• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Pullman dining reinstated

RPI

Established Member
Good. I can't begin to imagine why Covid supposedly prevented them being available, but then "due to Covid" seems to be a blanket non-excuse for so much at the moment.
In slight defence of GWR its being blamed on Rail Gourmet who furloughed most of their staff

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
In slight defence of GWR its being blamed on Rail Gourmet who furloughed most of their staff
Why would furloughing of staff impact whether sandwiches are offered or not?

"Staff on furlough" is of course the secondary blanket non-excuse after "due to Covid". ;)

RPI

Established Member
Why would furloughing of staff impact whether sandwiches are offered or not?

"Staff on furlough" is of course the secondary blanket non-excuse after "due to Covid". ;)
Don't shoot the messenger!

Mogz

I’m glad to see it’s still available to Standard Class passengers if there’s room.

It’s still a proper dining car.

Private Baxter

Established Member
I finally used the Pullman once again last week. Food and service was excellent as ever, though as expected felt very different to what it used to be. It was a 9 car, and seats in both K and L were set up for dining, although they were starting with K, moving back to L. On this occasion there were no diners in L, but each table in K that had been laid out, was in use.

At the moment, with staff still sticking to social distancing rules, it was one party per table. As such the social aspect of Pullman, for which it is well known, just wasn't there, though as a solo diner, this doesn't particularly bother me. The trains themselves don't help in this regard anyway. However the crew were pleased to be back, and they believe a full service to resume in the new year, including silver service element, and reinstatement of the other Pullman services INCLUDING both breakfasts. Who knows.

I might be entering the fantasy realm now, but when the full Pullman service does return (silver service and all), I like to think there is still a market for the slimmed down bistro style dining on other services, as I think it worked well. It would be better on the shorter routes, such as Cheltenham, and maybe Bristol, and some of the Plymouth/Penzance services that don't have Pullman. I don't expect it of course, just think it could work.

Mogz

I finally used the Pullman once again last week. Food and service was excellent as ever, though as expected felt very different to what it used to be. It was a 9 car, and seats in both K and L were set up for dining, although they were starting with K, moving back to L. On this occasion there were no diners in L, but each table in K that had been laid out, was in use.

At the moment, with staff still sticking to social distancing rules, it was one party per table. As such the social aspect of Pullman, for which it is well known, just wasn't there, though as a solo diner, this doesn't particularly bother me. The trains themselves don't help in this regard anyway. However the crew were pleased to be back, and they believe a full service to resume in the new year, including silver service element, and reinstatement of the other Pullman services INCLUDING both breakfasts. Who knows.

I might be entering the fantasy realm now, but when the full Pullman service does return (silver service and all), I like to think there is still a market for the slimmed down bistro style dining on other services, as I think it worked well. It would be better on the shorter routes, such as Cheltenham, and maybe Bristol, and some of the Plymouth/Penzance services that don't have Pullman. I don't expect it of course, just think it could work.
I agree. Given the end car has a full kitchen it would be nice to see the end half-coach given over to a bistro type arrangement.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I agree. Given the end car has a full kitchen it would be nice to see the end half-coach given over to a bistro type arrangement.
Pullman dining aside the catering offer on GWR long distance services is lamentable, but there doesn't seem to be any enthusiasm to improve it.

RPI

Established Member
Pullman dining aside the catering offer on GWR long distance services is lamentable, but there doesn't seem to be any enthusiasm to improve it.
It is pretty poor, however, at least there has been catering on offer over at least the last two lockdowns (save the couple of weeks when it was withdrawn pending a new risk assessment), the likes of TPE are only now bringing it back, SWR did away completely, crosscountry are still offering a static service (which baffles me as it ends with people queuing through the coach).
It was quite funny during the last lockdown where there could be as few as 30 passengers on a 9 car yet the trolley would still take respectable money as you'd find that literally everyone would buy something in order to sit and eat and not wear a mask haha

Mogz

It is pretty poor, however, at least there has been catering on offer over at least the last two lockdowns (save the couple of weeks when it was withdrawn pending a new risk assessment), the likes of TPE are only now bringing it back, SWR did away completely, crosscountry are still offering a static service (which baffles me as it ends with people queuing through the coach).
It was quite funny during the last lockdown where there could be as few as 30 passengers on a 9 car yet the trolley would still take respectable money as you'd find that literally everyone would buy something in order to sit and eat and not wear a mask haha
Did SWT once actually have buffets on the 444s, or does my brain deceive me?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Did SWT once actually have buffets on the 444s, or does my brain deceive me?

