• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR HST power car in siding at Castle Cary

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have just seen GWR HST power car 43172 in siding at Castle Cary.
Anyone know why it is there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
To sum it up, as the link has so much content, useful and interesting, of course:-

1A73 0546 Exeter to Paddington, 43172, Harry Patch, failed with seized axle yesterday.
Set (without 43172) ran 5Z77 10+30 Castle Cary to Laira,

Hope superalbs doesn't mind me posting this,

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
Is there a reason it couldn't have returned to Taunton with the passengers on board? Or was there something fairly close behind it by the time it was on the move?

It didn't lock up, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story as they say....... that's not to say it doesn't have a serious fault.

D1009

Established Member
Is there a reason it couldn't have returned to Taunton with the passengers on board? Or was there something fairly close behind it by the time it was on the move?
I gather the passengers went forward to Westbury on 2D05 0640 Weymouth. Whether it was able to accommodate them all I don't know. 1A74, 1A75, 1A76 and 1A77 were all diverted from Cogload via Bristol to Reading.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Why should it ? The passengers were going the other way. It couldn't have gone back with a Power Car at one end only.

TheEdge

Established Member
Why should it ? The passengers were going the other way. It couldn't have gone back with a Power Car at one end only.

Looking at the video it could obviously go south under its own power and I was just musing that maybe Taunton would have been better placed to deal with offloading a peak time HST than Castle Cary. I do apologise for thinking out loud... :roll:

But as D1009 suggests there was an alternate service east not far behind then it makes sense.

Hartington

The power car was still there this (Monday) morning.

I'll be interested to see how they move it. Although the siding it's in is adjacent to the car park and you could theoretically lift it onto a low loader you'd have to close and clear the car park to do so. I therefore guess a skate?

Established Member
The power car was still there this (Monday) morning.

I'll be interested to see how they move it. Although the siding it's in is adjacent to the car park and you could theoretically lift it onto a low loader you'd have to close and clear the car park to do so. I therefore guess a skate?

Will be a skate move as it is not accessible where it is.

Hartington

I'm told it's been placed on a skate and will be moved "this weekend" to Westbury where it will be put on a low loader.

Hartington

I wondered that but that path goes down to Fairwater then back up through Castle Cary and the power car is in a siding by the up line so why take it a little way up, then switch to the down and finally come back up.

I also suspect it's too fast for a skate.

The final nail in the coffin is that there are works around Castle Cary this weekend and I think that path is related to the works, not the HST power car.

But we'll see.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The STP working on Sunday was apparently an Engineers train. The movement, confirmed by GWR Twitter, is here:-

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O72694/2017/02/14/advanced

Thence by road from Westbury to Laira. The speed on the timing load (this problem has been highlighted on many occasions) does certainly not reflect the timings of the train which is obviously travelling on skate at very slow speed/

Kentish Paul

Hello all,
Can somebody confirm that the power car has left CLC (Castle Cary).
The previous posts seem a bit vague. (no it's an engineering train?) and went to Taunton first.
If it was in the North siding (west of the car park and platform 1) and ajacent to the up main (eg direct to Westbury) why not just go to Westbury?
Probably got it all wrong. Hope to be corrected.
Used Castle Cary for years to visit relatives in Somerton since that is the nearest station since Somerton closed.
Ho hum, maybe one day.<(

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Hello all,
Can somebody confirm that the power car has left CLC (Castle Cary).
The previous posts seem a bit vague. (no it's an engineering train?) and went to Taunton first.
If it was in the North siding (west of the car park and platform 1) and ajacent to the up main (eg direct to Westbury) why not just go to Westbury?
Probably got it all wrong. Hope to be corrected.
Used Castle Cary for years to visit relatives in Somerton since that is the nearest station since Somerton closed.
Ho hum, maybe one day.<(

2145 tonight. A post was correcting an error in an earlier post.

Hartington

And it duly departed tonight (Tuesday) behind 70809 heading very slowly (2 hours scheduled) to Westbury where I gather it will be put on a low loader and taken away.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Looking at Genius its 17 late but should now be in westbury

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170215-001756.jpg
    Screenshot_20170215-001756.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

HSTFan57

A blue HST power car on a low-loader passed westbound through the M4/M5 junction at Almondsbury at 11:39. I didn't have time to read the number.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Are skate moves 5mph or 15? Either way, the colas driver must have had a riveting time!

Status
Not open for further replies.