• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Pullman breakfast South Wales style !

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
GWR have just introduced a Pullman catering service on the 1045 down train from Paddington (and a corresponding up service) about a week ago - which as a significant pre birthtday treat (the big 60) |I sampled today on a new 800 class unit. (Electric to Didcot)

I cannot express how outstanding it was - £18 for starter (including fresh orange and / or Grapefruit juice) - a main platter of largely Welsh sausage / bacon / free range egg cooked to order / fried bread/ Welsh Black pudding / hot baked beans / button mushrooms and a nice touch - Glamorgan or veggie sausage - 2 pots of Cornish grown tea , and two runs of the best bread basket ever seen of white / granary Bloomer / plus a lovely touch of Bara Brith (currant loaf) and sublime Welsh cakes. Fresh butter . Impeccable service

One of my friends had poached eggs with Somerset Haddock - and he really enjoyed it - nice touch was the Steward changed the place settings for him , so he could eat it with the neccesary fish knife.

I really recommend this - a brilliant value added service for a very fair price. I hope it gets the well deserved following that the Pullmand dining gets on the West of England trains. Do , please support it

26903647_10210119090473812_3030272291469495176_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
I like you think it’s a bargain but others may not! Great to see local produce being championed

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I like you think it’s a bargain but others may not! Great to see local produce being championed

Put it this way - £18 buys you a single steak in many places - never mind the rest - £5 is the norm for a simple one dish in many ordinary places. This bought me a meal which 9 hours later still has me not wanting anything else to eat for the rest of the day.

Plus you get impeccable service. I appreciate I am fortunate I can buy such things.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
That sounds superb and makes me rather envious! it is also great to read that the high quality of GWRs Pullman dining continues to the same high standards on the new trains, how did you rate the ambiance in 1st class compared to the HST?

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
That sounds superb and makes me rather envious! it is also great to read that the high quality of GWRs Pullman dining continues to the same high standards on the new trains, how did you rate the ambiance in 1st class compared to the HST?

Had a run to Parkway on the 1st set they ran - frankly impressed - (the return HST seems gloomy and dated) - electric of course to Didcot which we passed at 125 mph - and the ambience is light, smooth and very quiet (on diesel power) - great toilets ! - no gimmicks - and the standard looks a heck of a lot better than a 390 ...(I have tried the seats there - and they are pretty OK IMHO)

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Has this not been a Pullman service for a long time? I did it last year and have attempted to before that.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Not really - Prime Dining dies about 5 years + ago - then you had the Travelling Chef / Bistro concept (which was good if the staff were there) - now they have relaunched on South Wales - after what seems a good receipt of the service on the West of England trains.

I keep saying this to everyone - but it is great.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Will forward your comments to Mr Hopwood, he'll be delighted no doubt.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sadly you are not correct. There has been a Pullman service on the 10:45 to Swansea for a quite a while (years), it is certainly not a newly introduced service.

cambsy

On Moderation
The 10.45 has had Pullman catering for a while, but think its first on the IET’s, I have used the Pullman dining on the West Country trains many times over the last 4 or so years, mainly lunch or dinner, only once had the breakfast though, and can absolutely recommend it, as its Cooked superbly, service is great too, attentive and friendly, and is the best way to spend a couple of hours on a train in the UK, Ill be trying out the Pullman service on the IET’s on my 7 day 1st class ALR’ in early Feb, so will be interested to see what it is like on the new trains, and also doing Pullman dinner on the 18.03 Padd-Par the day before, using the Night Riviera to get back to Padd, about 45 mins in Par.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Had a run to Parkway on the 1st set they ran - frankly impressed - (the return HST seems gloomy and dated) - electric of course to Didcot which we passed at 125 mph - and the ambience is light, smooth and very quiet (on diesel power) - great toilets ! - no gimmicks - and the standard looks a heck of a lot better than a 390 ...(I have tried the seats there - and they are pretty OK IMHO)

The future does sound rather rosy on GWR high speed services reading your opinion there, I'll badly miss the HSTs when they finally succumb but I realise things must now move on.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The future does sound rather rosy on GWR high speed services reading your opinion there, I'll badly miss the HSTs when they finally succumb but I realise things must now move on.

The HST's will be missed - but they live on. Good workers which frankly saved the Inter City business -

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Pullperson Dining was introduced on the 10.45 service from Paddington just over three years ago; certainly not last week! I travel on the train several times a year, by no near a regular traveller but the staff always remember me which I think is really nice and one of the reasons I enjoy the service so much.

Here’s the press release, dated October 2014 https://www.gwr.com/about-us/media-centre/news/2014/october/pullman-dining-returns-to-south-wales

I humbly stand corrected - I picked up elsewhere on the 800's having had it as of last week , hence the treat trip today...still looking good for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.