• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Pullman dining reinstated

Private Baxter

Established Member
Is there any risk of this change continuing into March as I am planning on travelling on the 1903 on March 7th specifically to do the Pullman dining?
It should be back to normal by then; the website states end of February is when it should revert.
Just a note, I don't know whether you are planning a walk-up, or you've got a first class ticket, but Thursdays tend to book up quickly on the evening departure.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

basfordlad

Haha my partner is a Plymouth driver I’ll let him know you compliment them with their driving skills haha!!

I’ve done the Pullman twice once with my partner and once with my dad, the steak was absolutely beautiful on it! They used to do breakfasts on the up services and there were two sittings you would change at Taunton for the 2nd sitting and I believe if you went in at Taunton you could sit in first until London. Just a shame they scrapped the breakfast I would have liked to have tried it.
I did it pre covid . A trip to Plymouth for the purpose of using the pull man each way.
Breakfast was wonderful

irish_rail

Established Member

Haha my partner is a Plymouth driver I’ll let him know you compliment them with their driving skills haha!!

I’ve done the Pullman twice once with my partner and once with my dad, the steak was absolutely beautiful on it! They used to do breakfasts on the up services and there were two sittings you would change at Taunton for the 2nd sitting and I believe if you went in at Taunton you could sit in first until London. Just a shame they scrapped the breakfast I would have liked to have tried it.
Yeah I know your partner provided your user name is accurate lol. Us Plymouth drivers, the pride of the Western haha.

Towers

Established Member
When an HST the 1803 restaurant was always popular. I’d like to think the good times could return and return the Golden Hind to it’s important status.
Surely it’s no longer called that, is it? Or indeed anything else?!

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Surely it’s no longer called that, is it? Or indeed anything else?!
Unfortunately GWR dropped its named services. The Golden Hind in both directions was at one time an untouchable train,ie nothing must delay it. You paid a price for it though as it was and still is a peak fare train. Its restaurant pre-IET was popular and it was never the same after the 800/802s came along. Covid rang its death nell and now it’s just another random train that suffers the same delays but still at full price.

Towers

Established Member
Unfortunately GWR dropped its named services. The Golden Hind in both directions was at one time an untouchable train,ie nothing must delay it. You paid a price for it though as it was and still is a peak fare train. Its restaurant pre-IET was popular and it was never the same after the 800/802s came along. Covid rang its death nell and now it’s just another random train that suffers the same delays but still at full price.
The Western’s “Highland Chieftan” I suppose, of sorts!

Private Baxter

Established Member
Do we know what the reason was for that?
It came with the December 2019 timetable change, and with it standardisation of the timetable.
That said, a service was named last year... the 0848 Paddington to Swansea was named 'The Carolean Flyer' (or something like that), in honour of the King's coronation.

sh24

Depends which Friday - if it's the run up to a bank holiday weekend it could well be full. Normally you'll get a seat but likely to be a sharing a table which can be a...mixed...experience depending on who your seat opponents are.

Birmingham

Depends which Friday - if it's the run up to a bank holiday weekend it could well be full. Normally you'll get a seat but likely to be a sharing a table which can be a...mixed...experience depending on who your seat opponents are.
I'm thinking tomorrow, so presumably less busy! I suppose best bet is to turn up early and try and get one of the solo seats? I'd rather board at Reading, but will go from Paddington to ensure a decent seat if need be.

sh24

That should be fairly quiet. The solo seats generally go quite fast but Friday lunchtime down isn't peak business travel so might be less competition. Defo more chance if you board at Paddington.

alastair

How busy is the 13:04 Paddington to Plymouth typically on a Friday and is it likely to be seated without a reservation?
I've boarded that train at Reading 3 or 4 times last year, never been a problem. Always got a single seat. Can't remember if it was a Friday though.

Veteran Member
Hi all. Wondering about Plymouth-Taunton on the 1816(?) Pullman in a few weeks. Am I likely to get a dining seat with a Standard ticket (midweek/Friday)? And have I allowed enough time to eat!

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, just seen a post a couple of pages upthread!

Further edit: it will be during the St Austell-Penzance blockade, but that shouldn't make much difference?

