• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cornish Night Riviera Sleeper and GWR Class 57 updates from Long Rock

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phil.

Established Member
Its not your mistake Phil. Superalbs thought you want to ride it but it appears you actually just want to photograph / see it between Penzance and Par

Actually none of that. I'm trying to decipher what "my bad" means.

DenmarkRail

Hi! I am new here, and I am from Hayle.

As a frequent user of the night riviera, I am here to search for a member of the crew, who I met, but I forgot to say thank you to ( I am very strange... I have to say thank you to everyone!)

I was last onboard on May 29th (leaving Pad) and GWR being GWR, the packers at Old Oak, forgot to pack the bed sheets for coach H, because of a last min coach change... When we got on Jean and Marrion the customer hosts for coach H were making the beds, and they were rushed of their feet.

Anyway we became quite friendly with Jean and Marrion and were talking to them for quite a while, and they were genuinly the best train staff I have ever met ever... I have done night trains in China, and even the staff there don't compare!

In the morning, I was looking for Jean and Marrion to get a selfie after we got to Penzance, but I could not find them on the station, so if anyone could help me get in touch to say thanks, that would be great!

Also our stock was all GWR except 1 FGW coach, and 57605 leading.

--George

Wondered if anyone knows why the Cornish Riviera Sleeper has a Pullman dining carriage, rather than a lounge carriage - per the Highland Sleeper? Was this always the case?

co-tr-paul

George: Welcome. May i suggest you try posting your comments on the GWR twitter feed as they all get read. I cant say if it was London or PZ based crew that night as I'm engineering staff at Long Rock rather than operational. I believe the reasons for the coach change were posted on this forum somewhere but i gather it was very, very last minute and no train prep staff were by then on duty.... .

Work Traveller: The NR has no Pullman service. Its a standard mk 3 RFMB. They are due to be refurbished with individual round tables and setee type seating and a better bar area giving a cocktail lounge ambiance, photos on my Fliker photostream of design. Due this year.... .

Work Traveller: The NR has no Pullman service. Its a standard mk 3 RFMB. They are due to be refurbished with individual round tables and setee type seating and a better bar area giving a cocktail lounge ambiance, photos on my Fliker photostream of design. Due this year.... .

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I should have really described the current stock as dining carriages used as lounge carriages, but either way - good to hear the new stock is on it's way. Would I be right in thinking that I'm likely to see un-refurbished stock when I take the service in approximately 3 weeks time? If so, I'll just have to find an excuse next summer!

FWIW one of the Scottish lounge cars also has fixed seating.

Not long after I posted my comment I realised that is indeed the case. From experience, it's the Fort William section that has the fixed seating. Odd, considering it has the longest (time wise) trip from Edinburgh to terminus.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not long after I posted my comment I realised that is indeed the case. From experience, it's the Fort William section that has the fixed seating. Odd, considering it has the longest (time wise) trip from Edinburgh to terminus.

Possibly it's for consistency if they have only one like that - Fort William requires only one, as it doesn't go to London, it just goes to Edinburgh then back the other way, the others require two.

richw

Veteran Member
This morning if CIS was to be believed the set led by 43028 has transformed into a bed set. Beds at the rear apparently.
I did think Paddington to liskeard in just under 4hr 45 via Bristol calling at didcot, Swindon, Cheltenham, bath spa and Bristol was optimistic for a 57 when I looked at RTT to see if i could get to work in Truro for 0730! 108 late from Paddington 9 mins late at liskeard going the long way round.

Phil.

Established Member
It means "sorry I was wrong" in youth speak.

One is tempted to say then why don't you say "I was wrong" then no-one has to ask for a translation of what two mis-matched words mean.

Youngsters to-day mumble mumble, can't understand what they're saying mumble mutter, when I were a lad....

richw

Veteran Member
This morning if CIS was to be believed the set led by 43028 has transformed into a bed set. Beds at the rear apparently.
I did think Paddington to liskeard in just under 4hr 45 via Bristol calling at didcot, Swindon, Cheltenham, bath spa and Bristol was optimistic for a 57 when I looked at RTT to see if i could get to work in Truro for 0730! 108 late from Paddington 9 mins late at liskeard going the long way round.

To add to This arrived on time at Truro. Well to be picky 34 seconds late but that's good enough for me!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
57603, one of the Night Riviera Pool of locos, has been employed at Paddington moving stranded Heathrow units to Old Oak Common due to no Power available following the derailment. There is a picture on the Paddington Derailment thread.

richw

Veteran Member
Both up and down tonight will be HST the down calling at a variety of additional places through Berkshire and Wiltshire.

This will mean no 57 operated local service tomorrow neither as no 57 and sleeper set in Penzance

DenmarkRail

57603, one of the Night Riviera Pool of locos, has been employed at Paddington moving stranded Heathrow units to Old Oak Common due to no Power available following the derailment. There is a picture on the Paddington Derailment thread.

Is tonight's service a 43 hauling sleeper stock, or just a normal HST set?

Real time trains still shows it as a domestic sleeper, and I've seen a HST work a sleeper before...

richw

Veteran Member
Last nights down arriving to pick me up 0617 this morning 9 late, arrived Truro on time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 117

richw

Veteran Member
Is tonight's service a 43 hauling sleeper stock, or just a normal HST set?

Real time trains still shows it as a domestic sleeper, and I've seen a HST work a sleeper before...

It showed last nights down as a domestic sleeper despite clearly not being one! There is no ECS stock movement on RTT, as unless last nights up was HST as well both sets will be in London!

co-tr-paul

Last nights down was OC57 as posted above. Both sets are at OC and stuck there. Plan is to get one down ecs for Sundays up. Driver issues playing a part.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
No 57s for you to play with for the weekend then! Will the 57 operated service tomorow cancel or chuck the spare HST on it?

83G/84D

Established Member
I've seen quite a few repainted sleeper coaches with scratched up paintwork presumably from scraping against all the overhanging tree branches the trains seem to scrape against. It seems particularly bad in some places in Kernow.

Down sleeper this morning was 57 & stock so hopefully the daytime loco hauled to Exeter will run later.

Last edited: