• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Whilst there are other threads about the 769, GWR use of them tends to get lost amongst the ‘Northern’ discussion. There is also a GWR 769 thread in the ‘speculative discussion’ part of the Forum but seeing as they are happening, I thought I would start a dedicated thread here in the Traction & Rolling Stock forum.

To start off with, the first Class 319 (319449) for staff training / familiarisation should arrive at Reading TCD, by road move, over the next two days.

There should be another 3x 319 arriving at some stage! No news however as to when we’ll see the first 769!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sebastian O

Can someone explain what the 319s will be used for? For those of us not completely in the loop.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Can someone explain what the 319s will be used for? For those of us not completely in the loop.

Being used to free up the Heathrow Express bound 387s?

So probably some of the peak time extras which do a couple limited stop runs [one which springs to mind is the 16:36-ish Paddington - Didcot Parkway]

FGW_DID

Established Member

AFAIK the 319s wont get used apart from training and ultimately will probably go for conversion to 769 themselves. When the 769s actually roll into town the plan was/is for them to replace Turbos which will in turn replace some 387 workings to enable HEX nominated 387s to go for refitting which will then displace the HEX 332.

I presume that plan though, was accounting for Crossrail services to have actually started running.

Watch this space!!!!! :lol:

cactustwirly

Established Member
Being used to free up the Heathrow Express bound 387s?

So probably some of the peak time extras which do a couple limited stop runs [one which springs to mind is the 16:36-ish Paddington - Didcot Parkway]

That wouldn't work as I believe that's timed for a 110 mph 387, as are most of the Didcot Semi fasts.

sd0733

Established Member
319449 was just causing chaos in Crewe as I nipped to the shop. 77435 on a lorry outside the Electric Depot.

FGW_DID

Established Member
I am reliably informed that the first half of 319449 has arrived at Reading. Other bits arrive tomorrow.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
AFAIK the 319s wont get used apart from training and ultimately will probably go for conversion to 769 themselves. When the 769s actually roll into town the plan was/is for them to replace Turbos which will in turn replace some 387 workings to enable HEX nominated 387s to go for refitting which will then displace the HEX 332.

I presume that plan though, was accounting for Crossrail services to have actually started running.

Watch this space!!!!! :lol:
Would it not be more logical for 769's to replace 387's as they can run electrically powered as far as Didcot and then switch to diesel power to Oxford and beyond thus reinstating direct local services from Paddington to Oxford instead of them terminating at Didcot Parkway and since the 345's won't be running through the Thames Valley for a while I think it would be a better substitute than a DMU.

spark001uk

Established Member
Just for a visual, this is about as much as I could see on approach to rdg just now. Not sure if/when this will be a complete unit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181213-145629_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181213-145629_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 587

FGW_DID

Established Member
Just for a visual, this is about as much as I could see on approach to rdg just now. Not sure if/when this will be a complete unit.

All of 319449’s vehicles have been delivered to Reading and have been reunited. Apparently it’s on the wheel lathe head shunt so will be the opposite side of the train shed from the main line.

TheWalrus

Established Member
I had an idea: will these 769s (if successful) be able to run on the fast lines out of Paddington at 100mph? They could be used on Bedwyns to save the IETs doing it.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I had an idea: will these 769s (if successful) be able to run on the fast lines out of Paddington at 100mph? They could be used on Bedwyns to save the IETs doing it.

Why would you do that? The benefit of sending 125 mph stock to Bedwyn is that it means you don't take up two (or three) 125 mph paths with a 100 mph train. That in itself justifies the use of 125 mph stock.

If your point is about the current DOO issue, then you would expect it to be resolved before the 769s are available.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
But they already have the intended number of IETs in the fleet to run that service, since the number of commuter EMUs was adjusted downwards a few years back. The aim is to remove all 100 mph services from the mainlines between Reading and Paddington.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I'll be honest. I'm not sure how replacing very young electric trains with trains basically 25 years older is going to work or go down well with passengers despite that they will be refurbished.

However, having said that they will no doubt be much better than the Turbo trains, yes the Class 165's are perfectly fine reliable trains but the 769's will be an improvement!

superalbs

Established Member
However, having said that they will no doubt be much better than the Turbo trains, yes the Class 165's are perfectly fine reliable trains but the 769's will be an improvement!
How could you possibly know that, with no reliability stats to compare?

TheWalrus

Established Member
Why would you do that? The benefit of sending 125 mph stock to Bedwyn is that it means you don't take up two (or three) 125 mph paths with a 100 mph train. That in itself justifies the use of 125 mph stock.

If your point is about the current DOO issue, then you would expect it to be resolved before the 769s are available.

My point is about pathing. This is what I thought and why I’m asking. But I also thought what about HEX?

JN114

Established Member
I'll be honest. I'm not sure how replacing very young electric trains with trains basically 25 years older is going to work or go down well with passengers despite that they will be refurbished

They’re not replacing 387s, they’re replacing Turbos.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I'll be honest. I'm not sure how replacing very young electric trains with trains basically 25 years older is going to work or go down well with passengers despite that they will be refurbished.

On the flip side folk in Berkshire get the chance to sample the "Northern Rail Experience" with 25 year old cast offs, so all is not lost with the introduction of these 319's / 769's.

jayah

On Moderation
My point is about pathing. This is what I thought and why I’m asking. But I also thought what about HEX?

110mph HeX is meaningless without a proper traffic management system that can regulate the speed of approaching trains such that at Airport Junction they don't have a dead clash every 30mins, resulting in one train stopping and taking 4min to recover from a near standing start with a huge queue of trains stacked up behind.

The timetable requires them to dovetail effortlessly from either and both diverging routes 2-3min apart while maintaining full linespeed for the timetable to run as planned.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
On the flip side folk in Berkshire get the chance to sample the "Northern Rail Experience" with 25 year old cast offs, so all is not lost with the introduction of these 319's / 769's.

There are slightly older electric trains that still run on GWR metals - the Class 507 and 508 (dating back to 1978) that run on the Merseyrail routes to and from Chester.

childwallblues

Established Member
769431 was moved on Friday from Brush, Loughborough to Allerton Depot. Not really appropriate to this thread but posted for information.

TTA

Would the 769s potentially mean direct Henley on Thames to Paddington fast trains again as opposed to the change that happened when the 387s came in.

Status
Not open for further replies.