• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 165/166 Turbo Diagrams

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
Well there won't be enough turbos to replace them I wouldn't have thought.

There's only 15 coming west (ie the 3 cars) when the 769s enter service.

I'm sure they were planned to increase services in Bristol and not to replace the 150s

RPI

Established Member
We will have to see if the 150s survive at Exeter beyond the December timetable.
Unless all of them catch fire or some other unlikely mishap then they will be there, let's not forget that the new Okehampton service is planned to be booked as a 150 and there's a very real prospect of Wellington and Cullompton reopening which in turn will see the current Cardiff Taunton services extended to at least Exeter requiring additional 2+4/Turbo/158 diagrams

JN114

Established Member
There's only 15 coming west (ie the 3 cars) when the 769s enter service.

I'm sure they were planned to increase services in Bristol and not to replace the 150s

16 surely? (101-117 excluding 115) Thames Valley aren’t keeping a solitary 3 car...

REVUpminster

165's are also coming west to Bristol, some made up to 5 coaches with 365/465 centre coaches, unless that idea has been abandoned.

Exeter depot is being reconfigured for 3 coach trains (158-166). How many 150s at Exeter that mainly operate in pairs would need replacing by 166s?

The 8 143s that operated with 150s only need 4 166s to replace them.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
165's are also coming west to Bristol, some made up to 5 coaches with 365/465 centre coaches, unless that idea has been abandoned.
Those things aren't in the same timeframe.

No replacement for the 465s has yet been ordered and I think it was indicated that the extension plan can only happen with a retraction exercise which is still under development.

Jim

Established Member
Remember this all accounts for the 769s entering traffic drama free too! I would be shocked to see any or many less 150s out of Exeter in December

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Right, there's a lot of wibble in the posts above.

The 769's are supposed to be displacing Turbos that will be additional stock in the West, not replacing 150 units or any other stock out of GWR.

The original DfT plan for the 769 units had them displacing 2 x 150/0 and 10 x 150/2 and the 150 units were earmarked by the DfT to go to Northern but the whole delay to the 769 programme, together with the DfT "buying" a lot more local GWR services during DA3, saw only the 150/0 units go north and all 20 x 150/2 are on full term lease to GWR throughout DA3.

The 465 trailers being inserted into 165/6 units is an Angel idea (hence why it is 465 only, not 365) and you have to convert the Turbos to HyDrive to be able to do it. The jury is out on whether that will be done because the 465 trailers are not coming spare as quickly as Angel thought and the whole Hydrive proposal still has to be physically proved. That 465 trailer idea has not yet been "bought" by the DfT and doesn't form part of DA3.

You can get a very nice 5 car 165 or 166 2+2 seated (with tables, if required) 5 car unit by inserting two trailers, if the concept works and the draft timings can be proved. The end coaches of a 465 would make up a very nice self charging battery unit too, ideal for branches that require 20m vehicles (hint - Cornwall).

COVID may upset all this as everyone is unsure what service levels the DfT will require in future and whether the West service enhancements will go ahead as previously planned.

Express380

The 769's are supposed to be displacing Turbos that will be additional stock in the West, not replacing 150 units or any other stock out of GWR.
COVID may upset all this as everyone is unsure what service levels the DfT will require in future and whether the West service enhancements will go ahead as previously planned.
So with this additional stock where will these Turbos mainly operate please?

REVUpminster

How many 150 units are at Exeter? They usually work in pairs so if there are 12, I am only guessing as I don't know, it would only take 6 166s to replace them out of the 21 GWR have.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
All of them.

There’s 20 GWR class 150s of which 17 are planned for traffic each day.

For the Branches there are 7:
2 for St Ives
2 for Falmouth
1 for Newquay
1 for Looe
1 for Gunnislake

That leaves 10 at Exeter for the Paignton/Exmouth Locals

REVUpminster

2 for St Ives
2 for Falmouth
1 for Newquay
1 for Looe
1 for Gunnislake

Thanks for that as "All of them" in 22119 reply did not make sense. So are these 10 trains coupled together to work 5 diagrams in normal times ie half hour service. I still often see only one unit working the covid hourly service. Next week the schools go back so I would expect the service to go back to half hour if only for the Torre school traffic.

I still expect the other 150s to be used in Cornwall

Established Member

2 for St Ives
2 for Falmouth
1 for Newquay
1 for Looe
1 for Gunnislake

Which are all Exeter based diagrams.

REVUpminster

Which are all Exeter based diagrams.
So how many diagrams ie trains work the Paignton- Exmouth in normal times of every half hour.

Also my book says Eggesford which is being extended in April can only take 3 20m coaches so there must selective door opening with the 158s end doors.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
So how many diagrams ie trains work the Paignton- Exmouth in normal times of every half hour.

Also my book says Eggesford which is being extended in April can only take 3 20m coaches so there must selective door opening with the 158s end doors.

4 Cars used to work to Barnstaple long before the 3 x Car 158s came along. Combos of 150+143 and pairs of 143s.

Established Member

I'm not sure if it is Local door or grandfather rights. The platforms at Eggesford are listed as 63m on the Down and 56m on the Up.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I'm not sure if it is Local door or grandfather rights. The platforms at Eggesford are listed as 63m on the Down and 56m on the Up.
I'd assume that's just about long enough that all doors on a 4 car 150 can be opened by hanging one end off the platform?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

2 for St Ives
2 for Falmouth
1 for Newquay
1 for Looe
1 for Gunnislake

Isn't 2 for St. Ives applicable during the Summer only ?

RPI

Established Member
Currently at Eggesford its front local door only with anything more than a 2 car (front intermediate door if a 150 at the front of a formation which is rare) both directions. When we had 150001/2 they could fit at Eggesford with the rear crew door off the platform

Isn't 2 for St. Ives applicable during the Summer only ?
Usually Easter onwards

vlad

I did Exeter to Barnstaple last year in a remarkably crowded 2-carriage 158. When we stopped at Eggesford only the front door was opened. Quite a few people got off.