• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cornish Night Riviera Sleeper and GWR Class 57 updates from Long Rock

adc82140

Established Member
Passed one heading Westbound along the A38 near Ivybridge earlier today, so I presume that went the long way round via Exeter.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Even if that prevents it, and using the day time traction retention moves isn't workable, surely a third party such as ROG could be contracted to do these movements by rail.
Now… if only we still sent fuel by rail, it could easily be tagged on to that. Remember the old Laira / St Blazey / Long Rock fuel tankers?…

Amlag

Now… if only we still sent fuel by rail, it could easily be tagged on to that. Remember the old Laira / St Blazey / Long Rock fuel tankers?…

The DBS class 66 and traincrew based at St Blazey seem not exactly over worked.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

I believe Neville Hill still gets its fuel by rail....

Tony43

As a HGV driver that used to drive abnormal loads i find it incredible that a movement order was granted via Tavistock. The route via A38 to Exeter and A30 seem much more preferable and probably wouldnt take much longer

Papyrus

GWR green is so drab, with not even history to give it any credence. the original GWR coaching stock, including the multiple units, were always chocolate and cream. Only the locomotives were green.
Be careful what you wish for. The last time they dumped green we had all that FirstGroup blue and purple. Current livery is more classy than most TOCs’ these days.

RPI

Established Member
Just use the 08 from Laira....... (Waits for comments from people who actually think I'm being serious) :D

PZ 08895

Just use the 08 from Laira....... (Waits for comments from people who actually think I'm being serious) :D
I ramber in BR days, which would have been the late 1980s, speaking to a train driver who had actually driven an 08 from Penzance to Laira. Obviously it had to be done overnight, but you can imagine the time taken to travel 80+ miles at only 15mph!

Nym

Established Member
I ramber in BR days, which would have been the late 1980s, speaking to a train driver who had actually driven an 08 from Penzance to Laira. Obviously it had to be done overnight, but you can imagine the time taken to travel 80+ miles at only 15mph!
Yes.

Kind of like when I was doing night time testing on the Victoria Line in RM the whole way at 16km/h.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
One assumes that's more expensive than moving by road, due to the way the rail industry is fragmented. "You want a path for loco + coach". Sure, that's £x,000 in track access charges please. Plus the costs and profit margin for ROG. Whereas on a unified system it would just be the fuel and driver costs.

If you don’t have track access charges how do you charge for open access passenger and freight operations which have been deemed the success of recent years?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Well they've travelled a part of the GWML in place of a 57 a few times!

Here's 08836 attached to the sleeper back in 2016.

14266225597_ea7ceeebdf_b.jpeg

FGW_DID

Established Member
Well they've travelled a part of the GWML in place of a 57 a few times!

Here's 08836 attached to the sleeper back in 2016.

View attachment 150889

Two years later and 08836, now sporting GWR green is seen in action again, this time at Reading. 57306 had failed on depot so the Sleeper was started from Reading and the Gronk took the ECS from the TCD to the station.

glenbogle

Night Riviera Sleeper not running tonight in either direction for some reason.
Not mentioned on the Engineering works update either.
Monday 22 to Thursday 25 JanuaryWill not run in either direction
Monday 29 January to Thursday 1 FebruaryWill not run in either direction

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

ASLEF Industrial Action

TheLastMinute

Cancelled tonight (Sun 28/1) due to ASLEF Action Short of Strike and also Friday 2/2 and Sunday 4/2. Sleeper isn't running on the dates above due to engineering work, but would have been cancelled anyway if they were. Info gwr.com/strike.