• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR DMI Plymouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

G30RG3

Hi Guys & Girls...

This is just a thread for those currently in the recruitment process for GWR Train Driver - Plymouth - awaiting a Driver Manager Interview.

I'm aware that there are significant delays due to Covid with most TOC processes looking set for the new financial year of 2021.

So here we can post information to assist in the DMI process and any further updates.

It would be nice to get an idea of how many applicants are awaiting and if anyone has heard anything with regards to realistic time frames.

The stage 2 and MMI is valid for 5 years and I am interested to know if it is likely I won't have an opportunity to progress to the DMI within this time frame.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JunnyT

Hi,

I passed Stage 2 + MMI in January 2020, I applied for Plymouth. Still awaiting DMI date

G30RG3

Hi,

I passed Stage 2 + MMI in January 2020, I applied for Plymouth. Still awaiting DMI date
I passed stage 2 + MMI in November 2019. This was via a talent pool application which seemed to be progressing steadily until Covid. I have contacted HR and they have just reiterated no plans to re-start recruitment until 2021. After this it depends which stations are allocated budgets first (from my understanding). There was a lot of planned upgrades for the southwest during 2020; apparently these have not gone ahead, again because of the pandemic (this is information from emails I have recieved, albeit very brief). I have noticed vacancies for other roles coming out which I can only assume is a good sign. Looks like we are in for a wait however hopefully there are still some prospects ahead for drivers come 2021. Best of luck with your application.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
With such a backlog of trainees already in the pipeline and the uncertainty about the future of rail travel, franchises etc it's no surprise you've been put on the back burner for now.

Other roles being advertised will have no bearing on the driver recruitment process.

If they've told you not before 2021, it'll bit be before 2021. There's the risk that current trainees who'd just started handling when lockdown began won't drive a train again until 2021...

G30RG3

With such a backlog of trainees already in the pipeline and the uncertainty about the future of rail travel, franchises etc it's no surprise you've been put on the back burner for now.

Other roles being advertised will have no bearing on the driver recruitment process.

If they've told you not before 2021, it'll bit be before 2021. There's the risk that current trainees who'd just started handling when lockdown began won't drive a train again until 2021...
Not expecting anything anytime soon. My understanding of other roles advertising would surely show that TOCs are able to schedule some training again; in light of the pandemic numbers reducing. Just a common sense analogy. As I had stated - information from GWR has been brief and inconclusive.

Fortunately I'm in a secure position however I feel sorry for those who are not and hope that things do pick up again in the future.

As this thread reads from the start any news from stage 2 & MMI pass applicants, particulary for south west, would be most informative :)

jezzer34

i'm in the Plymouth talent pool. Its a daily dream i will get a call or email but as you say realistically its going to be a long wait.

Interesting to see how all toc's approach this period over the next couple of years. Rail passengers are down a lot it's bound to have a knock on effect, yet drivers also move on and retire.
My feeling is a smaller recruitment drive across the board...... what that means for the recruitment that was already in progress i have no idea. interesting to see if they commit to the ongoing recruitment drive of before the pandemic or do they wind it down. Surely recruitment budgets will be cut but how they implement this will be interesting. Unfortunately for us Wannabe train drivers its going to become even harder, with more competition for the role due to job cuts in other sectors and less trainee positions going due to less passengers and a smaller budget.
Hard to see much movement without a vaccine, the problem of 2 people in a cab isn't going to go away, and rail travel is going to be below pre-pandemic numbers for quite some time.

However i still cling to the hope i get a call or email everyday :E:E

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
Not expecting anything anytime soon. My understanding of other roles advertising would surely show that TOCs are able to schedule some training again; in light of the pandemic numbers reducing. Just a common sense analogy. As I had stated - information from GWR has been brief and inconclusive.

Fortunately I'm in a secure position however I feel sorry for those who are not and hope that things do pick up again in the future.

As this thread reads from the start any news from stage 2 & MMI pass applicants, particulary for south west, would be most informative :)
They still need to fill other jobs, which are of a higher priority in the grand scheme of things. Obviously driver training is a high priority, but there’s loads of us in the pipeline for it not to matter so much if they hold off on recruitment, after all, no point pencilling in more courses when there is still a backlog.

Other jobs where recruitment is in much smaller numbers is far easier, and there’s often an establishment which must be met. As for training; it’s not an issue to train people for a few days in a classroom in the same way it is to train a group of 11 or 12 trainee drivers for 16 or 17 weeks. Same goes for Guards to an extent, as their training too, is lengthy.

