• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dren Ahmeti

The 3tph N Downs service was run between Lockdowns in Autumn 2020; albeit off-peak only due to insufficient rolling stock to do it in peaks. It ran all day Saturdays though.
I was only able to take small glances at it, but it seemed to run pretty well, what with the awkward interfacing with the SW’s at Guildford?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Reported elsewhere as deferred to Monday. No paths yet shown.

According to the big box there was one in passenger service on Thursday as well as two others on "5Zs".
I think it was 002 003 and 008 but don't quote me.

One of the diagrams which has been a 769 on occasions was a pair of 153s on Thursday. Think it was the 0633 from Penarth from memory.

JN114

Established Member
According to the big box there was one in passenger service on Thursday as well as two others on "5Zs".
I think it was 002 003 and 008 but don't quote me.

One of the diagrams which has been a 769 on occasions was a pair of 153s on Thursday. Think it was the 0633 from Penarth from memory.

Not for GWR there wasn’t...

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Not for GWR there wasn’t...
Oops sorry. Wrong thread
However I am sure I read somewhere recently that a GWR 769 was planned to venture out of the depot at Reading on a Wednesday. Originally 17th March, then 24th March.

Maybe third time lucky on 31st March - last day of the financial year is it ?
Perhaps someone is expecting a bank transfer !!!!!

JN114

Established Member
However I am sure I read somewhere recently that a GWR 769 was planned to venture out of the depot at Reading on a Wednesday. Originally 17th March, then 24th March.

Probably heard it in this thread -

As per the post you originally quoted, it was deferred from the dates you mention, to the dates given in post 628 by @FGW_DID

FGW_DID

Established Member
I take it that this first trip is for GWR people to see how the unit works and they then need to go through the Fault Free Running stage before any driver training can start.

This is the start of the Fault Free Running. It will be a Colas driver but there will be a GWR Driver Comp. Manager on board (so I believe).
I presume that once at least a couple of units have completed their FFR, Dvr Training would be able to commence (providing everything in the background has been dotted and crossed and all hoops jumped through!)

Real Headcode: 5Q10

Last edited:

FenMan

Established Member
This is the start of the Fault Free Running. It will be a Colas driver but there will be a GWR Driver Comp. Manager on board (so I believe).
I presume that once at least a couple of units have completed their FFR, Dvr Training would be able to commence (providing everything in the background has been dotted and crossed and all hoops jumped through!)

Real Headcode: 5Q10

Will the diesels be fired up?

Bessie

Overhead training run. That will be useful for operation on the North Downs line!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Overhead training run. That will be useful for operation on the North Downs line!
769s will use the overhead line to get on and off of Reading depot and to get to Twyford and Maidenhead for operation on the Henley and Bourne End lines. An opportunity to use the other sources of power supply will no doubt follow.

MML

Is there any intention to run 769s on the Slough to Windsor route?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Is there any intention to run 769s on the Slough to Windsor route?
No. Reasons explained in the thread above.

The only routes the 769 units are due to enter service on are the North Downs, Basingstoke, Henley and to Bourne End in the peaks. 16 diagrams from 19 units. Originally the Windsor was going to be the 16th diagram but the 4th (peak) Basingstoke unit took that one away.

Previous comment has indicated that they are not going to be cleared to run east of Maidenhead.

adc82140

Established Member
How many Turbo diagrams will remain? I can think of Windsor, Marlow and the Didcot-Oxford shuttles. Any others?

JN114

Established Member
The plan is for the 10 2 car Turbos to remain, so that will be 9 2 car diagrams as per now.

adc82140

Established Member
Will they remain allocated to Reading, or will they be based at St Phillips Marsh?

FGW_DID

Established Member
Thanks. Reported elsewhere as 943, but I'm sure you've seen the unit prepared first hand.
Where was that reported?

Definitely 769946 on 5Q10 and 769930 is the rescue unit should it all go Pete Tong.

FGW_DID

Established Member
A short video (hopefully) of 769946 on 5Q10 passing Reading TCD on the down relief heading towards Didcot.

Slightly ironic that the obfuscated head-code for todays run is 570O given that 769s will ultimately working on branch lines that at one time were worked by 5700, e.g Henley on Thames;

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Broadly what sort of mileage does each one of these units need to clock up on each of AC, DC and diesel as part of the fault-free running? Shuttling between Didcot and Maidenhead a few times (and on the DC from Basingstoke to Woking or Eastleigh) isn't going to clock the mileage up very quickly.

Mintona

Established Member
Saw it waiting to leave the depot when I passed by just before 11. There were a lot of staff on board! Glad to see it has made it out into the wild.

Dren Ahmeti

Saw it waiting to leave the depot when I passed by just before 11. There were a lot of staff on board! Glad to see it has made it out into the wild.
I just missed it, as I was going towards sparky rail territory to the South, glad to see it made it out and back.

spark001uk

Established Member
Yes seems to have gone without incident. Only on AC though, yet to be seen how it goes on the smokers.
Is the 3rd rail eqpt still complete and operational on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.