• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Pullman dining reinstated

Private Baxter

Established Member
Big shame that the lunchtime down train won't be coming back, I loved taking that!
Same, the 12.04 down departure was my favourite, but at least the later 13.04 is returning. I think that one goes to Penzance only in the summer months, the rest of the time goes just as far as Plymouth.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Odd, because EMT used to sell the best part of 2 Mk 3 carriages of an HST on the Nottm to St P run every Saturday morning (even before it became an all inclusive breakfast with the 1st class ticket). No doubt 95%+ leisure travellers. Used to think it was a good deal because it fills you up enough to not need much of a lunch later on, so good value as a result.

They did - but it appears to be a certainty it also won't be back. A better catering offer at weekends but a less good one in the week for "consistent service" appears to be the future on the MML, I think the last first class breakfast has been served unfortunately. Those trains would have been full anyway with or without breakfast - they always were in both standard and first.

WesternLancer

Established Member
They did - but it appears to be a certainty it also won't be back. A better catering offer at weekends but a less good one in the week for "consistent service" appears to be the future on the MML, I think the last first class breakfast has been served unfortunately. Those trains would have been full anyway with or without breakfast - they always were in both standard and first.
That's v sad news LowLevel. I would regularly book that train and pay the asking price fare for the extra benefit offered!

basfordlad

Odd, because EMT used to sell the best part of 2 Mk 3 carriages of an HST on the Nottm to St P run every Saturday morning (even before it became an all inclusive breakfast with the 1st class ticket). No doubt 95%+ leisure travellers. Used to think it was a good deal because it fills you up enough to not need much of a lunch later on, so good value as a result.
yes used this several times
service was always good and the breakfast was spot, was indeed good value for a weekend away in london

station_road

Sad indeed - my EMR First Class breakfast this morning was a cup of tea and packet of Biscoff biscuits offered by the very apologetic lady with the trolley

Private Baxter

Established Member
The social media team have a different view about breakfast coming back. I suspect however they haven't read the Modern Railways article

RPI

Established Member
GNER being the honorable exception? As far as I'm aware (and I may well be wrong and happy to be corrected) but the restaurants on the western/GWT/FGW/GWR have been consistent since privatisation? With the obvious exception of during covid?

gaillark

On-board silver service dining:
I've used Great Western Pullman dining for many years before and after privatisation. Always great service but the ambience in the IET's is very poor but service is still great.
Another notable worthy contender is TfW's dining service on the Holyhead to Cardiff Welsh Government sponsored train. Excellent. (now 1712 CDF - HHD)

Sadly East Midlands Railway have given up on its excellent cooked breakfast restaurant.

Devonian

GNER being the honorable exception? As far as I'm aware (and I may well be wrong and happy to be corrected) but the restaurants on the western/GWT/FGW/GWR have been consistent since privatisation? With the obvious exception of during covid?
Anglia Trains was, of course, the other honourable exception for many years: like GNER, they ran an extensive (and excellent) restaurant service throughout the day, until National Express killed it off in 2008. But the Great Western London-Plymouth route is indeed the only line to have had a consistently scheduled restaurant service, I believe running from the brief break during WW2 up until the pandemic; though it was down to four a day in the early 2010s - the minimum permitted in the franchise agreement - and was, frankly, almost a secret for many years, hence its lack of mention when people talked of the 'end of restaurant cars'.

Railway World

Agreed - it was a rather sweeping generalisation and I know that dining survived on the Plymouth route and that there was a fine service on the Liverpool Street - Norwich line until National Express killed it off, as pointed out above.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
On-board silver service dining:

Another notable worthy contender is TfW's dining service on the Holyhead to Cardiff Welsh Government sponsored train. Excellent. (now 1712 CDF - HHD)
I can strongly mirror your praise for TFW's Evening food service. I've never had a bad experience on it. My last long distance journey before Covid was on the "Gerald" in early 2020 from Cardiff to Chester. Every single table was occupied from Cardiff and I probably would have got turned away had I boarded at Newport, as a few people who had reserved seats couldn't find seats together. (for some reason no reservations were present)

Hawkwood Junc

It's a shame to hear that the Pullam service has been downgraded somewhat post Pandemic. Can but hope the service will return in due course. The Anglian Service was staggeringly good for a journey of ~2 hours, always loved travelling with them. At the same time I'm not surprised that it was reduced.

I've always tried to patronise the restaurant cars on long distance trains for as long as I can remember. 2 experiences stick out - heading up to Durham for a University Open day with my Mum and having a great lunch in a HST GNER restaurant car sometime in 2004. The staff were delightful, clearly enjoyed what they were doing and provided a superb service. The food wasn't out of this world but it was better than your average pub grub.

Fast forward to 2016 and my wife and I have dinner in the Pullman Restaurant car on GWR - 19:03 from Paddington to Plymouth (The Armada??). The food was exceptional, the staff brilliant (they even found me a port somewhere) and they were more than happy for us to sit in the restaurant car until Plymouth. The IET ambience isn't the same as the Mk3 but hopefully the staff will be allowed to at least recreate the food and lovely service provided before.

