• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR or SWR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railroader22

Simple question....Who is better to work for?
Positions: Customer Ambassador 3 for SWR or Conductor for GWR?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Two very different jobs. I’ve worked for both TOCs (SWT/R From 2006 to 2019, and GWR from 2019 to present) and they’re much the same in terms of what they’re like as organisations (the job I started in at SWT is completely different to the one on in now too). The railway is very much the railway. It’s frustrating at times, but there’s nowhere else I’d rather work and I’ve not regretted it.

What I will say is that GWR seem more organised with their whole “on boarding” part of the recruitment process, and from being offered the job, the process was seamless. I joined SWT when things were very different, so I can’t really compare the two, however from my experiences with recruiting for jobs in SWR, it does seem generally less organised there.

I would personally go for a Conductor role with GWR over Customer Ambassador for SWR, because of the working conditions and pay.

Railroader22

Two very different jobs. I’ve worked for both TOCs (SWT/R From 2006 to 2019, and GWR from 2019 to present) and they’re much the same in terms of what they’re like as organisations (the job I started in at SWT is completely different to the one on in now too). The railway is very much the railway. It’s frustrating at times, but there’s nowhere else I’d rather work and I’ve not regretted it.

What I will say is that GWR seem more organised with their whole “on boarding” part of the recruitment process, and from being offered the job, the process was seamless. I joined SWT when things were very different, so I can’t really compare the two, however from my experiences with recruiting for jobs in SWR, it does seem generally less organised there.

I would personally go for a Conductor role with GWR over Customer Ambassador for SWR, because of the working conditions and pay.
Thanks for your reply. I’ve made it through to interview stage to both. Do you know what early and late shifts consist of at either of those TOC’s? What role do you currently do yourself @Stigy

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks for your reply. I’ve made it through to interview stage to both. Do you know what early and late shifts consist of at either of those TOC’s? What role do you currently do yourself @Stigy
Customer Ambassadors at SWR usually finish no later than 2200hrs And earliest starts are around 0545hrs give or take. Not sure about Conductors at GWR, but it varies between depots. Probably 2am ish finishes and 5am ish starts?

I’m a Trainee Driver.

Railroader22

Customer Ambassadors at SWR usually finish no later than 2200hrs And earliest starts are around 0545hrs give or take. Not sure about Conductors at GWR, but it varies between depots. Probably 2am ish finishes and 5am ish starts?

I’m a Trainee Driver.
Thanks @Stigy
Do both SWR and GWR pay four weekly or monthly?

RJM

As far as I’m aware, you’ll get a 5 day weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues) every 3 weeks if you get the Conductor job with GWR.

Customer Ambassador, you’ll get nothing like that, more like single days off with very few full weekends to yourself.

Better pay as a conductor, far more varied role, try and pursue that if you can.

Railroader22

Both 4 weekly. The whole railway is (I believe) 4 weekly.
Thanks for your help Stigy.

As far as I’m aware, you’ll get a 5 day weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues) every 3 weeks if you get the Conductor job with GWR.

Customer Ambassador, you’ll get nothing like that, more like single days off with very few full weekends to yourself.

Better pay as a conductor, far more varied role, try and pursue that if you can.
Thanks. Appreciate the info. The GWR one is my preferred role. Just have to smash through the interview stage and I’m in. Thanks again.

Cuemang78

Customer ambassador is advertised as having a long weekend every six weeks, and better hours.

RJM

Customer ambassador is advertised as having a long weekend every six weeks, and better hours.

That “long weekend” being Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Yes, the shift times might be slightly more sociable but having worked with CA’s and having been a guard myself on a similar roster to GWR conductors, I know which one i‘d rather take!

Cuemang78

That “long weekend” being Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Yes, the shift times might be slightly more sociable but having worked with CA’s and having been a guard myself on a similar roster to GWR conductors, I know which one i‘d rather take!
That's fine. I wonder what the holiday entitlement is?

Railroader22

I didn’t get either position anyway. Passed the OPC assessments for GWR and then they emailed to say the vacancy had been pulled or filled which was so strange. I made it to Final interview with SWR for customer Ambassador 3. Gutted, but never mind. I shall keep cracking on until I succeed.

dctraindriver

I didn’t get either position anyway. Passed the OPC assessments for GWR and then they emailed to say the vacancy had been pulled or filled which was so strange. I made it to Final interview with SWR for customer Ambassador 3. Gutted, but never mind. I shall keep cracking on until I succeed.
It’s so competitive to get your foot through the door. You’ve demonstrated you’re on the right path to get so close. Bit more research, reflection and if lucky enough some feedback which isn’t always guaranteed plus advice from many on here who’ve been successful after persistence should see you get there. Good luck.

Railroader22

It’s so competitive to get your foot through the door. You’ve demonstrated you’re on the right path to get so close. Bit more research, reflection and if lucky enough some feedback which isn’t always guaranteed plus advice from many on here who’ve been successful after persistence should see you get there. Good luck.
Thanks buddy. I’ll get there one day. It just wasn’t my time this time.

Cuemang78

Same stage as me. It is very hard when going for one vacancy...maybe the best strategy is to apply for roles at companies where there are multiple vacancies.

Status
Not open for further replies.