• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 143 withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
617 was tyre turned at Laira last week, and already needs it again. Was parked outside SPM lathe when I left last night with 150216. Notably being an Angel 150, 216 has yet to have the WSP system fitted that the 17 Porterbrook examples received since 2018.
If anybody is after a 143, (I was arranging to have one ex GWR for a preserved line but covid put paid to that) pay close attention to the wheelsizes. There are hardly any spares left, and I anticipate many of the Pacers already in preservation will be donors to keep some running.

I notice you have joined this Forum this week so must extend a welcome to you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Correction to the above, I was expecting 617, and 621 turned up instead for turning. Ironically this being the one we selected for preservation, but had to drop.

I notice you have joined this Forum this week so must extend a welcome to you
Thank you

Apedlar12

617 was tyre turned at Laira last week, and already needs it again. Was parked outside SPM lathe when I left last night with 150216. Notably being an Angel 150, 216 has yet to have the WSP system fitted that the 17 Porterbrook examples received since 2018.
If anybody is after a 143, (I was arranging to have one ex GWR for a preserved line but covid put paid to that) pay close attention to the wheelsizes. There are hardly any spares left, and I anticipate many of the Pacers already in preservation will be donors to keep some running.
So can wheels from a 142 or 144 for example be used on a 143 or is there a slight difference in size or fittings?

torten

How hard would it be to have one fitted with new tyres? If you can fit new tyres, then there is a slightly expensive solution.

Colby James

One of the gwr examples was supposed to but this has been cancelled. Surprised none have particularly as a few 142s and 144s have
Actually not just Swindon

I do recall someone mentioning South Devon Railway was looking at awaiting a couple of 143’s from GWR however due to many needing Tyer replacements that is currently and issue and some being used for spares but they’re is still a chance the few maybe getting preserved by South Devon railway the units are unknown maybe it will be 603. 611. 612. Or either 617. 618. 619. 620 or 621 but we don’t know at this current stage for now all hopes we wait until December when it’s announced then we will learn which railway is getting the new acquisition to the railway like I said it’s a waiting game it doesn’t mean it won’t happen it is still going to happen but not for Swindon now as they declined it which was a dumb decision had Covid not got in the way or had 603 not been involved at Dwalish that could have been prevented maybe if Covid didn’t keep them soldiering on for long the unit would be their now.

just for now we wait see if south Devon ones are coming we wait if it’s. 603 if changed hands. 611. 612. 617. 618. 619. 620 or 621 for now wait and see watch this space.
As for other railways for now in wales etc we have to wait for now at least for the time being.
I just hope no more delays happen again like it did and ruined Swindon and Cricklade’s chance to get one.
For now time will tell.

Actually not just Swindon

I do recall someone mentioning South Devon Railway was looking at awaiting a couple of 143’s from GWR however due to many needing Tyer replacements that is currently and issue and some being used for spares but they’re is still a chance the few maybe getting preserved by South Devon railway the units are unknown maybe it will be 603. 611. 612. Or either 617. 618. 619. 620 or 621 but we don’t know at this current stage for now all hopes we wait until December when it’s announced then we will learn which railway is getting the new acquisition to the railway like I said it’s a waiting game it doesn’t mean it won’t happen it is still going to happen but not for Swindon now as they declined it which was a dumb decision had Covid not got in the way or had 603 not been involved at Dwalish that could have been prevented maybe if Covid didn’t keep them soldiering on for long the unit would be their now.

just for now we wait see if south Devon ones are coming we wait if it’s. 603 if changed hands. 611. 612. 617. 618. 619. 620 or 621 for now wait and see watch this space.
As for other railways for now in wales etc we have to wait for now at least for the time being.
I just hope no more delays happen again like it did and ruined Swindon and Cricklade’s chance to get one.
For now time will tell.
Would be good to see a few 143s preserved as a number of 142s and 144s have now.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Would be good to see a few 143s preserved as a number of 142s and 144s have now.
Really, how many preserved pacers do we need? There is about 12 142's and 8 144's! :rolleyes:

Let's be honest there are much better trains out there that deserved to be preserved but have not been saved.:( So why does it matter if there isn't a 143?o_O

On Moderation
Really, how many preserved pacers do we need? There is about 12 142's and 8 144's! :rolleyes:

Let's be honest there are much better trains out there that deserved to be preserved but have not been saved.:( So why does it matter if there isn't a 143?o_O
Although the 143s are the best of the breed - the Chapman seats are better than anything fitted to the 142s and 144s.

That said, I really don’t get why so many of the infernal things have been bought - particularly the 142s. If preserved lines really want an 80s generation DMU, they’d be better waiting for 156s.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Although the 143s are the best of the breed - the Chapman seats are better than anything fitted to the 142s and 144s.

