• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 165/166 Turbo Diagrams

JN114

Established Member
It’s an emergency timetable on the Bedwyn route related to the small pandemic we have going on out there.

It see Reading to Newbury shuttles and Paddington to Bedwyns merged into a Reading to Bedwyn shuttle, as the service doesn’t reach London where the 80x are based using Reading based turbos is more logical.

Also means they don’t have to run with a guard which reduces staffing demand at a time where rail companies are suffering significantly higher sickness rates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ValleyLines142

Established Member
It was 166211 and it was sent back this morning on 2U06 from Exeter St Davids to Cardiff Central.

The declassified section of 166211 was closed off last week. Which is a shame seeing as the declassified First Class seating is the most comfortable seating on the entire train.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Also means they don’t have to run with a guard which reduces staffing demand at a time where rail companies are suffering significantly higher sickness rates

The 80x to Bedwyn run DOO anyway so no change to staffing levels.

KT530

The 80x to Bedwyn run DOO anyway so no change to staffing levels.

Class 80x operate with a Guard between Reading and Bedwyn, as they have since introduction on this route.

This is a temporary arrangement due to no union agreement yet to use the cameras in DOO use.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It’s an emergency timetable on the Bedwyn route related to the small pandemic we have going on out there.

It see Reading to Newbury shuttles and Paddington to Bedwyns merged into a Reading to Bedwyn shuttle, as the service doesn’t reach London where the 80x are based using Reading based turbos is more logical.

Is this partly to blame for the reduced service on the North Downs Line (along obviously with demand)?

JN114

Established Member
Is this partly to blame for the reduced service on the North Downs Line (along obviously with demand)?

Same reasoning yes - reduced demand + expected reduced staffing levels - N Downs is particularly susceptible as it’s a relatively limited pool of drivers that work the services

infobleep

Veteran Member
Same reasoning yes - reduced demand + expected reduced staffing levels - N Downs is particularly susceptible as it’s a relatively limited pool of drivers that work the services
Is the reduced staff levels dud to staff being off work due COVID-19? Understandable if so. Some TOCs seem to be hit worse by this than others.

JN114

Established Member
Is the reduced staff levels dud to staff being off work due COVID-19? Understandable if so. Some TOCs seem to be hit worse by this than others.

Due to expected levels of sickness - with 20/20 hindsight staff availability has been higher than projected, but a consistent reliable timetable was the overarching theme drawn from the Emergency Measures Agreements.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Due to expected levels of sickness - with 20/20 hindsight staff availability has been higher than projected, but a consistent reliable timetable was the overarching theme drawn from the Emergency Measures Agreements.
Thanks. That's interesting. I guess it means GTR had a lower expected level of sickness and/or a higher ability to work with similar expected levels of sickness, seeing as they have been running a Saturday service.

Hopefully by mid July, when they hope to further increase the timetable, they will be able to run a consistent reliable timetable to Gatwick Airport.

I see that there are two Sunday evening turbo services to Gatwick Airport and one returning to Reading but services like the Monday to Friday 9:03 Reading to Redhill are terminating at Redhill at 10:08 and not departing again to Reading until 10:44, rather than running to Gatwick Airport in between.

trolleyman

Also, the trains are much much quieter than before COVID so it’s not cost effective to run a full service either.
On a train that’s normally full and standing yesterday my guard said we had 11 people on.
When you look at fuel costs and add in staff wages your just burning money

Apedlar12

From what I saw on WNXX a couple of weeks ago, from today one of the BNP <> SJP diagrams is now booked for a 166 however that didn't happen today as 143620 + 150246 operated the 166 booked diagram instead...

The diagrams for the weekend are as follows:

Sat:
3B72 (SPM > EXD)
2B72 (EXD > BNP)
2J82 (BNP > SJP)
2B75 (SJP > BNP)
2J85 (BNP > SJP)
2B78 (SJP > BNP)
2J88 (BNP > SJP)
2B81 (SJP > BNP)
2J91 (BNP > SJP)
2B84 (SJP > BNP)
2E94 (BNP > EXD)

Sun:
5B73 (EXD > SJP)
2B73 (SJP > BNP)
2J22 (BNP > SJP)
2B76 (SJP > BNP)
2J29 (BNP > SJP)
2B79 (SJP > BNP)
2J35 (BNP > SJP)
2B82 (SJP > BNP)
2E41 (BNP > EXD)
3M75 (EXD > TAU)
2M75 (TAU > BRI)
5M75 (BRI > SPM)

geoffk

Established Member
I thought the 166s might be out of gauge on former LSWR lines ( except for Cowley Bridge - Crediton, which was originally broad gauge, of course!)