Amex88

There are so many GWR trainees waiting on the network that it may take a long time. Some are close so qualifying and some are not. There will be delays, how long? Who knows.

Dont think they will do interviews anytime soon tbh.

DWR

you have your dmi this month ? or do you mean you're still waiting.
Still waiting for a date.

Got a DMI remote interview scheduled for Nov - 13mths after my MMI. Hopefully it will give everyone a bit of a boost to know things are beginning to move again. Maybe someone read my last post and showed some mercy!

Last edited:

jacey

This is good news for you guys good luck! also good for those of us in the pool already as its a sign things are beginning to move again and they are actively trying to complete the pool.

DWR

Thanks Jacey.

I've been on here for over a year and seen a few people called forward and wished it was me instead - it's not a nice feeling. Fingers crossed the movement continues. If I mess the interview up, there'll be another call up for someone!!

Once I've had the interview hopefully I'll be able to publish something of interest to the forum.

DWR.

genziu8181

Hi all.

I have got email inviting for a zoom interview however I missed it(gmail was not showing new messages coming in until my friend asked me if I could reply for her ref request and I refreshed the app) and there was no slots available.
2 days later. They stated on web that I should tick as times unsuitable. What does happen in this kind of situation? Do they re invite you later?

DWR

Found out last week, I passed my DMI and am in the talent pool

I was really nervous, it felt like a bit of a blur, but I remember spending quite a bit of time on what I knew about the company. I was also asked about a time when I went above and beyond in a customer service capacity. I expected questions about why I wanted to become a train driver and what I thought made me suitable for the role and they came up. I spent quite a bit of time revising types of traction and the GWR network, but I didn't get any questions on those.

I had placed a couple of strategic notes behind the screen I used for the video-call, but I was asked not to use notes - so I spent the whole 60mins with my eyes fixed on the screen! I'd avoid doing that if I had to do it again. I got a sense that they were looking at my personality and how I answered the questions, rather than just my answers - much more like a standard interview than the MMI.

Not very insightful, but hope this helps someone with their prep...

Smith3712

I was really nervous, it felt like a bit of a blur, but I remember spending quite a bit of time on what I knew about the company. I was also asked about a time when I went above and beyond in a customer service capacity. I expected questions about why I wanted to become a train driver and what I thought made me suitable for the role and they came up. I spent quite a bit of time revising types of traction and the GWR network, but I didn't get any questions on those.

I had placed a couple of strategic notes behind the screen I used for the video-call, but I was asked not to use notes - so I spent the whole 60mins with my eyes fixed on the screen! I'd avoid doing that if I had to do it again. I got a sense that they were looking at my personality and how I answered the questions, rather than just my answers - much more like a standard interview than the MMI.

Congratulations! Sounds like quite a few of us in the pool now which is a good thing!

DJP78

Not very insightful, but hope this helps someone with

Well done, fantastic for you. Hope you don't mind me asking but which depot did you apply to and when did you originally apply please? Are you part of the GWR 2020 / 2021 pool that all applied in 2019?

JunnyT

Well done, fantastic for you. Hope you don't mind me asking but which depot did you apply to and when did you originally apply please? Are you part of the GWR 2020 / 2021 pool that all applied in 2019?

I applied April 2019 for Plymouth, for 2019/2020 pool but due to covid everything is behind.

jacey

Congrats! such a nice feeling getting that email isn't it i felt so proud and excited, god knows how i would react if the call or email for a course comes one day. It would be my proudest moment career wise and be a dream come true.

DWR

Sorry for slow reply Dan. Yes I applied (originally for Exeter SD talent pool) in Aug 2019, but subsequently changed to Plymouth TP once things got rolling. I live near the Tamar Valley Line so it made sense.

genziu8181

Hi all. I have seen few people have passed their DMI-congratulations. I have my DMI zoom interview coming up this month. Any tips what to prepare for it-tracks, company information etc. Maybe someone remember some questions? I have missed last time invitation and I got my second chance to book slot

genziu8181

Hi all. I have had invitation for Nov zoom interview but missed it, got re invited for another one just before Xmas. 2 weeks later got email that successful. Now is waiting tome

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Hi all. I have had invitation for Nov zoom interview but missed it, got re invited for another one just before Xmas. 2 weeks later got email that successful. Now is waiting tome
Congratulations. But sit tight for a long wait. The backlog of training is going to take 12-18months to clear, as a minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.