• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR 5p Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

43 302

Established Member
I went to purchase some tickets last night for various journeys on the GWR website only for a return on any GWR route to cost 5p, or 10p in First Class. I presume this is some sort of error and not a really good offer! I noticed on twitter GWR claimed that these are not valid tickets but seeing as I have paid for and collected my tickets then surely they have to be valid? First journey on one of them is 1C72 0804 PAD - PLY in first class for 10p!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
I went to purchase some tickets last night for various journeys on the GWR website only for a return on any GWR route to cost 5p, or 10p in First Class. I presume this is some sort of error and not a really good offer! I noticed on twitter GWR claimed that these are not valid tickets but seeing as I have paid for and collected my tickets then surely they have to be valid? First journey on one of them is 1C72 0804 PAD - PLY in first class for 10p!

Following a number of vendor errors on online websites a few years ago, there was a change/clarification on the law where obvious mistakes in pricing could be retracted before the goods were delivered. GWR are presumably asserting that position and a holder of such a ticket could find travel refused when presenting them. There's also the long established principle of offer and reward where irrespective of a price shown on goods, that offer can be withdrawn before the contract is completed. On the case of a railway ticket, that could be at any point up to the first inspection whilst travelling.

43 302

Established Member
Following a number of vendor errors on online websites a few years ago, there was a change/clarification on the law where obvious mistakes in pricing could be retracted before the goods were delivered. GWR are presumably asserting that position and a holder of such a ticket could find travel refused when presenting them. There's also the long established principle of offer and reward where irrespective of a price shown on goods, that offer can be withdrawn before the contract is completed. On the case of a railway ticket, that could be at any point up to the first inspection whilst travelling.
But surely if I have picked up the tickets in person then the good have been delivered? They can't take them off me and make me pay an on the day fare when I would have otherwise paid for a cheaper advance.

AM9

Veteran Member
But surely if I have picked up the tickets in person then the good have been delivered? They can't take them off me and make me pay an on the day fare when I would have otherwise paid for a cheaper advance.
No, the goods are the travel, - nobody other than a collector would consider paying hundreds of pounds for a piece of card. But if you think the deal is for a ticket then congratulations, you are now the proud owner of a rare piece of railway memorabilia! You can't travel on it. I assume that it is an 'ITX' ticket which is only formally issued to registered travel companies for use as part of an inclusive tour. There was a similar thread to yours by @Aictos on 5/11/2010, but that one got sidetracked by the 'what can I do with my staff travel privilege pass to pay even less' type of discussion. I can't copy a link as I'm on a phone at the moment.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I think the legal position may be a bit wavy where a paper ticket is required. However, where there is an “obvious error”, companies like airlines can simply cancel the contract and refund you and not allow you travel.

This sort of thing is very common with mistake air fares (stuff like £20 business class return to Rio de Janeiro when it normally costs £2000).

It would ultimately be up to a judge to decide if it was an “obvious error”, and in the case of a 5p ticket a judge may feel that it isn’t that obvious, if the railway has previously done £1 sales for example. We’ve seen those sorts of *legitimate* crazy prices before.

However, a good test of whether it’s an obvious error would be whether you have identified it as one. I personally wouldn’t want to travel on one of these tickets although I know there are some here who would!

RPI

Established Member

We had a memo about this yesterday telling us to accept these tickets if presented to us.

Mainline421

Honestly I'd argue the collection of paper tickets is the point of delivery, certainly once you've boarded a train with such a ticket the point of delivery has already passed.

43 302

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. Can confirm that the guard did accept my ticket, although I don't think he looked long enough to see the price!

island

Veteran Member
Honestly I'd argue the collection of paper tickets is the point of delivery, certainly once you've boarded a train with such a ticket the point of delivery has already passed.
I don’t think this argument holds any water. Tickets are not goods, they are evidence of payment for a service, which is delivered when the journey is made.
I think the legal position may be a bit wavy where a paper ticket is required. However, where there is an “obvious error”, companies like airlines can simply cancel the contract and refund you and not allow you travel.

This sort of thing is very common with mistake air fares (stuff like £20 business class return to Rio de Janeiro when it normally costs £2000).

It would ultimately be up to a judge to decide if it was an “obvious error”, and in the case of a 5p ticket a judge may feel that it isn’t that obvious, if the railway has previously done £1 sales for example. We’ve seen those sorts of *legitimate* crazy prices before.

However, a good test of whether it’s an obvious error would be whether you have identified it as one. I personally wouldn’t want to travel on one of these tickets although I know there are some here who would!
Is the correct analysis. The train company will be in a stronger position the faster it contacts ticket holders as passengers who make further arrangements dependent on the error tickets may well claim they have acted to their detriment on the basis of the contract they thought they had with the train company.
Thanks for the replies. Can confirm that the guard did accept my ticket, although I don't think he looked long enough to see the price!
Prices are printed in rather smaller and less prominent text on the current ticket layout as compared to the APTIS-style ticket, so that probably contributes!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Advising the customers it had been cancelled in advance and cancelling the e-ticket barcode is one thing.

Doing nothing until they show up and then treating them on board as ticketless is almost certainly bait and switch.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
The law is quite clear. If a genuine error (and not a case of trying to lure you in with a low price) then the retailer can charge the correct price, the customers "right" is to either pay the correct price or not complete the purchase and there being no penalty. However, good firms will honour the incorrect price for the purposes of good customer services. That said, a few years ago Tesco inadvertently left two zeros off the end of the price on the new ipad and made everyone who had preordered at the incorrect price either pay the correct price or be refunded their deposit. This was, of course, before the products were collected/delivered.
I think the railway would be on dubious ground to say a ticket it had sold and given to its customer was no longer valid. Possibly between payment and collection, but after collection it wound be very difficult to cancel it. I'm glad to see the GWR lawyers clearly agree and have said to accept them. Albeit they are no longer available.

43 302

Established Member
If a brief was issued to staff yesterday that is unlikely.
After I picked up my tickets (there was a lot! :lol: ) I tried again and it didn't work so it seems it was corrected very quickly. Probably by 3pm yesterday.

davetheguard

Established Member
We had a memo about this yesterday telling us to accept these tickets if presented to us.

I'd of thought that not many staff, when checking tickets, would look at the price anyway.

First things to look for will surely be destination, date, and any railcard requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.