• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cornish Night Riviera Sleeper and GWR Class 57 updates from Long Rock

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
Yep, Beds to operate Thu & Fri only For the moment. When the Up Beds arrive at Paddington on the Saturday morning they then move ECS to Long Rock instead of Reading TCD. Wednesday daytime there is an ECS move Long Rock - Reading TCD…………… repeat the cycle.

cyclebike

Sleeper seems to be loaded back into the schedule, at least for night of 25 Jun (this Thursday), but can’t get any fares to load anywhere. Normally it’s only available on the GWR site, but the screenshot is from there - no fares available.....

Attachments

• 74DB089D-1062-429E-88AD-B1086631B208.jpeg
    74DB089D-1062-429E-88AD-B1086631B208.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 35

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sleeper seems to be loaded back into the schedule, at least for night of 25 Jun (this Thursday), but can’t get any fares to load anywhere. Normally it’s only available on the GWR site, but the screenshot is from there - no fares available.....

It's in the timetable as compulsory reservations, so I guess that'll happen because no reservations have been made available yet.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Running as 5 cars, with the sleeper vehicles not in passenger use. Starting again tomorrow night on Thursdays and Fridays only UFN.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Seems very much as a route and competency refresh for crew in preparation for the service being reinstated fully in coming weeks.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Service runs mon to fri from mon 20 July. Still seated only. Further update due early August.

So just missing the Sunday night? Suppose there are few if any workers in the London area from the West Country who would need the sleeper on a Sunday night right now.

trebor79

Established Member
So just missing the Sunday night? Suppose there are few if any workers in the London area from the West Country who would need the sleeper on a Sunday night right now.
It's hardly a sleeper service anyway if only the seats are in use. Sounds like torture.
Odd that the berths aren't in use, could run at it's usual capacity if they were.

paulwestwood

It seems bizarrely backwards. Surely the cabins are the definition of social distancing!

It may have something todo with having to take longer to clean each coach more thoroughly due to the current situation and Having limited resources available on site each depot. And still the same amount of trains to be available for service.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Not going into detail but you've hit the nail on the head. Demand is currently well below usual whilst people are cautious.
No overtime whilst 'nationalised ' so no Sunday drivers also.

But technically some drivers work on a Saturday albeit only the morning.

irish_rail

Established Member
Not going into detail but you've hit the nail on the head. Demand is currently well below usual whilst people are cautious.
No overtime whilst 'nationalised ' so no Sunday drivers also.
That ones news to me. Still plenty of sunday workers at Plymouth.....

83G/84D

Established Member
Up sleeper train from Penzance to Paddington failed Chippenham station, rescue loco from Reading.

Sleepy

Established Member
Pleased to see bookings for berths now open for travel from 24th August. No arrival wake up call or normal breakfast - provided with food pack on boarding. Cafe bar takeaway only. You can book up to 23rd October.

Last edited:

ecoutez

I was considering a trip on the sleeper and have noted the changes to service. When I've used it before, I've enjoyed sitting reading in the lounge car on departure for a while before retiring. With it currently closed, does anyone know whether there is any alternative seating available? I'm not sure it will be possible in the room if both bunk beds are in place and GWR twitter seemed to think the upper bed can not be removed. I will be travelling solo. Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

co-tr-paul

All berths are currently presented as single unless requested at time of booking. Lounge car open for seating but only limited bar service. Berths are sanitised and sealed.

ecoutez

Many, many thanks. I'm pleased to hear the lounge car is open for seating as the website says it is closed and car only available for takeaway food/drink. Is this always the case or does it depend on train manager do you know please?