• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Saw it on my morning walk heading up to Redhill - couldn't hear the engines so may have been on third rail (expect not though as it is a long descent) and then again at Reigate on return
There is, at least, one rear light showing there! Is there a serious electrical issue here? Obviously, unreliable rear lights are a major safety problem.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Minstral25

Established Member
There is, at least, one rear light showing there! Is there a serious electrical issue here? Obviously, unreliable rear lights are a major safety problem.

I think it is just because of the angle - on other photos I took it is not visible. Probably only visible if you are directly behind train.

Attachments

• PXL_20210614_083353818.jpg
    PXL_20210614_083353818.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 102
  • PXL_20210614_081240690.jpg
    PXL_20210614_081240690.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 102

skyhigh

Established Member
It's clearly just the way the camera has captured it. There's no way they'd be allowed out with 'unreliable rear lights'

FenMan

Established Member
A short video of the unit passing Blackwater northbound. Sorry about the thumb!

XAM2175

Established Member
I think it is just because of the angle - on other photos I took it is not visible. Probably only visible if you are directly behind train.
It's clearly just the way the camera has captured it. There's no way they'd be allowed out with 'unreliable rear lights'

@skyhigh has it: digital cameras and LEDs are known for not playing well with each other. You'll see a similar thing in photos of LED destination displays, and sometimes in videos of trains with LED headlights that look like they're blinking.

northernbelle

Today's test run. 769943 appeared to be running without tail-lights, at least on the outbound run, with both legs of the working seen here near Betchworth.

View attachment 98152View attachment 98153
Are you sure it isn't just a trick of the camera not having picked up the frequency of the LED lights? I notice in another photo that one light appears to be lit. It's a common issue with Class 68 photographs and destination displays on the front of buses as well!

Minstral25

Established Member
This video

Sounds like its on the DC 3rd rail

That of the motors are very quiet!

As it passed me in the cutting towards Redhill it did sound very quiet from the motors that I suspected it on third rail too, but lack of any flashes suggests that it could be the engines are quiet. Would be interesting to know. I did a short Video as well but don't have an online account to post here.

It did stand outside Reigate for a long time as there was a Southern unit in the platform (see pic), which would have enabled time to fire up engines which were audible as it passed under the Footbridge at Reigate.

Attachments

• PXL_20210614_083116792.jpg
    PXL_20210614_083116792.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 53

Bob Price

I have seen them on non electrified rails on the Valley Lines and the diesels on those are very distinct. Have a look at my YouTube video of one leaving Aber to see what I mean.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Surely that would’ve been due to the harsh sunlight? I’ve found the newer-style LEDs make it harder to see.
Certainly nothing to do with sunlight regarding tail lights (not like with destination displays) - if so, the railway's in big trouble! No, it seems that, at fast shutter speeds, some LEDs do seem to flicker and can appear to be 'out'.

I would hope not (and it seems to be a quirk of LEDs and fast shutter speeds), but errors can, and do, occur in any system. It makes me wonder, do modern control systems have indicators for failed lights? Would the driver visually check the rear before leaving the depot?

fgwrich

Established Member
Nothing to worry about - These use the latest type of LED marker light, which pulse much faster than the human eye or many camera's can catch. Indeed you will get the same result if you try and photograph a Turbo or 68 / 88.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Wednesday's trips look like they are having a go at working in actual Reading to Gatwick timings (albeit with a stop at Ash instead of North Camp).

I guess the interesting thing is how it performs against the 769 schedules with the slightly slower running times relative to the Turbo timings that applied between 1995 and 2018.

Last edited:

aleggatta

Anyone know if a retractable version of shoegear has been fitted or just appropriate ramps to the third rail that might have been missing on the appropriate junctions?

big all

On Moderation
Anyone know if a retractable version of shoegear has been fitted or just appropriate ramps to the third rail that might have been missing on the appropriate junctions?
Shoes must always be retracted otherwise all shoes are live by default on the unit even if only one is in touch with the juice rail
all dual mode traction as part off change from one to the other involves full isolation from the other mode/s to operate??
you can often check [shoe down button on a 73]if powers available to swap to but you never run with more than one mode directly connected with "changeover" isolating from then connecting too to avoid danger off cross feed ??

