• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Seems a bit arbitrary to me given they've never carried such numbers even as 319s.
Indeed, it seems rather unnecessary and confusing when people shorten numbers to four digits.
I'm really quite curious to see the first class section - I'm wondering whether they're keeping the leather covering as was demonstrated on 166205, or if they're just using the same covers on wider seats. After all, they may want to keep it closer to the IET seats which are cloth.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I'm really quite curious to see the first class section - I'm wondering whether they're keeping the leather covering as was demonstrated on 166205, or if they're just using the same covers on wider seats.

I seem to recall it was just the same moquette with the wider seats from pictures that I thought were shared. Will have to see if I can take a look at lunchtime - 769946 appears to be behaving itself today.

That area in 166205 really isn't anything special.

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
Indeed, it seems rather unnecessary and confusing when people shorten numbers to four digits.
I'm really quite curious to see the first class section - I'm wondering whether they're keeping the leather covering as was demonstrated on 166205, or if they're just using the same covers on wider seats. After all, they may want to keep it closer to the IET seats which are cloth.
I think 166205 was considered a minor disaster and its features will not be repeated elsewhere.

fgwrich

Established Member
I seem to recall it was just the same moquette with the wider seats from pictures that I thought were shared. Will have to see if I can take a look at lunchtime - 769946 appears to be behaving itself today.

That area in 166205 really isn't anything special.
Spot on, same seats just recovered in the same Moquette as the standard class and some GWR Carpet. Either way, FC on the 319s was nothing special and I don’t expect these to be either. There wasn’t even a door to the 319 FC whereas I think the 321s (and of course Turbos do) had.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There wasn’t even a door to the 319 FC whereas I think the 321s (and of course Turbos do) had.
There was a door to first class on a 319 originally. It got removed at the last revamp in Thameslink days, possibly due to the cost of converting the door to one which could be dismantled in an emergency (which the 321s got).

768946 managed both trips on the North Downs line today. On the second eastbound trip I saw it slow at Reigate to change power but it didn't stop. Removing the intermediate stops would appear to reduce one possible source of failure.

fgwrich

Established Member
A new modification to the fleet that I don't think has been previously mentioned, they are now receiving the same style of body mounted cameras as the IETs and Turbo's, though unusually fitted at Window / CDL marker level height.

warwickshire

On Moderation
A new modification to the fleet that I don't think has been previously mentioned, they are now receiving the same style of body mounted cameras as the IETs and Turbo's, though unusually fitted at Window / CDL marker level height.
Out off interest will the guards still be fully responsible for the doors.
Or say for example on the turbos ie the body side cameras are used for existing doo services ie driver only say twyford to Henley branch line
Will this be the same for the 769s on this line only. Hence the fitment?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Out off interest will the guards still be fully responsible for the doors.
Guards haven't been fully responsible for the doors on LTV services since Turbos were introduced. Driver release and ten-bell dispatch from new although door controls have since been fitted so that may have changed.

Or say for example on the turbos ie the body side cameras are used for existing doo services ie driver only say twyford to Henley branch line
Henley and Bourne End are both DOO, originally with lookback / big mirrors.

Last edited:

warwickshire

On Moderation
Guards haven't been fully responsible for the doors on LTV services since Turbos were introduced. Driver release and ten-bell dispatch from new although door controls have since been fitted so that may have changed.

Henley and Bourne End are both DOO, originally with lookback / big mirrors.
So that means then for that purpose just the Henley 769s from twyford will be still driver only then.
All it is. Is way up thread or mentioned elsewhere on here until op mentioned about this fitment that guards due to the original features off 769 would have meant a return off them working on this line since around 1993.
Obviously with the cameras on side and being LTV services then still will remain driver only then.

DownFast

Driver release and ten-bell dispatch from new although door controls have since been fitted so that may have changed.
It started as 10 bells, then the door close buttons in cabs were modified so they were active in a non-active cab (so the guard could despatch from the rear cab) then went to the guard closing from the saloon panel once these were installed.

769s will be the same method of work for guard operated services (driver releases, guard closes) but can also be operated DOO. This meant refitting the door release buttons in the driving cabs as they were removed to make way for some of the diesel system controls/indicators, because TfW & Northern placed orders first and they don't need door release buttons in cabs.

They're the same kit as on the Turbos, as they are part of the ASDO/OTCM system being installed on both from the same supplier (Petards). The only significant differences between 16x and 769 are that 16x has two monitors in the cab (one for ASDO, one for OTCM) whereas there is only room for one monitor in the 769 cab (which does both ASDO and OTCM functions), and that the driving vehicles on 769 have two cameras as there would be a blind spot with only one.

Last edited:

warwickshire

On Moderation
0H70 loco move ex Derby dep 0501.

5Q74 57312 769936 dep 1040
Confirmed on time 57312 leading 769936. Through Warwick.
However I get only 5 left now to be moved to reading.
Does anyone know what unit numbers are still to be moved please from wolverton. Thank you.

warwickshire

On Moderation
It started as 10 bells, then the door close buttons in cabs were modified so they were active in a non-active cab (so the guard could despatch from the rear cab) then went to the guard closing from the saloon panel once these were installed.

769s will be the same method of work for guard operated services (driver releases, guard closes) but can also be operated DOO. This meant refitting the door release buttons in the driving cabs as they were removed to make way for some of the diesel system controls/indicators, because TfW & Northern placed orders first and they don't need door release buttons in cabs.

They're the same kit as on the Turbos, as they are part of the ASDO/OTCM system being installed on both from the same supplier (Petards). The only significant differences between 16x and 769 are that 16x has two monitors in the cab (one for ASDO, one for OTCM) whereas there is only room for one monitor in the 769 cab (which does both ASDO and OTCM functions), and that the driving vehicles on 769 have two cameras as there would be a blind spot with only one.
So this means then that services operations wide as they are now with remain the same.
So iff 769s do end up on twyford to Henley as mentioned way up this thread then that service still remains driver only operated then

fgwrich

Established Member

Thanks for the info Downfast, that's quite interesting to read. I have to say though, while it's good to see another UK Supplier used, I hope Petards camera's are better than the CCTV fitted to the inside of the Turbo's!

Status
Not open for further replies.