to accuracy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Prince85

Hey Prince.
If you purchase the Practice Papers from the OPC site, on the answer sheets, it explains how to mark the tests and mentions, if your overall score (ticked-mistakes) is equal to 74 or higher then your speed is good and then mentions, however if your mistakes are more then 4, no matter how many lines you’ve done, to concentrate to accuracy.
Hey Prince.
Thanks amansid, that is useful to know, I mean I don’t know how many I’ve missed I know I don’t tick any wrong ones but god only knows if I missed some which I think I did but how many I don’t know as I didn’t film it but I guess like yourself i will have to wait and see fingered crossed for the both of us and everyone else out there that’s awaiting any results

Mman1500

I thought if you pass the mini scaat and get through to assessment day it is held at OPC not at GTR or Southern in Croydon or am I wrong ?

congrats to everyone who has progressed to an assessment day tho
I thought if you pass the mini scaat and get through to assessment day it is held at OPC not at GTR or Southern in Croydon or am I wrong ?

congrats to everyone who has progressed to an assessment day tho.
Croydon for me.

Bn98

Hey Guys. I just did the Mini Scaat, which I video recorded. I did ok on Test 1 and 3 but made 5 mistakes on Test 2!
Am I right in saying, that’s a fail?
I believe 4 mistakes is the limit according to the payable practice papers from OPC...
Feel so gutted
You are either bold or stupid to be posting the fact that you recorded the test here. I would advise strongly that you don't boast about what can essentially be deemed as cheating (let alone the complicated matter of is it your "property/content" to record. If for whatever reason any one of the members on this forum have any vague connection to GTR and take a disliking to what you have done, it is not unheard of for you to be barred from attempting any further recruitment.
People will have different views but this is frankly stupid.

amansid

You are either bold or stupid to be posting the fact that you recorded the test here. I would advise strongly that you don't boast about what can essentially be deemed as cheating (let alone the complicated matter of is it your "property/content" to record. If for whatever reason any one of the members on this forum have any vague connection to GTR and take a disliking to what you have done, it is not unheard of for you to be barred from attempting any further recruitment.
People will have different views but this is frankly stupid.
How is that cheating? How did I get an advantage by recording my test ?

Bn98

How is that cheating? How did I get an advantage by recording my test ?
When you have ever sat an assessment before in person/online, did the invigilator ever say: "feel free to record this"... Or was it more along the lines of "no electronic devices can be used"... Yes there is a reason for it.
Having been on the administering end many times, I know that the majority of the policies I have come across would mean at least an instant fail for anyone trying to essentially short circuit the process.

Lets look at it this way, what do you intend to do with the recording?

Of course that is just my opinion and that of previous employers but it is sort of just common sense really. If you really want to know, either read the "boring" bits of the test policies or go ask GTR for yourself - I think we can all guess the answer :P

Daz88

Hi all, I just want to let you know how I did mine on the day. I already knew before hand from a friend of mine who had done his the week before with GTR the following info. The first test goes find one of the same upper case letter, this lasts 2 minutes. The next test is one upper case and another lower case letter. These are 2 different letters, but the same throughout. This lasted 2 minutes. Final test is the same first upper letter throughout, and then the other letter is the first letter of each new line you go down to, so the letter that starts each line is the other one your looking for on that line. When you go to the next line, then its the letter that starts that line that you are looking for until the end of that particular line, and so on.
The first letter mentioned at the beginning always stays the same. Hope that wasn't too confusing! This third test lasts 3 minutes.
When you do the tests, after your time is up on each test it then automatically gets submitted and you cannot review it in any way. You also have no way of knowing how you did.
One idea would be to record it with your phone pointing at your computer screen and recording it. At least that way you can see how you did afterwards. You can also see how many lines you did and if you missed any. Mine were test 1, 22 lines, 0 misses. Test 2, 26 lines, 0 misses, test 3, 22 lines, 3 misses.
I felt it also helps to say out loud as your doing each one, what letter your looking for.
Thats a pretty definitive summary of my experience of my test. Hope it all helps. I'm still waiting for my DMI so will post my experience of it once I've had it.
Hi just a quick question when completing the Mini Scaat for example If your target letter is T and then your in the process of competing a row and then you realised you have missed a character on a previous row can you just go back and select the character or do you have to deselect all the ones you have selected to then select the one you missed.

