• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

Cassy j

If you are successful for the role can you chose what depot you can be based at? E.G northern kings cross?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dth

If you are successful for the role can you chose what depot you can be based at? E.G northern kings cross?
No. You apply for the depot at the start of the application process. There is a small possibility that if a depot is over subscribed, and you have been successfully recruited, you may be offered a choice of another depot.

MeatAndTwoMeg

For those of you that have completed the mini SCAAT, did you find test 2 harder than test 3? I expected the attention switching aspect to be difficult, but I think I did well on that. Still awaiting the results and am thinking test 2 might be my downfall. Fingers crossed for everyone in the process.

Trainmummy

Has anyone heard anything from thameslink recently, as in unsuccessful or successful in the first sift? Still not heard anything and wondering if anyone has been informed either way recently?

Aftv49

Thank you to everyone on the forum for the invaluable information. I applied for the trainee driver role and passed my assessments and DMI. Now I am awaiting a start date.

Good luck to everyone else in the process.

Martin93

Thank you to everyone on the forum for the invaluable information. I applied for the trainee driver role and passed my assessments and DMI. Now I am awaiting a start date.

Congratulations

C00k1e

Good luck to everyone else in the process
Congratulations and well done, if you don’t mind me asking was your application from the Dec 20 recruitment campaign?

Last edited:

C00k1e

Wow, that was quick! I’m presuming you had previously passed assessments etc prior? If so did you have to resit MMI? Just wondering as I am waiting for dmi date after passing assessments, dmi and mmi with another toc prior to applying for this role.

Aftv49

Wow, that was quick! I’m presuming you had previously passed assessments etc prior? If so did you have to resit MMI? Just wondering as I am waiting for dmi date after passing assessments, dmi and mmi with another toc prior to applying for this role.
Yes, I had already passed my assessments and no, I didn’t have to resit the MMI. If you have already passed all your assessments to GTR’s standards, then all you’ll need to pass is the DMI. Good luck on your DMI! I hope you do well mate. I was told that for every 1 position as a trainee, their are 3,500 applicants vying for that 1 position.

Wow that was quick. I booked my DMI today having previously passing assessment centre in 2019. Well done
Thanks again mate! I hope you do well and pass your DMI.

C00k1e

Yes, I had already passed my assessments and no, I didn’t have to resit the MMI. If you have already passed all your assessments to GTR’s standards, then all you’ll need to pass is the DMI. Good luck on your DMI! I hope you do well mate. I was told that for every 1 position as a trainee, their are 3,500 applicants vying for that 1 position.

Thanks again mate! I hope you do well and pass your DMI.
Thank you and good luck for your training course

Need2

Which depot will you be at?

TheFish

Congratulations!

I passed the mini SCAAT in Feb and after having my first assessment day cancelled due to lack of assessors, I got an email today to book in for a day in Croydon. This is for TL, I didn’t make the sift for Southern.

Good luck to everyone else waiting for an assessment date, the recruitment team sent through tons of practice material with the booking confirmation, so plenty to keep me busy while I prepare.

Aftv49

Congratulations!

I passed the mini SCAAT in Feb and after having my first assessment day cancelled due to lack of assessors, I got an email today to book in for a day in Croydon. This is for TL, I didn’t make the sift for Southern.

Good luck to everyone else waiting for an assessment date, the recruitment team sent through tons of practice material with the booking confirmation, so plenty to keep me busy while I prepare.

Thanks mate :)

I hope you do well at the assessment centre. Use the wealth of knowledge on the forum to your benefit.

As long as you prepare in advance, then I’m sure you’ll pass everything.

All the best and good luck!

Twotwo

Congratulations! I've got an invite for the assesments but I've sat them previously. Does anyone know if GN do the DFFT?

whoosh

Established Member

If you want to eventually end up at a different depot than the one you applied for a vacancy at, you have to do two years productive work there first before you can go on the lateral transfer list to swap depots.

Bedford is the depot with the highest number waiting to transfer there, with almost 50. Basically, that driver who's bottom of the list is going to have to wait for about half the depot to retire or die before they get there.

Peterborough is second with nearly 25 (so about a third of the depot need to die or retire before the bottom of the list gets there)

Luton is popular at just under twenty.

Cambridge has almost 15 on it's waiting list, but has about 90 drivers currently, so proportionally isn't as bad.

Kings Cross is a small depot now that most drivers were moved to the new traincrew depot at Hornsey. Theres only about 36 drivers for GTR at Kings Cross now, making it the same size depot as King Lynn. Both Kings Cross and Kings Lynn have a similar sized waiting list at 6-8 but that's proportionally longer than Cambridge's, although they tend to have a higher proportion of older drivers which might make a vacancy come around more quickly.

The other depot's waiting lists aren't too bad with single figures currently

Having said all that, if someone retires at Kings Lynn, a person currently at Cambridge will fill the vacancy, and a person from Welwyn will fill that one, and someone from Hornsey will move into that one. So there's a whole chain reaction from one person retiring.

Mattydo

If you want to eventually end up at a different depot than the one you applied for a vacancy at, you have to do two years productive work there first before you can go on the lateral transfer list to swap depots.

Bedford is the depot with the highest number waiting to transfer there, with almost 50. Basically, that driver who's bottom of the list is going to have to wait for about half the depot to retire or die before they get there.

Peterborough is second with nearly 25 (so about a third of the depot need to die or retire before the bottom of the list gets there)

Luton is popular at just under twenty.

Cambridge has almost 15 on it's waiting list, but has about 90 drivers currently, so proportionally isn't as bad.

Kings Cross is a small depot now that most drivers were moved to the new traincrew depot at Hornsey. Theres only about 36 drivers for GTR at Kings Cross now, making it the same size depot as King Lynn. Both Kings Cross and Kings Lynn have a similar sized waiting list at 6-8 but that's proportionally longer than Cambridge's, although they tend to have a higher proportion of older drivers which might make a vacancy come around more quickly.

The other depot's waiting lists aren't too bad with single figures currently

Having said all that, if someone retires at Kings Lynn, a person currently at Cambridge will fill the vacancy, and a person from Welwyn will fill that one, and someone from Hornsey will move into that one. So there's a whole chain reaction from one person retiring.

interesting info. Do drivers transfer between TL and GN depots then ? I know Southern is a whole different thing but just out of curiosity.

387star

On Moderation
interesting info. Do drivers transfer between TL and GN depots then ? I know Southern is a whole different thing but just out of curiosity.
Yes as they are on the same conditions. Southern might as well be a seperate entity ! I know of a driver going from TL to GN