Apedlar12

I thought the 166s might be out of gauge on former LSWR lines ( except for Cowley Bridge - Crediton, which was originally broad gauge, of course!)
They did a test run in June 2019 overnight and I heard that they were cleared for Barnstaple, Exmouth, Paignton and Plymouth several months after the tests were done and since then there has been one occasion where a 166 has gone down to Plymouth in service covering to a Castle Set...

Jim

Established Member
From what I saw on WNXX a couple of weeks ago, from today one of the BNP <> SJP diagrams is now booked for a 166 however that didn't happen today as 143620 + 150246 operated the 166 booked diagram instead...

The diagrams for the weekend are as follows:

Sun:
5B73 (EXD > SJP)
2B73 (SJP > BNP)
2J22 (BNP > SJP)
2B76 (SJP > BNP)
2J29 (BNP > SJP)
2B79 (SJP > BNP)
2J35 (BNP > SJP)
2B82 (SJP > BNP)
2E41 (BNP > EXD)
3M75 (EXD > TAU)
2M75 (TAU > BRI)
5M75 (BRI > SPM)

246+620 again today :)

pompeyfan

Established Member
Bare with me a second, I’m going to play trains for the sake of playing trains, but how easy (read financially viable) would it be to take some centre cars out and insert them into other 3 car sets making a small subfleet of 4 car unit? Would it just be the case of unscrewing the bar coupling and marshalling in the other coach? The

Jim

Established Member
They did a test run in June 2019 overnight and I heard that they were cleared for Barnstaple, Exmouth, Paignton and Plymouth several months after the tests were done and since then there has been one occasion where a 166 has gone down to Plymouth in service covering to a Castle Set...
Correct regarding the overnight runs, all routes were done.
That's total rubbish about it covering a Castle, it was 16th Jan 2020, 166219 covering a Class 802 on 2P51 0725 Exeter to Plymouth

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
Bare with me a second, I’m going to play trains for the sake of playing trains, but how easy (read financially viable) would it be to take some centre cars out and insert them into other 3 car sets making a small subfleet of 4 car unit? Would it just be the case of unscrewing the bar coupling and marshalling in the other coach? The

I don't see the point, you'd just have an inflexible mess of 2 and 4 car units.

Clarence Yard

Established Member

They were actually route cleared by NR quite a time before the GWR test runs. Formal route clearance by NR does not involve physical test runs.

The TOC, however, does need to do physical test runs to satisfy itself that (for example) the stop boards, lighting and stepping distances are all correct for safe operation.

JN114

Established Member

In practice, it’s not difficult. Turbos are last of the breed of “dumb” DMUs - it doesn’t care what length it is. As to viability I’m less convinced there’s any point to it. There’s not enough work for 4 car sets outside the work that isn’t already 5 car (2+3) to justify the loss of the 3 cars.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
The issue is you would lose 3 car units and create more 2 car units, which is not what you want to do. The real problem is that there are not enough intermediate cars in the total fleet, a problem that will only be resolved if any 465 trailers become available.

pompeyfan

Established Member
The issue is you would lose 3 car units and create more 2 car units, which is not what you want to do. The real problem is that there are not enough intermediate cars in the total fleet, a problem that will only be resolved if any 465 trailers become available.

wouldn’t they be underpowered though if they took 465 trailers? We’re well into the world of fantasy

JonathanH

Veteran Member

Apedlar12

Correct regarding the overnight runs, all routes were done.
That's total rubbish about it covering a Castle, it was 16th Jan 2020, 166219 covering a Class 802 on 2P51 0725 Exeter to Plymouth

Sorry about that, it was quite a while ago and most of the Bristol to Plymouth/Penzance services are operated by castle sets so assumed it was one of them but yes it makes sense now, thanks for the clarification on that one :)

Also does anyone know if the plan is still to have two 16x diagrams on EXM <> PGN from December/January time as from what I last heard that was the plan but due to the 769s being delayed I wasn't sure if that has affected this??

cactustwirly

Established Member
Also does anyone know if the plan is still to have two 16x diagrams on EXM <> PGN from December/January time as from what I last heard that was the plan but due to the 769s being delayed I wasn't sure if that has affected this??

Depends if there are enough turbos in the West.
There are no spare turbos in the east until the 769s are in service.

Jim

Established Member
Sorry about that, it was quite a while ago and most of the Bristol to Plymouth/Penzance services are operated by castle sets so assumed it was one of them but yes it makes sense now, thanks for the clarification on that one :)

It'll certainly be interesting to see if all this causes a 143 extension again