• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cornish Night Riviera Sleeper and GWR Class 57 updates from Long Rock

paulwestwood

Many, many thanks. I'm pleased to hear the lounge car is open for seating as the website says it is closed and car only available for takeaway food/drink. Is this always the case or does it depend on train manager do you know please?

Please note though staff will be constantly walking past you and also when customers who have booked berths are directed to board the train at the door nearest to the bar and staff will then book them in and take them through all of the current guidelines. Also if I’m working the sleeper I normally use the door panels nearest the lounge car.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

co-tr-paul

Until further notice, 2 sleeper coaches. D is for easy access berth, double, then a crew berth then all single except 4 next to pantry as booked doubles. E coach all singles unless booked as double. Cleaning regime and time it takes mean this could be norm for some time.

Last edited:

glenbogle

Is the first class lounge open at all in Paddington? I am booked on the sleeper next month and usually use it before boarding the train.

Until further notice, 2 sleeper coaches. D is for easy access berth, double, then a crew berth then all single except 4 next to pantry as booked doubles. E coach all singles unless booked as double. Cleaning regime and time it takes mean this could be norm for some time.

Why do they have a Crew berth?

Are they allowed to have a sleep on a break?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
It's a wonder that those who advocate for the 57s to be replaced on the Night Riviera have'nt posted anything yet but after a good long trouble free period 57604 sat down at Exeter St Davids on 1C50 at 0300 this morning and the stock was moved by back to back Castle Power Cars which ran from Laira. A 1Z50 0605 worked by 158760 ran from Exeter to Penzance to clear the passengers.

43 302

Established Member
It's a wonder that those who advocate for the 57s to be replaced on the Night Riviera have'nt posted anything yet but after a good long trouble free period 57604 sat down at Exeter St Davids on 1C50 at 0300 this morning and the stock was moved by back to back Castle Power Cars which ran from Laira. A 1Z50 0605 worked by 158760 ran from Exeter to Penzance to clear the passengers.
PCs were 153 + 155. Get 68s already.

Whilst I wouldn't waste spit on one if it was on fire, they are still the best of a limited set of options to be kept on the services for the time being. It's also the most cost effective and easiest logistically if no significant changes are made. At the very least in the medium term. I really don't think that particular fleet of them fails enough most of the time to use that as an argument either. There's been plenty of odd occasions 68s have failed on Chiltern or TPE too to present an argument against switching to those. And even more instances when the not so sure footed gas guzzling 67s have sat down, albeit not particularly enough to be a show stopper.

Energy

Established Member
I guess that they are going to replace the door with the electric ones fitted to the castle sets, otherwise the doors will need a handle fitted in the inside if they are going to seal the droplights.

43 302

Established Member
I guess that they are going to replace the door with the electric ones fitted to the castle sets, otherwise the doors will need a handle fitted in the inside if they are going to seal the droplights.
I don't think that is what they are doing. I think they're just modifying the slam doors. In what way remains to be seen.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The droplights will be locked closed when the CDL is engaged (how I don't know). When the CDL is released so are the windows. If SDO is used then only the droplights on those doors released will be unlocked. There will be a manual override for the guard to use. I've no idea what will happen if a window is open when the guard tries to engage the CDL,presumably the orange light will stay lit.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The droplights will be locked closed when the CDL is engaged (how I don't know). When the CDL is released so are the windows. If SDO is used then only the droplights on those doors released will be unlocked. There will be a manual override for the guard to use. I've no idea what will happen if a window is open when the guard tries to engage the CDL,presumably the orange light will stay lit.

Crikey, talk of making it complicated. Surely an inside handle and sealing the droplights would be easier. Or just fit the sliding door design from the HST refurb!

popeter45

longshot but did any of the powered doors from the Irish Mark 3B survive there scrapping?
may work far better than a the HST pocket door for the Sleeper cars

Domh245

Established Member
Crikey, talk of making it complicated... Or just fit the sliding door design from the HST refurb!

I don't know if you missed the debacle around that, but uncomplicated that conversion is not!

A simple solenoid style lug just below the top of the window (or into any equivalent piece at the bottom of the window inside the body of the door) sounds like it'd do the trick, all it needs to do is prevent the window from lowering when activated and prove it's position

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't know if you missed the debacle around that, but uncomplicated that conversion is not!

A simple solenoid style lug just below the top of the window (or into any equivalent piece at the bottom of the window inside the body of the door) sounds like it'd do the trick, all it needs to do is prevent the window from lowering when activated and prove it's position

Though given how bad people are at closing the windows, I can see this causing an issue. Unless I suppose they add a (very light) spring closure to it, i.e. to have it down you have to keep (very light) pressure on it to keep it down?

Energy

Established Member
If the window is open will it be automatically closed? If so then it needs to not trap anyone or their things.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
If the window is open will it be automatically closed? If so then it needs to not trap anyone or their things.
I expect it to remain fully manual,the guard and stewards closing them behind those boarding or alighting passengers.
If they were fitted with sliding/plug doors would you (as a sleeper passenger) want the hustle alarm going off at every station?

43 302

Established Member
That is true, although I'm not sure how it works with the Caley Sleeper Mk5s?
As the stock is purely used for sleeper purposes there are some different rules and some leniency with a lot of the PRM requirements. This is a direct quote from the government on the compliancy of the Night Riviera. I have attached the file below.

"Door signals are not deemed to be appropriate for a sleeper service. High levels of staff and long dwell times act as mitigation"

I know this is obviously without sliding doors, but the same applies.

Attachments

• gwr-night-riviera-compliance.xlsx
    252.6 KB · Views: 14

Sleepy

Established Member
Does this mean the dft inspired additional "seated train" which runs ahead of the Sleeper Plymouth - Penzance for local journeys can be dispensed with ? (Sleeper runs as set down only PLY - Cornwall due to those nasty slam doors ! )

Energy

Established Member
I expect it to remain fully manual,the guard and stewards closing them behind those boarding or alighting passengers.
If they were fitted with sliding/plug doors would you (as a sleeper passenger) want the hustle alarm going off at every station?
Not that much worse than the sound of slam doors, closing door beeps aren't that loud.