There were buffets but they were little used other than on some evening peak workings towards Bournemouth.

There was a refurb plan done up between SWT and Siemens as part of the Direct Award which Stagecoach and DfT failed to agree terms on which removed the buffet and reduced the size of First Class to increase standard seats. This refurb plan was basically specified in the ITT for the next franchise and this was ultimately delivered by SWR.

Private Baxter

Established Member
I'm glad you like the idea. Additional costs would of course be the hiring of chefs, but the customer service side of things can be done using existing customer hosts.
I agree, it is poor,.and as you say is never properly addressed. I once took a set in first, and requested a coffee when the standard trolley came through (which is actually very good) but was told that my complimentary coffee would be available shortly. The coffee in first is not particularly good. :D

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Steak is back on the Pullman menu on the Pullman evening train from London to Plymouth on Thursday and Friday evenings.

williamn

Is it my imagination or were there once supposed to be two lunch services from Plymouth? Is there actually only one?

Essexman

Established Member
There were two each way at lunchtime, now only one. But there is a lunch and dinner service between London & Swansea now.
Sadly no breakfasts / brunch on either route. I wonder if that is due to lower profit per diner rather than fewer diners than fro lunch & dinner.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Is it my imagination or were there once supposed to be two lunch services from Plymouth? Is there actually only one?

Just the one from Plymouth (1315 departure) and the one from Swansea (1323 departure) around lunch. It will be the same trains in the December timetable too.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Just the one from Plymouth (1315 departure) and the one from Swansea (1323 departure) around lunch. It will be the same trains in the December timetable too.

I travelled on the 1323 from Swansea a couple of weeks ago, staff were laying out the tables for dining at Bristol Parkway; Would there have been an earlier sitting (it seems unlikely) ? Unfortunately I was unable to partake as I was only going to Swindon !

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Bit of gossip on the Pullman, which I took for the first time in a while tonight. Apparently the Welsh Pullman is being shifted to the 1748 from Paddington, vice 1848.

Bit disappointing in my view, it's not a service I'd tend to catch as it's a bit early for a full working day in the office and is generally a bit hard to justify for the price of the ticket. Plus it's almost too early for dinner based on the arrival time into Cardiff (I'd probably just eat at home).

LordCreed

Bit of gossip on the Pullman, which I took for the first time in a while tonight. Apparently the Welsh Pullman is being shifted to the 1748 from Paddington, vice 1848.

Bit disappointing in my view, it's not a service I'd tend to catch as it's a bit early for a full working day in the office and is generally a bit hard to justify for the price of the ticket. Plus it's almost too early for dinner based on the arrival time into Cardiff (I'd probably just eat at home).

Yes, it is being moved from the 18.48 to 17.48.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Have only heard unconfirmed reports so far of the 1848 moving to the 1748, but nothing actually in place yet. Not much money being made on the 1848 apparently.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Interesting to read about this shift. On the one hand, patronage on the 18.48 has been a bit hit and miss, so I understand the shift, although the 17.48 can be even quieter! If anything, I had hoped it might be moved back to 19.18. However, I suppose an earlier return means an earlier lunch, suggesting the up Pullman will also move forward to 12.23, which is a more sociable lunch time, particularly as it hits Cardiff and Bristol.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Interesting to read about this shift. On the one hand, patronage on the 18.48 has been a bit hit and miss, so I understand the shift, although the 17.48 can be even quieter! If anything, I had hoped it might be moved back to 19.18. However, I suppose an earlier return means an earlier lunch, suggesting the up Pullman will also move forward to 12.23, which is a more sociable lunch time, particularly as it hits Cardiff and Bristol.
Presumably it also shortens the on board Pullman crew’s turn length by an hour?

Class800

Established Member
One of the many draw backs of pairs of 5 car sets unfortunately. In an ideal world , and with the benefit of hindsight, im fairly sure GWR would have opted for far more 9 car sets , but we are where we are now unfortunately.
So if one books Pullman, there's only a 50% chance you can actually have it?