• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

43102EMR

Established Member
Someone asked GWR on Twitter whether they’d be running to Oxford/Didcot, to which the response was they’d start on the Reading - Gatwick route, then wider rollout begins. They didn’t seem to confirm or deny usage to Oxford/Didcot.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Someone asked GWR on Twitter whether they’d be running to Oxford/Didcot, to which the response was they’d start on the Reading - Gatwick route, then wider rollout begins. They didn’t seem to confirm or deny usage to Oxford/Didcot.
Use to Oxford / Didcot has been ruled out by informed contributors to this forum more closely involved in the roll out than the GWR twitter team. Indeed they also confirmed that the North Downs isn't getting them first.

The Oxford / Didcot Turbo diagrams are completely split from the diagrams for 769 routes from the May timetable change. If there was any expectation of use around Oxford, there might still be some linking of workings.

spark001uk

Established Member
I see RTT is showing north downs workings as diesel loco with load 769 tonnes. It may well have been like it a while, just haven't noticed. Assume this is a pointer to their intended imminent use, before the world went to sheet?

JN114

Established Member
I see RTT is showing north downs workings as diesel loco with load 769 tonnes. It may well have been like it a while, just haven't noticed. Assume this is a pointer to their intended imminent use, before the world went to sheet?

I think it’s been a year or so now, whenever the timetable was recast in preparation for 3 trains per hour.

They’re timed as 769s so that they don’t have to re-rewrite the timetable when they’re introduced. As said, it’s been over a year if I recall; I’d be surprised if we saw any in passenger service before the autumn based on training/testing to be done still. And even then I’m still under the impression that they’ll be on Basingstokes first; as it allows more drivers to get handling time on them then the top link(s) -only North Downs.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I'd have thought the first place they'd be introduced would be Maidenhead to Bourne End.
As it's peaks only issues can be resolved before full daytime service

There is also a Basingstoke peaks only diagram which has the advantage of having Reading TCD at one end of the route, should a problem occur requiring the unit to be swapped

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There is also a Basingstoke peaks only diagram which has the advantage of having Reading TCD at one end of the route, should a problem occur requiring the unit to be swapped
The introduction schedule in the Direct Award, reproduced in message 444, had four units entering service on the same date, 28 September 2020, which sounds like three diagrams and one spare. One possibility would be three Basingstoke diagrams in the first change but clearly there could be other options. What differs about this and other fleet introductions is that a lot of the diagrams start and finish at Reading rather than being outberthed overnight, particularly now the links to Oxford workings have been broken.

Reported elsewhere as deferred to Monday. No paths yet shown.
and took place today - a pristine 769946 went out for a spin for ac testing with lots of Colas, GWR and Porterbrook staff around. Advised that it has moved on diesel in the depot. Seating has green upholstery but layout looks unchanged. The dc pick up shoes are non-retractable and were being checked at Didcot.

5Q10 running from Reading Depot – Didcot – Maidenhead – Reading Depot.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K03950/2021-03-29/detailed

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Seating has green upholstery but layout looks unchanged.
Mainly GWR grey moquette with green moquette on the upper section of the seat like 150202/150216, which have the same 'Ashbourne' seating. 'Clarence Yard' indicated upthread (or maybe in a different thread / forum) that some of the 3+2 seating was to be restored to ensure appropriate weight distribution but does seem likely that the layout is similar to that when they operated for Thameslink. There were some interior views in the video released back in August.

brad465

Established Member
Do 769s have buffers? Cause I saw this on facebook
I don't know what the plan is on buffers but they look rather trivial in that shot, and also of a length/composition unfavourable for coupling units together (unless there are no plans to do this in service).

fgwrich

Established Member
Mainly GWR grey moquette with green moquette on the upper section of the seat like 150202/150216, which have the same 'Ashbourne' seating. 'Clarence Yard' indicated upthread (or maybe in a different thread / forum) that some of the 3+2 seating was to be restored to ensure appropriate weight distribution but does seem likely that the layout is similar to that when they operated for Thameslink. There were some interior views in the video released back in August.
I couldn't see any signs of the Air Cooling setup from the photos online today though, unless it is to be added later?

43102EMR

Established Member
I couldn't see any signs of the Air Cooling setup from the photos online today though, unless it is to be added later?
A bit difficult to see, but the pods are on there. They’re closer to the centre of the roof and smaller as opposed to the ones used on the Turbos

FGW_DID

Established Member
FFR trip on Wednesday 31/03:

5Q10 11:33 Reading TCD - Reading TCD 16:25

Running between Didcot & Maidenhead again.

(Not showing on RTT yet)

FGW_DID

Established Member

Fincra5

Established Member
Some GWR test footage (not my video)

Still looking decidedly slow on diesel mode in my opinion!
I wouldn't take too much from the speed out of the loop platform! It's 25mph max, what's the rush...

JonathanH

Veteran Member
any idea please if expected to be running on diesel or ac electric or both at different times since this a longer outing?
(Informed) suggestions elsewhere that it isn't running as two out of three of the units are broken (and the other unit can't go out for testing without a unit on standby to rescue it).

The longer trip last week was meant to involve some diesel running but it was reported to have struggled to do as much as expected.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Planned for 769930 but that was having issues last night on prep. Likelihood is that 946 won’t be available either.
Third unit still isn’t available.

10:33 confirmed by a colleague- all 3 are out of action!

Last edited:

43102EMR

Established Member
Did GWR ever look into fitting batteries into their 387s? Surely that would’ve been a better alternative than using the 769s which are clearly temperamental...

Status
Not open for further replies.