• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

43102EMR

Established Member
I was thinking of that yesterday, and of course they were new trains so no-one used it as a criticism of the actual stock…
I think the issue here is that the 769s haven’t had an easy introduction elsewhere as well as with GWR, so it’s easy to play the blame game and say the units are plagued with issues (which they are in many areas), whereas the 700s had a relatively trouble-free introduction (minus manufacturing delays/issues faced).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

St. Paddy

I was thinking of that yesterday, and of course they were new trains so no-one used it as a criticism of the actual stock…
Indeed, always an infrastructure issue, not the unit. You’d think people want this project to fail reading through this thread.

anthony263

Established Member
Tfw got 3 out of our 9 class 769s in daily service which is good as any faults which have been found can help with the gwr units.

O think an investigation will clear the 769.of fault plus in a good way it's shown the 769s rescue capabilities

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Tfw got 3 out of our 9 class 769s in daily service which is good as any faults which have been found can help with the gwr units.

O think an investigation will clear the 769.of fault plus in a good way it's shown the 769s rescue capabilities

GWRs are to operate with Diesel and Electric whereas TFWs are operating Diesel only so would a comparison be feasible..

Mollman

Established Member
GWRs are to operate with Diesel and Electric whereas TFWs are operating Diesel only so would a comparison be feasible..
Hopefully as the 'new' bit on both units is the diesel so hopefully little change in electrics from when 319. Only big difference will be the changeover between modes but you have Northern units to compare with that one.

FGW_DID

Established Member

Senna1210

From what i know a fair amount of damage to 946, it will be repaired of cause and sent back out in due course,there are other units ready to come to Reading but are being held this may release another one onto depot sooner
edited original post but facts are facts

Roger B

I was looking at some photos or Merseyrail 507/8s and noticed a largish metal square under the solebar on the driver’s side, which doesn’t appear in older photos of these units. I’m told that they’re for air con equipment for the driver’s cab. Which prompts the question whether there's room behind the valance on a 769 to install something similar? Tho I'm guessing the engineers have already considered this.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I am guessing it is possible to bolt a couple of FFCCTV cameras to the front skirts of a handful of units to monitor the third rail area either side of the running rails. These could be used to observe that the cess and "fourfoot" have no obstacles encroaching on the shoegear area.

Senna1210

I was looking at some photos or Merseyrail 507/8s and noticed a largish metal square under the solebar on the driver’s side, which doesn’t appear in older photos of these units. I’m told that they’re for air con equipment for the driver’s cab. Which prompts the question whether there's room behind the valance on a 769 to install something similar? Tho I'm guessing the engineers have already considered this.
Already been done on the tfw units but by all accounts its not much better than the cab cool system

FGW_DID

Established Member
769943 should be on FFR tomorrow (Wed 5/05) in the usual 5Q10 path.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The unit seems to have managed the complete trip without mishap today - was it all electric today?

43102EMR

Established Member
Today’s run featuring 769943 on diesel mode currently running despite all the IET chaos - on the approach to Didcot Parkway.

spark001uk

Established Member
Today’s run featuring 769943 on diesel mode currently running despite all the IET chaos - on the approach to Didcot Parkway.
Makes life easier for it if anything, less traffic.
Who knows, maybe they'll even enter service before enough iet's are back.!

43102EMR

Established Member
Makes life easier for it if anything, less traffic.
Who knows, maybe they'll even enter service before enough iet's are back.!
True, but in all honesty I would’ve thought GWR would be concentrating their efforts on minimising passenger journey disruption! It is doing wonders for the run though - currently early and running to time with no delays.

FGW_DID

Established Member
True, but in all honesty I would’ve thought GWR would be concentrating their efforts on minimising passenger journey disruption! It is doing wonders for the run though - currently early and running to time with no delays.

How is it disrupting passenger journeys? It's operating on a booked path, it's not a free for all!!

43102EMR

Established Member
How is it disrupting passenger journeys? It's operating on a booked path, it's not a free for all!!
I didn’t mean it in the way in that the run itself was disrupting journeys - I meant in terms of providing cover on driver runs with the additional 387 runs to Swindon so didn’t think there would be many drivers available.

spark001uk

Established Member
I didn’t mean it in the way in that the run itself was disrupting journeys - I meant in terms of providing cover on driver runs with the additional 387 runs to Swindon so didn’t think there would be many drivers available.
They're being driven by Colas drivers, not gwr.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Ah i see what you mean! Not to worry, it's COLAS drivers that do the FFR.

Class455

Established Member
Any idea when the first 769 is expected to make it to Redhill or Gatwick?

JN114

Established Member
Any idea when the first 769 is expected to make it to Redhill or Gatwick?

July 2018, but they’re running behind schedule.

In all seriousness - they’ve literally just started fault free running for GWR - no training, no route proving... It’ll be several months one expects before they’re in service on the North Downs. There isn’t a more accurate answer to give; as every schedule so far has proven to be inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.