• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

Spaniard

Got invited to mini Scaat today. Any tips?
I stresses about it because any failure means game over. Turns out it was pretty easy. You look for a certain letter either upper or lower case and you have to click on it.

The second one is same letter with another upper or lower case so your looking for 2.

Last one is the first letter of each line along with another letter.

Honestly it's not difficult and it's over before you know it. There are a few practise ones out there which you should try so you get use to the test layout.

All.being well you'll.pass it and wait anxiously for.the assessment center where things get tougher

Thankfully I had my interview invite today. So I have my DMI the end of this month.. Good luck everyone ☺️
How was the assessment center

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DawnieC

hiya all female here lol
ive done the questionnaire and then an online assesment, got an email today to say ill be recieveing the mini scat test soon, im really proud of myself for getting this far!! im hoping to make it as its my way out of an abusive marriage and ill be able to to fend for my teens and myself on my own :) any tips for the scat test as ive no idea what it contains? i have had a look but cant see any free resorces everyone wants money and my bank says piss off not a chance lol
thank you in advance for any help and good luck to you all x

sei108

hiya all female here lol
ive done the questionnaire and then an online assesment, got an email today to say ill be recieveing the mini scat test soon, im really proud of myself for getting this far!! im hoping to make it as its my way out of an abusive marriage and ill be able to to fend for my teens and myself on my own :) any tips for the scat test as ive no idea what it contains? i have had a look but cant see any free resorces everyone wants money and my bank says piss off not a chance lol
Hi @DawnieC well done on getting this far, I am also at the same stage as you and quite ecstatic about it as it's not lost on me how hard it is to progress. I also got invited to the Mini Scaat but have not received the invite as of yet, wondering if you have? Or maybe there is an error somewhere? The invite for the GTR-1 came a few minutes after the initial email confirming the invite.

Going to keep an eye out and maybe contact them on Monday if I hear nothing as the deadline is towards end of next week for me. I found some practice by using the search function above and also the OPC site has some tests on it some free and some paid. Good luck :D

Driver_wife

M
I stresses about it because any failure means game over. Turns out it was pretty easy. You look for a certain letter either upper or lower case and you have to click on it.

The second one is same letter with another upper or lower case so your looking for 2.

Last one is the first letter of each line along with another letter.

Honestly it's not difficult and it's over before you know it. There are a few practise ones out there which you should try so you get use to the test layout.

All.being well you'll.pass it and wait anxiously for.the assessment center where things get tougher

How was the assessment center
hi, it was tough but I was well prepared. They send material before you go to help aid you on the day. I suggest you go through this a few times more so you know what to expect. There are several paper tests then a few computer based tests. Everyone finds different things hardest.. for me it was the computer tests and I wasn’t too sure on and the memory test in the paper ones but I guess I must have done well. All in all 5 of the 6 people I attended with passed which is positive. Good luck!

Spaniard

hiya all female here lol
The mini scaat is very simple. I think there's 10 letters on each line and they ask you to click a certain capitol letter across all the lines.

The second test is the same letter along with another Lower case letter

The third test is the same capitol letter along with the first letter that each line begins with.

The way I passed was to say the letter or letters I was looking for aloud as I scrolled through each line.

I really hope you pass so you can start your new life and get out of it what you deserve and leave your old life behind all the best

DawnieC

Hi @DawnieC well done on getting this far, I am also at the same stage as you and quite ecstatic about it as it's not lost on me how hard it is to progress. I also got invited to the Mini Scaat but have not received the invite as of yet, wondering if you have? Or maybe there is an error somewhere? The invite for the GTR-1 came a few minutes after the initial email confirming the invite.

Going to keep an eye out and maybe contact them on Monday if I hear nothing as the deadline is towards end of next week for me. I found some practice by using the search function above and also the OPC site has some tests on it some free and some paid. Good luck :D
Hey thank you , I've not recieved the test yet and it has to be done before the 24th if I remember correctly, ill be reminding them Monday as I want to do it ASAP x

The mini scaat is very simple. I think there's 10 letters on each line and they ask you to click a certain capitol letter across all the lines.

The second test is the same letter along with another Lower case letter

The third test is the same capitol letter along with the first letter that each line begins with.

The way I passed was to say the letter or letters I was looking for aloud as I scrolled through each line.

