• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cornish Night Riviera Sleeper and GWR Class 57 updates from Long Rock

co-tr-paul

Hi all. Some may recognise me from other forums but due to consistent technical problems, I've got fed up so joined here after months of observation!
Just to say for those who don't know, I am a GWR employee, user and enthusiast and modeller and dont post politics or speculation but some of my news can be up to 3 years ahead of it happening !
Its been a quiet time down here since Christmas with just some test drilling for the new building of the depot so I will start with a correct, up to date livery list for our stock.
SLEP blue
10534 currently under repaint at Wolverton due back this month
SLEP green
SLEP new stock under internal refurbishment
Restaurant First Modular Buffet
green 10219, 10225
blue 10232 - NOT being painted or refurbished, to go off lease due to corrosion and different batch build when refurbishment program complete.
under internal refurb 10217 replacement for 232
Brake Second Open
All green 17173,4,5
Tourist Second Open Disabled classification to change once internally refurbished
all blue 12100,12161
under internal refurb and new to us 12142
08 410 is BR green, the shade IS different !
57602,3,5 new GWR green
57604 traditional GWR green to be repainted next same as now despite suggestions of BR class 52 style maroon,sand or ochre..... .
We will take over allocation of 57s from OC once depot rebuild complete.
DRS has the contract for the extra 57 until the franchise end, now already expected to be 2020.
Just to say, loco number logs are available from myself for almost every up pz to pad trip for the past 3 years or so should any enquiries be wanted.

More news as and when.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ps, not seen it mentioned on here but the caterpillar has been dissected! Green 43187/8 now with blue OC34 for vip passengers on yesterdays 0845 pz to pad. A exam and special clean here over the weekend. Don't know where LA15 is !

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

co-tr-paul

First coach back should have been last year ! It was then said that somebody would be up with the DfT if not here by march 1....... .

Todays down just arriving at PZ after tree strike at Grampon Road and inspection at Truro. 57605 has dented nose. 303 on rear.

co-tr-paul

They want to know why its not done yet as agreed with relevant parties.

At time of posting, looks like 303 will do the up solo tonight and its a road trip for 605.

co-tr-paul

Tomorrow sees the announcemt of who has contract to rebuild depot. Abit of a do with invited guests and 25 ordered pasties..... . First work commences in around 2 weeks.

Meanwhile, first internally refurbished coaches now due June at earliest...... .

richw

Veteran Member
Tomorrow sees the announcemt of who has contract to rebuild depot. Abit of a do with invited guests and 25 ordered pasties..... . First work commences in around 2 weeks.

Meanwhile, first internally refurbished coaches now due June at earliest...... .

Am I right in thinking some of the industrial units are in the way and possibly Morrisons?

Goldfish62

Established Member
The plans are for everything to be squeezed into the current site.

Rumours abound about the closure of Morrison's to make way for it all, but there always seems to be constant rumours about closure of one or more of the three neighbouring superstores, but it never happens...

richw

Veteran Member
Rumours abound about the closure of Morrison's to make way for it all, but there always seems to be constant rumours about closure of one or more of the three neighbouring superstores, but it never happens...

Morrisons announced closure of X number of stores nationwide, for which the Penzance store is believed to be in that list. I'm trying to find the list myself, to no avail

Phil.

Established Member
Bearing in mind that fairly ordinary sized provincial town one has to wonder how it manages to support a Morrisons, a Tesco's and a Sainsbury's even allowing for a fair catchment area.

richw

Veteran Member
Bearing in mind that fairly ordinary sized provincial town one has to wonder how it manages to support a Morrisons, a Tesco's and a Sainsbury's even allowing for a fair catchment area.

All seem to be busy when I'm passing, They have a massive catchment area thinking about it.

LateThanNever

All seem to be busy when I'm passing, They have a massive catchment area thinking about it.
And they have reduced profits! Also, being on a thin peninsula they probably have to keep a presence to survive with their shareholders. With the (quite pretty?) Asda in Hayle, that's all of them in close proximity - who will crash out first?
And, although it is the end of the empire! West Cornwall is in fact more densely populated than most, so called, rural counties!

co-tr-paul

534 is just a repaint. First interior due June ( don't know which year ) and some poor shots of prototype on my Flickr photostream, see signiture below, cant link at moment... .

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Are GWR using the class 57s on summer Saturdays this year. Plymouth to Exeter.

co-tr-paul

They will and it looks set until the proposed twice an hour local upgrade 2018.
The refurb sleeper includes electonic door berth entry and all berths will be converts le between double and single. Your head will be at the window end, a new sink unit, slimlinw wardrobe instead of overhead rack, different ladder, sofa stlye seating in bar area of lounge car but sadly, a reduction in tables in seated coaches. A disabled berth will be added at some point.