JN114

Established Member

769s retain the fixed shoegear of their donor 319s.

I believe all areas that may have needed ramps have been checked for ramps and those needed installed.

skyhigh

Established Member
I would hope not (and it seems to be a quirk of LEDs and fast shutter speeds), but errors can, and do, occur in any system. It makes me wonder, do modern control systems have indicators for failed lights? Would the driver visually check the rear before leaving the depot?
Modern trains do have indicators for failed lamps. Some older stock (such as 158s) have mimic panels inside the cab which also indicate if a lamp is failed, but I don't sign 769s so I don't know if they're fitted. The crew also check the head/tail lights are illuminated prior to departure and when changing ends. In addition, a train is able to proceed at linespeed with only a single tail lamp lit. To be honest, failed lamps aren't really a massive problem.

big all

On Moderation

I believe all areas that may have needed ramps have been checked for ramps and those needed installed.
on a 319 they are not actually fixed they raise rather than fully retract like a 73 but well clear off the electric rail

AM9

Veteran Member
Modern trains do have indicators for failed lamps. Some older stock (such as 158s) have mimic panels inside the cab which also indicate if a lamp is failed, but I don't sign 769s so I don't know if they're fitted. The crew also check the head/tail lights are illuminated prior to departure and when changing ends. In addition, a train is able to proceed at linespeed with only a single tail lamp lit. To be honest, failed lamps aren't really a massive problem.
Rules aside, an EMU that has lost one or more of it's cars is unlikely to go unnoticed by it's driver, or any bystander. :)

aleggatta

Shoes must always be retracted otherwise all shoes are live by default on the unit even if only one is in touch with the juice rail
all dual mode traction as part off change from one to the other involves full isolation from the other mode/s to operate??
you can often check [shoe down button on a 73]if powers available to swap to but you never run with more than one mode directly connected with "changeover" isolating from then connecting too to avoid danger off cross feed ??
I mean, even the 700s have fixed shoe gear (this caused some of the ‘lost shoes’ incidents on the GN side when they first started visiting there.) As part of training you are taught to always consider shoe gear live, even if you know it is fully isolated. The traction changeover system will be set up to not allow parallel feeds on the units, so to that end even with fixed shoegear they will only become live in a platform with third rail present? The reason for my question was more as I don’t believe a design of retractable shoegear exists for this bogie design etc, but this has been answered now.

JN114

Established Member
on a 319 they are not actually fixed they raise rather than fully retract like a 73 but well clear off the electric rail

There’s vertical “play” yes, to allow for bumps etc. but there is no mechanical means of retracting them at all, the traincrew would have to go lineside and manually tie them up if they needed to be actually raised. Any isolation as you put it, at least on the EMUs I’ve dealt with (387s and 769s) is all handled within the train - although to a 769, Diesel and DC mode are the same, and the diesel generators are tied directly into the shoe bus, they’re just a 319 with Diesel engines that pretend to be the 3rd rail.

Senna1210

769 shoe gear is fixed its as was on the 319 its not posible to raise it
the 769 gwr units have a mimic panel inside on the header panel for the headlights/tailights so the driver can see what is on

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

The shoegear has been moved to the inner bogie though - layouts are generally setup with gaps positioned to avoid a 4 car gapping

big all

On Moderation
its is 30 years since i trained on 319 so perhaps false memories sorry if i am wrong and have misled ??
we got them on the southern when the first class 319 allowed the cascade to southern suburban servivces ??

JonathanH

Veteran Member
According to RTT it looks like there may be two units heading to Gatwick today

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K06066/2021-06-16/detailed

Isn't it the same one? There are two trips but the turnaround time at Reading enables then to be the same one.

Status
Not open for further replies.