I really hope you pass so you can start your new life and get out of it what you deserve and leave your old life behind all the best
Thank you it looks like I'll be going into a refuge so I'm glad this process takes a while, good luck with your assessments etc hope you get the job too
New life for all of us if we pass

Bidders34

My partner didn’t get the login and password for the mini scant, however the login and password is the same as it was for the GTR-1.

kaysknight

Hi there I'm currently waiting on a date for the assessment center and like all I'm a bit anxious, worried etc as to the tests. How did u find them and how do you think u done. Hope it went well for u

Hey,

Don’t be nervous, it’s actually quite simple and fun tasks - you just have to concentrate all day and the room was freezing cold which put me off, so wear a jumper They got back to me today and told me I passed all but the group bourdon test - I chose accuracy over speed on this one and was double checking which I definitely shouldn’t have done which caused me to fail, but I have one more try so hopefully I pass them then.

You will be fine, Good Luck!

Ladder23

Established Member
Got notified today that I won’t be going further with my application

sei108

SCAAT all done :lol: feel like it went well and can only smile as it's out of my hands now. I must say I thought that one had to tally what we were asked to look for - was much simpler just clicking the requested letters. Good luck to all8-)

Having passed the online tests in January, I have been waiting for an assessment date.
Initially I was told the February dates were full and I would be contacted to book a date in March. Subsequently received further updates to say the March and April dates were full.
Received a further email today to say they have filled their dates up to the end of June with candidates randomly selected. They expect to allocate July and August dates in June.
A very long patient wait.

Spaniard

Having passed the online tests in January, I have been waiting for an assessment date.
Initially I was told the February dates were full and I would be contacted to book a date in March. Subsequently received further updates to say the March and April dates were full.
Received a further email today to say they have filled their dates up to the end of June with candidates randomly selected. They expect to allocate July and August dates in June.
I'd expect to hear the same then. I've been waiting for assessment center for quite some time. They said they'll contact me shortly to book in a date very similar to your story so I'm. It holding my breath.

My only concern is that there's only 160 jobs and they're assessing every day. In 1 day 5 out of 6 passed so vacancies are becoming more and more limited

My only concern is that there's only 160 jobs and they're assessing every day. In 1 day 5 out of 6 passed so vacancies are becoming more and more limited
The email I received said they are running at reduced capacity and only had 5 assessment centre dates allocated between now and end of June.

SNDave

Don't forget passing the psychometric assessment doesn't automatically guarantee a job. Large numbers of those will still get filtered out after doing their DMI / MMI, and unfortunately some will fail the medical right at the end. It's a long and slow process, just be positive!

Traffic71

Same here. Frustrating eh?

DawnieC

what kind of things will they be looking for at the medical ? would be handy to know if possible x

DawnieC

so got the mini scaat and ive done it, it wasnt as bad but i was shaking lol hope its not too long before i hear if it was good enough or not x good luck anyone who is waiting for assesments etc

Vision
Hearing
ECG
Medical History
Hand / Eye coordination

From what I can remember...
thank you, think i will be fine with it all fingers crossed if i get that far x

sei108

so got the mini scaat and ive done it, it wasnt as bad but i was shaking lol hope its not too long before i hear if it was good enough or not x good luck anyone who is waiting for assesments etc

thank you, think i will be fine with it all fingers crossed if i get that far x
LOL good to hear you have done it too :D I felt that slight shaking when I was doing it, I think it was more about my positioning though as the test wasn't that bad :lol: . Saying that I have been overthinking my performance since, awaiting the results email patiently!

Cassy j

Does anyone have a contact number for GTR I have been invited to the assessment centre but they haven't told me what assessments I have to do as I have passed most of them at the opc.

Spaniard

Does anyone have a contact number for GTR I have been invited to the assessment centre but they haven't told me what assessments I have to do as I have passed most of them at the opc.
They'll probably want you to pass their assessments. As far as a date for the center I've been waiting for weeks now and having read posts on this forum seems.like well be waiting a couple months at least I'd say. I had an email from them with a list of the tests if you want me to send them to you. Did you pass all the opc ones

Big dom

They'll probably want you to pass their assessments. As far as a date for the center I've been waiting for weeks now and having read posts on this forum seems.like well be waiting a couple months at least I'd say. I had an email from them with a list of the tests if you want me to send them to you. Did you pass
I haven’t even had that email mate ‍♀️

Mattydo

You’ll still have to rock up. They’ll check the database to see if your test scores meet their enhanced marks (remember every TOC that wants enhanced has their own enhanced score. It’s not standardised like the national pass). You’ll also likely have to sit the Driver Fault Finding Test (DFFT) as they require it as per of their testing but not many other TOC’s do.