• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Strike Timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldfish62

Established Member
South Western Railway ran a weekday timetable last Thursday with only changes in the morning to account for signallers starting their shifts at 7:30 am. Surely they also would have units in depots. If it was just a moving trains from depot issue, how could they run such a service?

All I'm trying to do is understand this it works and the limitations.
Take for example the first train from Reading at 0742. That would have been stabled in the station overnight (as at least one always is). So staff taxi to Reading to pick up the train. Probably the same with the 0812 as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Route115?

Given it was only drivers on strike on Saturday, it is interesting that some services finished earlier on Sunday. GWar state it was due to the strikes.
Sunday is not part of the working week & many drivers wanted to weekend off, or so I am told.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Sunday is not part of the working week & many drivers wanted to weekend off, or so I am told.
Well GWR blamed it on the strike. Where they doing a Boris Johnson? (Not telling the truth)?

If working is optional that is not a strike.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Well GWR blamed it on the strike. Where they doing a Boris Johnson? (Not telling the truth)?

If working is optional that is not a strike.

It is and isn’t connected.
History has shown (and indeed happened here) if members are on strike on a Saturday they will often choose not to volunteer for overtime on the Sunday and have an additional weekend off.

So whilst it isn’t industrial action it is connected to the strike in that if they weren’t on strike on the Saturday there’s a higher level of volunteers on the Sunday. GWR haven’t said I don’t believe they were on strike on the Sunday it’s just an impact of the strike which is correct.

Hopefully that makes sense.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It is and isn’t connected.
History has shown (and indeed happened here) if members are on strike on a Saturday they will often choose not to volunteer for overtime on the Sunday and have an additional weekend off.

So whilst it isn’t industrial action it is connected to the strike in that if they weren’t on strike on the Saturday there’s a higher level of volunteers on the Sunday. GWR haven’t said I don’t believe they were on strike on the Sunday it’s just an impact of the strike which is correct.

Hopefully that makes sense.
It does make sense. If it was me I might want to work the Sunday times make up lost pay but that is just me.

Jamiescott1

Think gwr made a mistake with their strike timetable today.
There was two early morning services advertised on the strike timetable from maidenhead to Paddington (0546 EL and 0553 GWR).
Tge EL service was stlll on journey planner at 0530 with the GWR service cancelled. I got to the station at 0540 and both had been cancelled. The automated announcements said they were cancelled due to strike action.
There was about 15 people waiting for them who alongside me now have a 2hour wait for the next train

Goldfish62

Established Member
Think gwr made a mistake with their strike timetable today.
There was two early morning services advertised on the strike timetable from maidenhead to Paddington (0546 EL and 0553 GWR).
Tge EL service was stlll on journey planner at 0530 with the GWR service cancelled. I got to the station at 0540 and both had been cancelled. The automated announcements said they were cancelled due to strike action.
There was about 15 people waiting for them who alongside me now have a 2hour wait for the next train
Oh well, at least you can claim Delay Repay because they were advertised services...

stj

Had a regular direct service to and from Paddington calling at Severn Tunnel Jn today!

Dai Corner

Established Member

Goldfish62

Established Member
It's alleged by an inside source that I know that apart from the late start last Friday's "special" timetable was completely unnecessary as mess rooms were brimming over with staff with nothing to do. His view is that GWR deliberately ran a poor service in order to try to blame the RMT for an extra day of disruption.

Incidentally, for those who missed it a six car 165/166 formation ran an additional Exeter - Paddington via Berks and Hants working on Friday afternoon such was the pressure of passenger numbers with the depleted service.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
It's alleged by an inside source that I know that apart from the late start last Friday's "special" timetable was completely unnecessary as mess rooms were brimming over with staff with nothing to do. His view is that GWR deliberately ran a poor service in order to try to blame the RMT for an extra day of disruption.

However is it not best to be cautious over what you plan to offer and actually deliver it?? There’s many posts on here criticising TOCs for over promising and under delivering.

Goldfish62

Established Member
However is it not best to be cautious over what you plan to offer and actually deliver it?? There’s many posts on here criticising TOCs for over promising and under delivering.
Sounds like GWR were being over-cautious. there is a balance to be struck and it sounds like they got it wrong, deliberately or otherwise. It does feel these days that some TOCs increasingly can't be bothered to provide a service and opt for the easy option of over-caution instead. After all, it's not their revenue anymore so there's no incentive.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Well SWR were running their usual Friday timetable, save the later start time.

I'm not saying what the person said is true. I don't know either way. Just that their was a TOC running a Friday timetable for most of the day.

syrac

Is it likely that rail replacement services will run from Oxford to Didcot on September 17th due to the planned engineering works, despite the strike, or not?

Veteran Member
Is it likely that rail replacement services will run from Oxford to Didcot on September 17th due to the planned engineering works, despite the strike, or not?
If the work goes ahead, then yes - but will it?!

syrac

If the work goes ahead, then yes - but will it?!
I hope so - need to get back to Bristol on the 17th! I assume there will be some sort of service between London and Bristol on the strike days?

infobleep

Veteran Member
I would have thought id they have contracted the bus company to run the buses, they will fun regardless.

During the early days of the pandemic, there was engineering work at Guildford.

Despite fewer trains running between Guildford and Aldershot, they run a rail replacement bus every 30 minutes. I assumed that was due to it being agreed upon previously.

So based on that I would expect the same here. Time will tell.

Established Member
In previous strikes the EMR buses from Derby to Spondon/Stoke have not run.

class ep-09

I'm wondering what service will be like on 1st and 2nd. Never travelled during aslef strikes only rmt ones.
I have a marathon to get to so hope liz lines run early on the 2nd from maidenhead
You may be among lucky few as I think the Elizabeth Line is running ( so will you :))) ) .

That is on Sunday the 2nd as on the 1st RMT with ASLEF are striking so no signallers or drivers to run trains of any kind ( or very little number of them ).

Last edited:

Established Member
I'm wondering what service will be like on 1st and 2nd. Never travelled during aslef strikes only rmt ones. I have a marathon to get to so hope liz lines run early on the 2nd from maidenhead
Very unlikely to be early trains from Maidenhead on Sunday as NR signal boxes shut overnight, generally start up 0700-0800 depending on location/operator.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I'm wondering what service will be like on 1st and 2nd. Never travelled during aslef strikes only rmt ones.
I have a marathon to get to so hope liz lines run early on the 2nd from maidenhead
Drive or get a lift to Hatton Cross or Hounslow West and tube it in.

Minstral25

Established Member
Just noticed that the North Downs line is closed from Wednesday next week until Sunday due to Strikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.