• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Advance prices got cheaper since I bought them

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
I know it's unlikely but is a possibility that someone had placed advance tickets in their basket for the cheaper price advance singles, in the meantime the OP has purchased the next more expensive tickets promptly, only for the first person to not complete their transaction, thus releasing the cheaper fares back available?

I would be interested to know what the figure that Trainsplit uses to determine “plenty of” is. Given that 6 is a specified number for the one ticket, I can assume the other one was 7+ - hardly the sort of number that you would idly put in your basket and then remove.

I vaguely remember now that when initially costing up my whole trip in the planning stages, I jotted down £4.35 each way for that leg, using dates that had Advance tickets already available, so when I got to the point of booking them a few weeks later I naturally assumed that either that tier had been scrapped or was sold out, so thought I had better grab what was still available as they might go too.

It’s a pity we’re not told how many are made available for each service but I suppose it prevents panic buying or basket hoarding.

That’ll learn me :E .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I feel sympathy for your experience Trainophile.

Slightly off topic, but a few years ago I realised that a particular Cross Country train myself and my Wife wanted tickets for only had one Advance First single left at one price. When I asked for two tickets the Cross Country (and I think other TOC owned websites behave in the same way) would only offer 2 tickets at the more expensive rate, not 1 at the cheapest and the other ticket at the more expensive price. Thus we saved a decent amount of money by booking the tickets as if we weren't travelling together and just reserved the seats together on the seating plan.

alistairlees

Established Member
I would be interested to know what the figure that Trainsplit uses to determine “plenty of” is. Given that 6 is a specified number for the one ticket, I can assume the other one was 7+ - hardly the sort of number that you would idly put in your basket and then remove.

I vaguely remember now that when initially costing up my whole trip in the planning stages, I jotted down £4.35 each way for that leg, using dates that had Advance tickets already available, so when I got to the point of booking them a few weeks later I naturally assumed that either that tier had been scrapped or was sold out, so thought I had better grab what was still available as they might go too.

It’s a pity we’re not told how many are made available for each service but I suppose it prevents panic buying or basket hoarding.

That’ll learn me :E .
"Plenty" (or other similar phrases) means at least nine are available.

trainophile

Established Member
I feel sympathy for your experience Trainophile.

Slightly off topic, but a few years ago I realised that a particular Cross Country train myself and my Wife wanted tickets for only had one Advance First single left at one price. When I asked for two tickets the Cross Country (and I think other TOC owned websites behave in the same way) would only offer 2 tickets at the more expensive rate, not 1 at the cheapest and the other ticket at the more expensive price. Thus we saved a decent amount of money by booking the tickets as if we weren't travelling together and just reserved the seats together on the seating plan.

I always start by selecting one ticket, and often (depending on which website) it pops up with how many tickets are left at that price, and if it's the last one I do the same as you.

"Plenty" (or other similar phrases) means at least nine are available.
So I rest my case about the unlikeliness of someone having over nine tickets in their basket and then removing them. I think GWR are bending their own rules a bit here, and as pointed out about it's not as if there's a sudden ticket sale either.

Haywain

Veteran Member
So I rest my case about the unlikeliness of someone having over nine tickets in their basket and then removing them. I think GWR are bending their own rules a bit here, and as pointed out about it's not as if there's a sudden ticket sale either.
If a group booking was released back into the reservation system it would have exactly this effect, as a group booking is, by definition, more than 9 tickets.

duncombec

If a group booking was released back into the reservation system it would have exactly this effect, as a group booking is, by definition, more than 9 tickets.
Considering how many language schools there are in Torbay, this seems the most likely option (perhaps an organizer who had hoped to come realised it would not be possible, and has returned their tickets).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
GWR's website mentions the following....

"There may be rare occasions where a cheaper Advance fare becomes available closer to the time of travel, for example if a group booking is cancelled and extra seats become available.

Please note that in these circumstances Advance tickets that have already been bought cannot be refunded in part or in full.
"

Link... https://www.gwr.com/your-tickets/choosing-your-ticket/advance-tickets
The two weasel words in the above statement are the "for example" which almost certainly indicates that there are other reasons as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.