• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
New member - first post.

I passed my 1st & 2nd driver assessments and the MMI and each time I received an invite to the next stage within 2 days. I've been told the next stage is a DMI, but haven't received an invite two weeks later? Should I be worried?

GWR, 19/20 talent pool at Plymouth.

No don't worry. I'm still waiting for mine and I did my MMI in August. They've told me they are waiting for the Manager to confirm dates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DWR

Not really. Recruitment request your DMI and then it's down to the driver managers for your chosen depot allocating time when two of them can sit the interview/s. Some parts of the process seem to move quicker than others. Ultimately it gives you time to prepare so see it as a positive (although I'm sure like most, you're keen to get it done and find out if you've made it)

Thank you very much. That's a good way of looking at it!

alanyoung165

New member - first post.

I passed my 1st & 2nd driver assessments and the MMI and each time I received an invite to the next stage within 2 days. I've been told the next stage is a DMI, but haven't received an invite two weeks later? Should I be worried?

GWR, 19/20 talent pool at Plymouth.
Do you remember the questions asked during your MMI?

Tommy222256

How long before the course starts do you normally get the welcoming pack? I think it’s been said on here but not sure!!

DWR

Emergency situation
Time on training course longer than 2 weeks
Working when it was important to be precise
Experience similar to train driver role

...were all questions that I remember answering in the MMI, but I was asked for more scenarios in the pre-interview. The questions you get asked about your pre-interview responses in the MMI are dependent on your responses in the SJE.

alanyoung165

Emergency situation
Time on training course longer than 2 weeks
Working when it was important to be precise
Experience similar to train driver role

...were all questions that I remember answering in the MMI, but I was asked for more scenarios in the pre-interview. The questions you get asked about your pre-interview responses in the MMI are dependent on your responses in the SJE.
Ah I see, thanks.

Nonuts

As above and... A time you've had to perform a task/role and it was important you got it right

Struggled to learn something and had to persevere

You probably know already but the MMI looks for answers on the STAR format. Situation, Task, Action, Result

What happened, what did you need to do, what did you do, what was the result.

If they want you to elaborate further on an answer they'll prompt you. It's ok not to have an answer having not come across the situation as they'll ask something else. They'll pick up if you make something up so better not to.

alanyoung165

As above and... A time you've had to perform a task/role and it was important you got it right

Struggled to learn something and had to persevere

You probably know already but the MMI looks for answers on the STAR format. Situation, Task, Action, Result

What happened, what did you need to do, what did you do, what was the result.

If they want you to elaborate further on an answer they'll prompt you. It's ok not to have an answer having not come across the situation as they'll ask something else. They'll pick up if you make something up so better not to.
Thanks.
Is ok to use a scenario more than once??

alanyoung165

Yes you can, as long as it's relevant of course. If they don't think it is then they will ask you for another anyway so have a reserve answer to hand!
Oh blimey! This is the part I've been dreading the most!
Do you take the paper with your answers in to the room or do they just ask you the questions from when you filled it out previously?

Liam00086

Oh blimey! This is the part I've been dreading the most!
Do you take the paper with your answers in to the room or do they just ask you the questions from when you filled it out previously?
They have the paper you wrote on, In mine it was on the table in front of me and I was able to see what I put. The main thing with the MMI is to be 100% honest with your answers.

alanyoung165

They have the paper you wrote on, In mine it was on the table in front of me and I was able to see what I put. The main thing with the MMI is to be 100% honest with your answers.
Ok cool cheers.
I'm just worried that I wont be able to remember or demonstrate the driver qualities they're looking for...

DWR

Ok cool cheers.
I'm just worried that I wont be able to remember or demonstrate the driver qualities they're looking for...
I didn't know what they were looking for exactly, but I had heard from a GWR engineer that they are very keen on 'non-technical skills', so I tried to mention as many of them as I could (Google them). Things like 'communication, planning, anticipating risk, etc.'

I also found that there wasn't any feedback from the interviewer (e.g. nodding along if you say the right thing, or hinting that you need to expand your answer) which you might expect in a standard interview. Try not to let that put you off, because I think that is just the way the interview is conducted.

I was trying to follow the STAR model, but felt like I deviated quite a bit and after about 3mins of answering one question I had to ask for it to be repeated!!

They will ask for specifics - I did an 18mth training course and they asked me to list all the modules - I couldn't, but I felt like it was testing if I was being truthful.

I also remember being asked a couple of questions completely unrelated to my scenarios. One was "how do you feel about doing repetitive work?".

Tommy222256

Also be prepared for them to say one of your examples is not what they want or not good enough and can you give them another one, this is to put you under a bit of pressure and to see if you stay calm and come up with something else!!

The MMI is a very structured IV and it’s about the answers and not about seeing you as a person!!

alanyoung165

I didn't know what they were looking for exactly, but I had heard from a GWR engineer that they are very keen on 'non-technical skills', so I tried to mention as many of them as I could (Google them). Things like 'communication, planning, anticipating risk, etc.'

I also found that there wasn't any feedback from the interviewer (e.g. nodding along if you say the right thing, or hinting that you need to expand your answer) which you might expect in a standard interview. Try not to let that put you off, because I think that is just the way the interview is conducted.

I was trying to follow the STAR model, but felt like I deviated quite a bit and after about 3mins of answering one question I had to ask for it to be repeated!!

They will ask for specifics - I did an 18mth training course and they asked me to list all the modules - I couldn't, but I felt like it was testing if I was being truthful.

I also remember being asked a couple of questions completely unrelated to my scenarios. One was "how do you feel about doing repetitive work?".
Thanks DWR

alanyoung165

Also be prepared for them to say one of your examples is not what they want or not good enough and can you give them another one, this is to put you under a bit of pressure and to see if you stay calm and come up with something else!!

The MMI is a very structured IV and it’s about the answers and not about seeing you as a person!!
Thanks Tommy

dan1985

I had my DMI Wednesday. how long before anyone normally hears back from that, and how long was the wait for the medical and location of medical.

Busandrail

I had my DMI Wednesday. how long before anyone normally hears back from that, and how long was the wait for the medical and location of medical.

It seems to vary a lot from depot to depot. Mine took ages whereas lots of others on here varied from days to a couple weeks.

Liam00086

Took 3 weeks for me to find out I had passed my DMI, 3 days later for the call about medical and start date

Busandrail

Just had my firm offer email. Accepted and finally I can relax (until the training starts).

Roll on Jan 6th

Just had my firm offer email. Accepted and finally I can relax (until the training starts).

Roll on Jan 6th

Congratulations and Well Done, its a nice feeling not having to check those emails every hour of the day for weeks on end for updates. Roll on the 2nd December

Daydr3am3r

Congratulations and Well Done, its a nice feeling not having to check those emails every hour of the day for weeks on end for updates. Roll on the 2nd December

Not long now. I have a bit of leave to take which means two weeks today is my last day of current job!!

Looking forward to receiving the JI and timetable now.

Status
Not open for further replies.