• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR IETs - End doors out of use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
I've done some looking around but couldn't see anything relevant to this topic - please let me know if there's already an explanation!

When waiting to watch the GBRf tour yesterday, I noticed that the announcements played when a train approaches include a notice telling passengers that the end doors on an IET aren't for passenger use. There are also notices in the door windows telling passengers this: I've put a picture below but it's not perfect.
IMG_1749.JPG
(Image shows one of the doors closest to the cab in carriage A of a GWR IET, with a red sign reading "Please use the door at the other end of this carriage." below a no entry pictogram)

I think this is a recent change - I've certainly only started hearing these announcements in the past month or so - but does anyone have any more information about it (i.e. when the change started being rolled out, or why)? There seems to be two different versions of this sign - I didn't get a photo of it, but yesterday I noticed an end door had a notice written in the standard GWR font and white text near the top of the window. I wondered if it was to do with coronavirus*, in the same way in which some other trains have had areas blocked off for staff only? Just curious!

Thanks,

-Peter

*(if this is the case then I expect the thread should have gone in the coronavirus forum?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LordCreed

The seats at that end of the carriage are reserved for train crew travelling on the set (as opposed to first class which used to be used for this purpose).

Peter C

Established Member
The seats at that end of the carriage are reserved for train crew travelling on the set (as opposed to first class which used to be used for this purpose).
Ah super - thanks for the explanation. So is there something inside the carriage marking the area for staff and the area for the public too? I've not yet been in the right carriage to see for myself.

-Peter

Also, for clarity, they aren't locked out of use, they work as normal but are signed no entrt. Seemed to start around June from memory.

Peter C

Established Member
Also, for clarity, they aren't locked out of use, they work as normal but are signed no entrt. Seemed to start around June from memory.
I'll change the thread title then - thanks. I seem to have made that bit up!

-Peter

LordCreed

Ah super - thanks for the explanation. So is there something inside the carriage marking the area for staff and the area for the public too? I've not yet been in the right carriage to see for myself.

-Peter

Yep, the first five or so rows are all showing as reserved for the entire journey, and there's red reservation labels attached to the seats saying that they're reserved for staff. Although these labels do go missing far too often...

For the first couple of weeks they were locked out of use, however that instruction was removed.

DanNCL

Established Member
The door nearest the buffet counter on the LNER units is also marked as such, whilst still working as normal.

Peter C

Established Member
Yep, the first five or so rows are all showing as reserved for the entire journey, and there's red reservation labels attached to the seats saying that they're reserved for staff. Although these labels do go missing far too often...
Thanks again. You mention that first class used to be used for the same purpose, so I assume this has been happening for a while, but is it likely to carry on into the future, or is it temporary?

-Peter

LordCreed

Thanks again. You mention that first class used to be used for the same purpose, so I assume this has been happening for a while, but is it likely to carry on into the future, or is it temporary?

-Peter

Yeah, First Class was used since the beginning of covid restrictions. As the end door of the kitchen coach is a staff only door, the external signage wasn't necessary.

I imagine it's temporary, but I wouldn't know how long etc...

Peter C

Established Member
Yeah, First Class was used since the beginning of covid restrictions. As the end door of the kitchen coach is a staff only door, the external signage wasn't necessary.

I imagine it's temporary, but I wouldn't know how long etc...
Ah cool. It's an interesting thing to see I suppose!

-Peter

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
On GWR it was moved from 1st class due to a hike in 1st class bookings. Hence the 20-24 seats being marked and block-booked for crew, although the Train Manager can remove / reduce this number at their discretion if the train is packed. It started in Late May and seems to be until further notice right now.

Peter C

Established Member
On GWR it was moved from 1st class due to a hike in 1st class bookings. Hence the 20-24 seats being marked and block-booked for crew, although the Train Manager can remove / reduce this number at their discretion if the train is packed. It started in Late May and seems to be until further notice right now.
Thanks for the explanation. :)

-Peter

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

Do they really expect 20 crew to be travelling on the service? Seems a bit high!

JN114

Established Member
Do they really expect 20 crew to be travelling on the service? Seems a bit high!

No, but 6 or 7 isn’t unheard of; and providing space for social distancing (as an employer was essentially obliged to do when it was introduced), 5 or 6 rows is about right - 1 per full row, alternate side window seats.

YorksLad12

Established Member
The door nearest the buffet counter on the LNER units is also marked as such, whilst still working as normal.
Interesting; I travelled in G last week and used that door, as did lots of other people (on at Leeds, off at KX). Is "Don't use this door" a Covid thing? Bit annoying if your seat is at one end of the carriage and you have to get on at the other with your suitcase.

KT530

And completely ignored by passengers and not enforced by the Guard, so you’ll often see staff in first class for safety.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
And completely ignored by passengers and not enforced by the Guard, so you’ll often see staff in first class for safety.
Much of a muchness, as 1st is usually busier, especially on the 5s

Goldfish62

Established Member
Hahahaha! My GWR friends think it's all a load of nonsense anyway!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Just a note this goes down to just 6 seats from 20th September.

No. That has always been the case for the leading driving cab. And they are physically locked as well I believe.
The SWR 158 and 159 leading doors are not physically locked, the exterior door buttons are disabled when the driving cab is in use, the door buttons that operate the door from passenger accommodation into front vestibule are also disabled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.