Plan to try The Gerald at some point in the near future. Looking forward to it.

williamn

Is it still just the two trains a day with it? I’m on the 13.23 from Swansea currently and it looked liked they had the tablecloths out in the front coach.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Is it still just the two trains a day with it? I’m on the 13.23 from Swansea currently and it looked liked they had the tablecloths out in the front coach.
Listen for an announcement. It might just be a test run if not. As far as I know the others are starting up on Monday.

williamn

Will see if there’s an announcement after Cardiff, thanks!

Otherwise there’s no food on a lunchtime train it seems - neither first class or standard trolleys are carrying any sandwiches…

Private Baxter

Established Member
It's a shame to hear that the Pullam service has been downgraded somewhat post Pandemic. Can but hope the service will return in due course. The Anglian Service was staggeringly good for a journey of ~2 hours, always loved travelling with them. At the same time I'm not surprised that it was reduced.

I've always tried to patronise the restaurant cars on long distance trains for as long as I can remember. 2 experiences stick out - heading up to Durham for a University Open day with my Mum and having a great lunch in a HST GNER restaurant car sometime in 2004. The staff were delightful, clearly enjoyed what they were doing and provided a superb service. The food wasn't out of this world but it was better than your average pub grub.

Fast forward to 2016 and my wife and I have dinner in the Pullman Restaurant car on GWR - 19:03 from Paddington to Plymouth (The Armada??). The food was exceptional, the staff brilliant (they even found me a port somewhere) and they were more than happy for us to sit in the restaurant car until Plymouth. The IET ambience isn't the same as the Mk3 but hopefully the staff will be allowed to at least recreate the food and lovely service provided before.

Plan to try The Gerald at some point in the near future. Looking forward to it.
I first discovered it in 2016, and had a few food experiences on the HST. I agree the ambience on the IET is far inferior to what went before, but the food and service is as good as ever. I expect silver service and full menu to return in due course. I've not tried the Gerald, but intend to when that comes back.

eroded

Me too!

I asked the staff, it's a trial, starting next week on the 13:23 ex-Swansea and the 18:48 ex-Paddo in the evening.

I'm in K35 (the best seat) if you want to say hello btw :)

TPO

Hopwood has stated in Modern Railways that breakfast will not be returning ever due to already pre-pandemic low demand.

That's a pity and I'm surprised, in days when HSTs were running and I not infrequently traveled between South Wales and London, the dining car on the one breakfast train from South Wales always seemed well-patronised and obviously quite a few "regulars."

Yet another reason not to use the train. :{

I supposed focusing on the commuter market Didcot-Paddington is what GWR are really about. I was disappointed when the proposed open access operator from South Wales to Paddington was turned down as I was hoping for a Grand Central-type option.

TPO

Private Baxter

Established Member
That's a pity and I'm surprised, in days when HSTs were running and I not infrequently traveled between South Wales and London, the dining car on the one breakfast train from South Wales always seemed well-patronised and obviously quite a few "regulars."

Yet another reason not to use the train. :{
It was always well used, at least from my own observation. Perhaps they just anticipate many of their former regulars not coming back. That said there can't have been too many making the full journey on a daily basis, so in that respect, I wonder how much will actually change. However it needs to be balanced with a good return journey as well, so whilst the up breakfast was well used, it's return journey, on the 10.48 ex Pad was less well used (more unpredictable), so perhaps the logic is an up lunch and return dinner will be better.

Mogz

I think the GNER point was that most services had a restaurant (I remember them well!) whereas GWT/FGW/GWR had only a select smattering of services with a restaurant car.

RPI

Established Member
I think the GNER point was that most services had a restaurant (I remember them well!) whereas GWT/FGW/GWR had only a select smattering of services with a restaurant car.
Up until around 2010 there were several restaurant trains on FGW, even what was the 15:00 from Plymouth had one! There was also the "Bistro" (who remembers that then!) Which was effectively just the travelling chef menu but you could sit in coach F and eat it from a plate with cutlery, wasn't silver service or anything. Didnt last long, must have been around 2008ish?

There seemed then to be a mass cull of everything other than the 12:04 and 12:56 up from Plymouth and 18:03/19:03 down

Private Baxter

Established Member
Has anyone seen the Pullman services out and about today? The full service was supposedly reinstated today, though haven't heard anything about it.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Has anyone seen the Pullman services out and about today? The full service was supposedly reinstated today, though haven't heard anything about it.

Is that the full service as in silver service menu or the additional services such as 13:04 Penzance?

Private Baxter

Established Member
Is that the full service as in silver service menu or the additional services such as 13:04 Penzance?
Sorry, the additional services like the one you mention, as well as the new Swansea one. I couldn't tell you about the full silver service yet either.

williamn

So what’s the full list of services that it’s now on? GWR haven’t updated their website yet…

Private Baxter

Established Member
So what’s the full list of services that it’s now on? GWR haven’t updated their website yet…
There are two up lunches from Plymouth. 12.00ish and 13.15, and now just one down lunch at 13.04. There is an up dinner at 18.15, and two down dinners at 18.04 and 19.04. In addition there is lunch from Swansea at 13.23, returning with dinner at 18.48.
You're right it is not listed on their website, however, will show up when searching for specific train services and facilities.

EDIT
Full list:
12.08 Plymouth to Pad
13.15 Plymouth to Pad
18.14 Plymouth to Pad
13.04 Pad to Plymouth
18.04 Pad to Penzance
19.04 Pad to Plymouth
13.23 Swansea to Pad
18.48 Pad to Swansea

Last edited: