• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR First Class coaches for staff only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABDeltic

I'm on a Cheltenham to Paddington train in FC and was asked to leave the rear First Class coach on a 5 car train as it is apparently for staff only. The other half coach of FC is relatively busy. Is this a regular occurrence and is it always enforced as vigorously as the Guard on this train is doing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

penguin8967

I'm on a Cheltenham to Paddington train in FC and was asked to leave the rear First Class coach on a 5 car train as it is apparently for staff only. The other half coach of FC is relatively busy. Is this a regular occurrence and is it always enforced as vigorously as the Guard on this train is doing.
A couple of weeks ago I was on this same service, and I was sat in the very rear seat on the train (Standard Class) on a 5 coach train. The train manager walked into and out of the rear cab before and after every station, but I wasn't asked to move at all - it was as normal.

I would kind of expect some signage if it was like that, but I've honestly got no idea.

Journeyman

Established Member
This seems pretty common - LNER have closed coach M on recent services, although it's used as space for people to pick up refreshments from the galley.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Most of the 800s I’ve been on recently there are notices on the internal doors advising of this!

ABDeltic

Yes when I got off I realised there was a sign advising it was staff and wheelchair passengers only. It does seem a little excessive especially as the FC passengers were put in half the carriage which on a busier train could d cause problems but I understand the reasons.

peteb

Didnt see a sign prohibiting use of 1st class coach 5 on the Malvern to Kingham FGW class 800 I used yesterday, however as there were only about 50 people on the entire train I doubt it was needed.

Timmyd

I had this both ways on a Cheltenham to Paddington return trip earlier this week. Explanation from the TM was that its for off-duty staff using the train to take up a duty later in the day. Sounded odd to me but as OP says it leads to the remaining half coach of first being quite crowded. Combined with no catering first isn’t worth the extra on GWR at present.

ABDeltic

On my trip from Cheltenham to Paddington yesterday I was surprised to find there was a catering trolley. Not sure if it was for FC only but they did come through our section of the train.

pdeaves

Established Member
A friend sent me this picture earlier this month.

Label states "Limited access only for: Food and drink purchases Wheelchair seating area GWR train crew"

(Implies the trolley is for everyone)

IET label resize.jpg

Timmyd

There were literally 4 bottles of water and a few packets of biscuits in the single seat in the half coach on my way back from Cheltenham

Stigy

Established Member
I had this both ways on a Cheltenham to Paddington return trip earlier this week. Explanation from the TM was that its for off-duty staff using the train to take up a duty later in the day. Sounded odd to me but as OP says it leads to the remaining half coach of first being quite crowded. Combined with no catering first isn’t worth the extra on GWR at present.
It’s to allow staff travelling on trains between jobs. It allows a relative amount of guaranteed distancing.

The doors were preciously locked but a memo came out forbidding this as they're an emergency access route. There are stickers as pictured above but they're not always effective if the pax has triggered the door sensor as the door will have opened by the time they could be read.

The message referring to catering was when they had a static trolley in there and it also remains available for wheelchairs and PRM.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The doors were preciously locked but a memo came out forbidding this as they're an emergency access route. There are stickers as pictured above but they're not always effective if the pax has triggered the door sensor as the door will have opened by the time they could be read.

The message referring to catering was when they had a static trolley in there and it also remains available for wheelchairs and PRM.

Can they not just stick some of their famous black and yellow tape across the seats to make it obvious you can't sit there?

I'd say those signs are not prominent enough.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Agreed that those signs aren't obvious enough.
Not even in terms of the prominence of the signs but the wording sounds a little ambiguous too. "Limited access" leaves a little too much to the imagination.
Something specifying "No public access apart from:" or similar would be much better wording!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
There are on some services but its a bit hit and miss.

There's only a few diagrams with catering on indeed. They tend to be advertised at Paddington, but currently its more likely rather than less that you won't have catering.

Master29

Established Member
I've not travelled first recently on GWR as they're more claustrophobic than standard on the IET as a result of this, and of course due to the reduced catering a waste of time and money. Only 18 first seats available on a 5 car unit on the West of England services at this time. I sympathise with the difficulties, especially for staff but perhaps more evidence of poor planning on the IET?

Bishopstone

Established Member
Back in July, I and others were shoo’d out of the first class in the driving vehicle, into the limited seating of the composite, where consequently it wasn’t possible to maintain the advised level of social distancing. A few passengers with first class tickets, observing the situation, opted to sit in Standard which was relatively quiet. This was a west of England service.

For this reason and others (no catering, no lounges) I’ve given-up on GWR first class for the time being. I find the Standard seating in the 800s to be comfortable (minority opinion, I know), and there’s a great deal of it in 10-car formations.

Master29

Established Member
Back in July, I and others were shoo’d out of the first class in the driving vehicle, into the limited seating of the composite, where consequently it wasn’t possible to maintain the advised level of social distancing. A few passengers with first class tickets, observing the situation, opted to sit in Standard which was relatively quiet. This was a west of England service.

For this reason and others (no catering, no lounges) I’ve given-up on GWR first class for the time being. I find the Standard seating in the 800s to be comfortable (minority opinion, I know), and there’s a great deal of it in 10-car formations.
Exactly. A good time for travel in standard at the moment given as you rightly point out the large number of standard seats on GWR IET's. I agree the seating is quite comfortable for me but we seem to be in the minority. I've been on many trains from Cornwall to Paddington recently and even at the height of the season I have been one of only two or three bods in an entire carriage for most of the journey. Perhaps not good for the Railways long term however but that's another story.

4REP

The same is or were happening on LNER azumas but not the 225s

The staff have a small crew Area in coach K and the DVT on the 225s and the same is happening on the end carriages of 331/333 caf stock too

Requeststop

I, along with a number of others experienced the same at Paddington on the 6th September, after we had all settled down, in socially distanced seating, and had been advised by one member of staff that the seats were Ok for 1st passengers. 3 mins later the guard/conductor told us all to move to the coach next door as the end coach was for disabled passengers and that there was a note at the door advising us so. None of us were sitting in the area expressly set for disabled passengers but we all moved. After the stop in Reading, I noticed that passengers were seated there. What's the game?

Gems

I had a recent interesting conversation with a FGW guard whilst on holiday in Cornwall last month. We board the virtually empty train at St Erth to go to Truro. Paddington service mid Sunday morning.
So the young female guard comes down and asks us to separate, we had to sit at window seats. "That's okay" I tell her, we live together. "Yes but I don't live with you and I need the space to walk down the train" she replied. Oh I was tempted to give a curt reply, but instead tried to engage her with some reasoning. "This train is 8 ft wide give or take a few inch" I told her. "There is no way in this world you can keep 1 metre away from two people sat opposite even if you tried. 9ft into 8ft doesn't go"
She didn't seem to grasp this. Rules were rules and there was no reasoning. So I asked her why if she was so concerned about a virus she was wearing a face visor and not a mask. "A face visor does not protect anyone you might come into contact with" I pointed out. This just confused her more. So I presented our tickets, they had to be the right way up because they contained a biblical plague and she wasn't for handling them. As a parting shot I asked her what table she hid under when the train got really busy. With that she slunk off.

I know we have to try and keep safe. I mean we might find a Scottish SNP MP onboard with the confirmation of a positive covid test in her handbag. But really. Do we have to stop living?

Requeststop

I had a recent interesting conversation with a FGW guard whilst on holiday in Cornwall last month. We board the virtually empty train at St Erth to go to Truro. Paddington service mid Sunday morning.
So the young female guard comes down and asks us to separate, we had to sit at window seats. "That's okay" I tell her, we live together. "Yes but I don't live with you and I need the space to walk down the train" she replied. Oh I was tempted to give a curt reply, but instead tried to engage her with some reasoning. "This train is 8 ft wide give or take a few inch" I told her. "There is no way in this world you can keep 1 metre away from two people sat opposite even if you tried. 9ft into 8ft doesn't go"
She didn't seem to grasp this. Rules were rules and there was no reasoning. So I asked her why if she was so concerned about a virus she was wearing a face visor and not a mask. "A face visor does not protect anyone you might come into contact with" I pointed out. This just confused her more. So I presented our tickets, they had to be the right way up because they contained a biblical plague and she wasn't for handling them. As a parting shot I asked her what table she hid under when the train got really busy. With that she slunk off.

I know we have to try and keep safe. I mean we might find a Scottish SNP MP onboard with the confirmation of a positive covid test in her handbag. But really. Do we have to stop living?
Got to say I had a good giggle at that reply. Though to be honest it's not actually the person "on the ground" that makes these rules or has any say in how they are decided upon. They are expected though to implement the rules no matter how impractical they may be. They don't always have the easiest of jobs and personally when I am in the UK, like now, I do my utmost to make their jobs as easy as I can, with a smile. (even behind my mask).

Every train company is moving to the use the window seats only model to give other passengers and staff as much space as possible to move through train. You don’t like it get in your car and drive.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You sound like a complete delight to deal with. Im sure she's still laughing.

If you're in the window seat, then you are about 50cm further from them than if you were in the aisle seat. Therefore, this rule makes sense. It's all relative - there's nothing at 1m that goes "ping, no COVID".

I'd have called the BTP and had the OP thrown off, myself.

Flying Claret

If you're in the window seat, then you are about 50cm further from them than if you were in the aisle seat. Therefore, this rule makes sense. It's all relative - there's nothing at 1m that goes "ping, no COVID".

I'd have called the BTP and had the OP thrown off, myself.

Quite.
Trying to be clever with a member of staff who is putting herself at daily risk for implementing the policy/risk assessment of a major rail company is pretty pathetic.
Have a look in the mirror and have a word with yourself. Child.

On Moderation
Every train company is moving to the use the window seats only model to give other passengers and staff as much space as possible to move through train. You don’t like it get in your car and drive.
The railway is moving further and further up its own fundamental orifice. Might as well shut it down completely: abysmal staff attitudes, poor customer service and requires a fortune in subsidy to keep it running. What’s to like?

Status
Not open for further replies.