I hope that makes sense.

I have just completed my Mini Scaat me worried this has caught me out.

if you could let me know your thoughts that would be great.

35mmags

Hi all,

Hope you're all well. I'm new to this forum, just signed up today.

I've passed both online assessments; GTR1 Online Test and MiniScaat Online Test and now waiting to attend a Train Driver Assessment at their Head Office in Croydon.

The assessment slots for February are full up and I just received an email from them today regarding March "received two assessment centre dates in March and both of these dates have now been booked and allocated."

Does anyone know how these assessment days are allocated is there some kind of priority?

Also, what should I expect on this assessment day, what preparation can I do?

Thanks for your help in advance.
I got this email too Totally understandable right now with the current situation. Hopefully they will get back to us soon with more dates, as it's always nice to have something specific to aim for

Jogi

Deadline is 19th, so I should get the results the following day.. I missed around 5-6 on test 2 which is why I'm not too confident. Test 1 & 3 I was pleased about, got my fingers crossed
Did you get your result, as I still haven’t heard anything back?

Sky9417

I just got the result of my Mini Scatt test from closing date of 19th Feb. I passed and awaiting a assessment day date.

Jogi

Congratulations sky9417, I just received the results and passed. They will be in touch next week regarding assessment dates. Good luck for next stage everyone.

asdfwho

I received an email too saying I’ve passed the Mini Scaat. Have never taken any assessments before so will hopefully receive an invite within the next week or two - if they’re available!

Quin79

Chuffed I passed the mini scaat despite having my reservations. Time to start prep for DMI. Good luck to all those still waiting to hear back

Fahim

Did you get your result, as I still haven’t heard anything back?
As I feared I didn't make it. Completely messed up that second test. Onwards and upwards, good luck to everyone who passed

Jose Manuel

Got my results as well, and I didnt make it. I have already 2 applications with Northern and Thameslink pending to hear from them, not sure if this result will automatically takes me out?

Bit down atm but we can we do, the email said "testing is based around verbal & numerical reasoning, safety and emotional intelligence" which I think in part I passed on the STJ and maybe is a result of both combined? I didn't rush during the miniSCAAT and was more focused on accuracy rather than hitting lines. I guess it must have been that. Not sure why they cannot provide feedback given they probably a score you must hit in order to keep going.

All the best to those who have passed!

WilliamJones

Hi all
I've passed all online stages for the Southern driver application but they emailed me saying that they have no dates for Feb and March.

I also have a Southeastern driver assessment that I can book in for a date to go and sit the tests.

Does anyone know if the Southern and Southeastern assessments are the same or if there are any other added parts?

Also if I do pass (fingers crossed) would it be best to contact the other TOC company to inform them and decide which company I would like to progress with?

Mattydo

Whilst they are both Govia run there are differences in the recruitment process. GTR includes the dfft im not sure SE does. The DMI is quite different in style. They will have different expectations from your psychometric test scores. Nobody knows what those scores are though. There is a thread about the SE DMI which is useful though.

You will receive all the information you need to prepare from the company before the tests and alongside the GB tool in the sticky at the top they should be sufficient to prepare you for the day.

good luck.

Hi all
I've passed all online stages for the Southern driver application but they emailed me saying that they have no dates for Feb and March.

I also have a Southeastern driver assessment that I can book in for a date to go and sit the tests.

Does anyone know if the Southern and Southeastern assessments are the same or if there are any other added parts?

Also if I do pass (fingers crossed) would it be best to contact the other TOC company to inform them and decide which company I would like to progress with?
Southeastern have the VSE (visual search exercise) as an additional test but no DFFT

WilliamJones

Thanks for the assistance guys. Been practicing for about a month now so fingers crossed all this will pay off. Good luck to everybody!!!:D

A351

Hi everyone,

Those of you who have recently sat your assessments with SN in Croydon (for the first time) did this also include an MMI or was it just tests?