Last edited:

sh24

Friday, I don't fancy your chances. Midweek, probably yes. Taunton is plenty of time to eat, don't worry about that.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
GWR website is now showing Pullman Dining being on the 18.03 (rather than the 19.03) until March 22nd now :(.
Other real life events mean I'm not even sure if I'll be travelling next week yet anyway, but if I am I'm pretty disappointed (not going to be able to catch the 18.03 even if I did change my tickets).

richardderby

Was looking forward to Pullman dining on the 1816 from Plymouth today, on a journey back from Cornwall. Pullman cancelled at last minute, poor showing from GWR.

alastair

Was looking forward to Pullman dining on the 1816 from Plymouth today, on a journey back from Cornwall. Pullman cancelled at last minute, poor showing from GWR.
The crew for that service travel down on the 1303 from Paddington to Plymouth which would appear to have been diverted via Bristol and terminated at Exeter 68 mins late so I would guess that's the reason. GWR appear to have had another challenging week, a member of my family travelled from Totnes to Paddington on Tuesday returning yesterday - both services were over an hour late (failed freight train at Reading West yesterday, don't know the reason for Tuesday delay) they must be handing out a small fortune in delay repay, particularly as TM's are (correctly) using PA announcements to remind people to claim.

dk1

Veteran Member
The crew for that service travel down on the 1303 from Paddington to Plymouth which would appear to have been diverted via Bristol and terminated at Exeter 68 mins late so I would guess that's the reason. GWR appear to have had another challenging week, a member of my family travelled from Totnes to Paddington on Tuesday returning yesterday - both services were over an hour late (failed freight train at Reading West yesterday, don't know the reason for Tuesday delay) they must be handing out a small fortune in delay repay, particularly as TM's are (correctly) using PA announcements to remind people to claim.

You’d be amazed at how many people just don’t bother to claim. GWR would often be well compensated as a train operator so the government who agreed to such generous delay repay will just pick up the tab in one way or another.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
You’d be amazed at how many people just don’t bother to claim. GWR would often be well compensated as a train operator so the government who agreed to such generous delay repay will just pick up the tab in one way or another.
It always amazes me how many people don't claim...then complain about the price of train tickets and that trains are late! :D

sh24

GWR try their best but the infrastructure challenges create havoc on a weekly basis..if not daily.

alastair

GWR try their best but the infrastructure challenges create havoc on a weekly basis..if not daily.
Agreed, but it's not just infrastructure. On my trip to London last week we were spot on time and then suddenly slowed on the Westbury avoider. Looking at Traksy, a freight train running 17 mins early was sent out in front of us so we had to crawl for miles until it could be looped at Woodborough, by that time we were 20 late. Commendably, lateness was pulled back to 14min by Paddington (and avoided delay repay for GWR!). The big delays/diversions on this last Wednesday afternoon were due to a freight failing across the junctions by Reading West thus blocking both the Newbury and the Basingstoke lines.

irish_rail

Established Member
Agreed, but it's not just infrastructure. On my trip to London last week we were spot on time and then suddenly slowed on the Westbury avoider. Looking at Traksy, a freight train running 17 mins early was sent out in front of us so we had to crawl for miles until it could be looped at Woodborough, by that time we were 20 late. Commendably, lateness was pulled back to 14min by Paddington (and avoided delay repay for GWR!). The big delays/diversions on this last Wednesday afternoon were due to a freight failing across the junctions by Reading West thus blocking both the Newbury and the Basingstoke lines.
Indeed poor regulation is a big issue on the B and H. An extra signal section between Castle Cary and Somerton would be a big help in the down direction. I generally find I get quite a better run on the Up, however as soon as a freight is given priority it is generally game over!

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Does anyone have an idea what is happening with the evening Pullman service from Paddington to the South West currently?
The notes on https://www.gwr.com/travelling-with-us/pullman-dining to say the 19.04 service being moved to 18.03 have disappeared but the 19.04 is still crossed out wit the 18.03 shown in the list.
However if you look at availability over the next couple of weeks it seems no availability at all over easter (which I somewhat understand), but then only lunchtime availability after that with no evening service.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Does anyone have an idea what is happening with the evening Pullman service from Paddington to the South West currently?
The notes on https://www.gwr.com/travelling-with-us/pullman-dining to say the 19.04 service being moved to 18.03 have disappeared but the 19.04 is still crossed out wit the 18.03 shown in the list.
However if you look at availability over the next couple of weeks it seems no availability at all over easter (which I somewhat understand), but then only lunchtime availability after that with no evening service.
All dates are now available for most of April. It appears Pullman is staying on the 1803 for the foreseable future.