• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR service reductions from 26th July

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffk

Established Member
Following on from Avanti, GWR is also making temporary changes to train times in Devon and Cornwall (i.e. cuts) with effect from Monday 26th July. The changes are due to members of staff - in particular drivers and guards - having to isolate following contact from NHS Test and Trace.

While a number of services are cancelled outright, some branch line trains are being replaced by buses, e.g. evening trains to/from Looe and Gunnislake and a late afternoon return service to Newquay. The implication is that bus drivers must be available for these additional duties even though rail staff in the same area are not.

Is there a reason for this, other than the fact that bus work is less regulated, making it easier to pull in a driver at short notice?

At today’s opening of the new Exeter Bus Station I asked a Stagecoach manager if they were suffering from drivers having to self-isolate. He said the company did have staff off work but they were just about managing to cover services, any cuts falling on the more frequent routes. I suppose the press is more interested in the railway’s problems as they rarely seem to mention buses.

The government has announced that "some transport workers" will be exempt from having to isolate if they are pinged by the NHS Covid-19 app. Does this not include rail staff?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Following on from Avanti, GWR is also making temporary changes to train times in Devon and Cornwall (i.e. cuts) with effect from Monday 26th July. The changes are due to members of staff - in particular drivers and guards - having to isolate following contact from NHS Test and Trace.

While a number of services are cancelled outright, some branch line trains are being replaced by buses, e.g. evening trains to/from Looe and Gunnislake and a late afternoon return service to Newquay. The implication is that bus drivers must be available for these additional duties even though rail staff in the same area are not.

Is there a reason for this, other than the fact that bus work is less regulated, making it easier to pull in a driver at short notice?

At today’s opening of the new Exeter Bus Station I asked a Stagecoach manager if they were suffering from drivers having to self-isolate. He said the company did have staff off work but they were just about managing to cover services, any cuts falling on the more frequent routes. I suppose the press is more interested in the railway’s problems as they rarely seem to mention buses.

The government has announced that "some transport workers" will be exempt from having to isolate if they are pinged by the NHS Covid-19 app. Does this not include rail staff?

Already a thread here:-

www.railforums.co.uk/threads/gwr-reduced-timetable-26-july.220202/

geoffk

Established Member
Sorry missed that one. Perhaps my post should go on the buses forum. And what's the latest on the NHS Covid app as it affects rail workers?

Status
Not open for further replies.