• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dan1985

Well done to all! I passed my DMI just waiting for placement now, i would like to know your thoughts on this what company would you choose if you had offer for all of them. SE, SWR, or GWR.

TH51

Has anyone heard any news of a start date for a course for the paddington hex please? Had a medical last month and as yet haven't heard anything.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Has anyone heard any news of a start date for a course for the paddington hex please? Had a medical last month and as yet haven't heard anything.
You should know by now - they only book medicals when you've got a course to go on. I'd recheck your emails and paperwork

TH51

Thanks. A February start date was mentioned in my interview but I've had nothing else through since

Liam00086

Thanks. A February start date was mentioned in my interview but I've had nothing else through since
Usually when they phone you to book the medical they give you the date then. Have you had a contract yet?

TH51

Usually when they phone you to book the medical they give you the date then. Have you had a contract yet?
Thanks. When the telephone call came I'm pretty sure a February date was mentioned again but I think I was so surprised by the call I wasn't really taking it all in that well! I haven't had a contract sent through yet. When would that normally happen?

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks. When the telephone call came I'm pretty sure a February date was mentioned again but I think I was so surprised by the call I wasn't really taking it all in that well! I haven't had a contract sent through yet. When would that normally happen?
The formal offer can take a while to arrive, but there’s nothing wrong with giving recruitment a call to enquire.

TH51

Same position as you mate, waiting for the formal offer. Haven’t spoken to GWR yet what have they said to you about when theyre coming out?
I haven't spoken to them for a while mate because I didn't want to look like I was harassing them! Not sure how long to leave it really.

DJB

I haven't spoken to them for a while mate because I didn't want to look like I was harassing them! Not sure how long to leave it really.
Looks as though people are getting their offers two months before their start which would be December for us. Just a thought

Mintona

Established Member
Well done to all! I passed my DMI just waiting for placement now, i would like to know your thoughts on this what company would you choose if you had offer for all of them. SE, SWR, or GWR.

It depends where you live, and which depots you’ve applied for. For me the most important thing is quality of work. What are your options?

I’ve worked for two of the companies mentioned and my wife has worked for the other so can try and advise with a bit more detail.

Twotwo

It depends where you live, and which depots you’ve applied for. For me the most important thing is quality of work. What are your options?

I’ve worked for two of the companies mentioned and my wife has worked for the other so can try and advise with a bit more detail.

Se seems like intensive suburban doo work. Swr surburban and Windsor route is also quite intense but at least there's a second person. I have no idea about gwr lok

Fair mo

In regards of par Depot is there a few vacancies at the mo? I've my 2nd stage assessment in 2and half weeks. Would love to join you training on the 6th January!

Busandrail

In regards of par Depot is there a few vacancies at the mo? I've my 2nd stage assessment in 2and half weeks. Would love to join you training on the 6th January!

As I'm external I don't really know how many vacancies there are for definite, however I have a friend who is Dispatch and he said par was fairly understaffed. As far as I know from talking to a few people I'm the only one for Par on the Jan course.

Good luck with your assesments!

OZ3001

I received an email last week to say that my stage 2 as been postponed due to unforeseen circumstances. Anyone else had the same email??
My stage 2 was booked for 15th November in Swindon.
No biggy but it’s a pain when you need to book time off work to attend and then get this. Fingers crossed they can give me another date before Xmas.

Kernewek

Yes, I am external.

My situation might be different from some of you as I will be confined to train movements from Laria Depot to Plymouth Station and won't be mainline passengers for maybe 2 years. Apparently you get the same driver course and learn all traction but I won't get mainline route knowledge or carry passengers.

It wasn't the role I originally applied for but they offered me the position and its an excellent step in getting to mainline driving and the 2 years will fly by, so I am just as excited and I'm kind of in the grade, some of you will know more about it than I do, Let me know what I'm talking about lol.

Hi Cannon, congratulations on your role and good luck with training; not long now!

After being placed into the Plymouth talent pool recently, the position on my online application has now switched to a depot driver based at Laira, which by the looks of it is similar to what you are about to start training for. Assuming I'm now sat in a pool for a depot driver (if such a pool exists) I was wondering if you had any specific information regarding this role in terms of salary/ hours/ training schedule and how any future move to a mainline driver might come about? Any info/ advice is much appreciated!

Cheers

Hi Cannon, congratulations on your role and good luck with training; not long now!

After being placed into the Plymouth talent pool recently, the position on my online application has now switched to a depot driver based at Laira, which by the looks of it is similar to what you are about to start training for. Assuming I'm now sat in a pool for a depot driver (if such a pool exists) I was wondering if you had any specific information regarding this role in terms of salary/ hours/ training schedule and how any future move to a mainline driver might come about? Any info/ advice is much appreciated!

Cheers

Same training pay, you get offered a training contract, then a new contract once passed. You would probably pass out quicker than mainline because of route knowledge but go through the same classroom course. Then goes up to 70% of full drivers salary i think someone else told me 80%. A 35 hour week average. I dont have any idea of shift patterns. HR said i would be able to apply for mainline after 2 years but didn't say if that was once i passed or from start of employment.

Kernewek

Same training pay, you get offered a training contract, then a new contract once passed. You would probably pass out quicker than mainline because of route knowledge but go through the same classroom course. Then goes up to 70% of full drivers salary i think someone else told me 80%. A 35 hour week average. I dont have any idea of shift patterns. HR said i would be able to apply for mainline after 2 years but didn't say if that was once i passed or from start of employment.
Thanks Cannon, much appreciated and all the best with training. Hopefully I'll see you at Laira at some point :)

DWR

Can anyone give me a brief overview of training please? In terms of where it takes place, i.e. depot or training centre, 9-5 or shifts, etc.

Stigy

Established Member
Can anyone give me a brief overview of training please? In terms of where it takes place, i.e. depot or training centre, 9-5 or shifts, etc.
Bristol, Reading, Newton Abbott or Plymouth (I believe). That’s for the classroom based training anyway. Monday to Friday 0900-1600 usually (officially).

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks Stigy. Is that for 9mths?
No, the classroom training is 19-weeks (although there are a couple of weeks in that where you’ll be at local depot plus annual leave for a week possibly).

DWR

No, the classroom training is 19-weeks (although there are a couple of weeks in that where you’ll be at local depot plus annual leave for a week possibly).
Great, thanks for the info, that's really helpful.

Do they train all the days normal through the Xmas period in the classroom except for the Bank Holidays? Just wondering if Xmas Eve will be a full day and the Friday after Boxing day

Daydr3am3r

Do they train all the days normal through the Xmas period in the classroom except for the Bank Holidays? Just wondering if Xmas Eve will be a full day and the Friday after Boxing day

Who knows? Mindful it is training so there may be a small break. We should know in about a weeks time as the timetable will be sent out.

Status
Not open for further replies.