That said, I really don’t get why so many of the infernal things have been bought - particularly the 142s. If preserved lines really want an 80s generation DMU, they’d be better waiting for 156s.
143's best of the breed, more like least worst? Yes, they may have better seats, but at the end of the day, we are talking about a pacer, you can't polish a turd! :D :lol:

I agree that 12 and 8 are a tad excessive but it would be nice to have at least 1 143 preserved.
Indeed, 1 or 2 of each would have been plenty. I think they'd be better off preserving a few other 80's DMU's rather than just pacers.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
143's best of the breed, more like least worst? Yes, they may have better seats, but at the end of the day, we are talking about a pacer, you can't polish a turd! :D :lol:

Indeed, 1 or 2 of each would have been plenty. I think they'd be better off preserving a few other 80's DMU's rather than just pacers.
Yes it's a shame the 151s were torched.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Yes it's a shame the 151s were torched.
Indeed.

Hopefully, the preserved pacers make people run away from them as they don't need a reminder of the rubbish they've put up with for 30 years and then the preservationists will have to admit defeat and scrap them all! :lol: :D Bring it on! Let's preserve some proper trains instead. By that I mean an actual train not a bus on train wheels!:lol:

Clarence Yard

Established Member
If you want any for sight (or haulage), don't delay as current plans are that all 8 won't be hanging around long after withdrawal - Newport has been mentioned.

LowLevel

Established Member

Angel are a bit of a pain when it comes to WSP systems. We have a microfleet of 4 Angel 156s and they've not fitted it to them. Guess which ones sound like a broken shopping trolley every autumn.

DMUfan

Does anyone have the current diagrams for the Devon 143s? I’d love to go to the Exeter area and take pictures of, and perhaps ride, a few 143s before mid December. It would be great to have an idea of where they are.

Does anyone have the current diagrams for the Devon 143s? I’d love to go to the Exeter area and take pictures of, and perhaps ride, a few 143s before mid December. It would be great to have an idea of where they are.

If you cover the Exmouth - Exeter - Paignton services you will probably get one easily as that is all they do now someone posted recently. So if its 4 diagrams with 1 set on each then it sounds like a very high proportion of everything on those through workings has a pacer attached.

father_jack

They are connected to 150s so you can't really tell. If you travel some time private message me on here and I can check on the day for you.

Apedlar12

If you cover the Exmouth - Exeter - Paignton services you will probably get one easily as that is all they do now someone posted recently. So if its 4 diagrams with 1 set on each then it sounds like a very high proportion of everything on those through workings has a pacer attached.
Yes, 4 diagrams on Monday to Saturday are booked for 150 + 143 and 3 diagrams are booked for double 150s...

DMUfan

I’ll be in Exeter this Saturday - can anyone let me know booked class 143 workings please.

Apedlar12

I’ll be in Exeter this Saturday - can anyone let me know booked class 143 workings please.
Like I said in my above post there is 4 booked diagrams for them on Saturdays unless anything changes on the day but I don't have the specific workings for them at the moment.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'm not sure I'd even go that far... two 143s decided to melt themselves, none of the other Pacers have managed that. One third of 144023 attempted it but failed. 142s had to go other routes to end their torment. :lol:

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I'm not sure I'd even go that far... two 143s decided to melt themselves, none of the other Pacers have managed that. One third of 144023 attempted it but failed. 142s had to go other routes to end their torment. :lol:
Oh yes, I forgot about the ones that BBQ'd themselves, it's a shame, those two would've made some lovely baked bean tins wouldn't they?

Speaking of baked beans and scrapheaps, when are all 143s set to become toast?

Apedlar12

Oh yes, I forgot about the ones that BBQ'd themselves, it's a shame, those two would've made some lovely baked bean tins wouldn't they?

Speaking of baked beans and scrapheaps, when are all 143s set to become toast?
I believe their last day in service is Saturday 12th December so sometime after that :(

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I believe their last day in service is Saturday 12th December so sometime after that :(
That’s a nice present for the people of the west!
Plus hopefully one or few can be spared for preservation after that.
I don’t get why people want a pacer preserved like I say before is 12 odd 142s and about 8 144s not good enough for you guys? Most people would be delighted with even one example of a class being saved.

greatvoyager

Established Member
That’s a nice present for the people of the west!

I don’t get why people want a pacer preserved like I say before is 12 odd 142s and about 8 144s not good enough for you guys? Most people would be delighted with even one example of a class being saved.
To be fair, 143s represent the South West and Wales, having spent most of their lives there, the 144s and 142s have spent most, and in most cases, all of their lives in the North. Although I don’t get it either, I can understand the desire of on a regional level.

Status
Not open for further replies.