• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dtrucker

I’ve received my photcard and weekend first pass today, a week after my contract. What are these passes for? It states in the letter I’ve got my ATOC cards coming shortly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
I’ve received my photcard and weekend first pass today, a week after my contract. What are these passes for? It states in the letter I’ve got my ATOC cards coming shortly.
Photo card will accompany your PRIV and temp travel pass (technically all passes, but the GWR one has its own photo...you should have uploaded this to the Railstaff Travel site?), and weekend first is for limited free weekend First Class travel on GWR.

I had to chase Railstaff Travel up after not receiving my permanent one so bear this in mind as they hadn’t ordered it.

Last edited:

Tommy222256

Photo card will accompany your PRIV and temp travel pass (technically all passes, but the GWR one has its own photo...you should have uploaded this to the Railstaff Travel site?), and weekend first is for limited free weekend First Class travel on GWR.

I had to chase Railstaff Travel up after not receiving my permanent one so bear this in mind as they hadn’t ordered it.
Yeah the only one I have received has got the little card in, you fill in every time your travel first class. I haven’t received the other one that has been uploaded but should hopefully get it next week!!

Daydr3am3r

What are you confused about?

So I have my travel photo card and weekend first travel card. Yesterday I received my duty authority to travel card and firstgroup rail travel card.
Which card covers your free GWR travel? My letter from Rail Delivery Group said please find enclosed passes for your spouse if added online, to which I did, but there were no more passes.
I am planning on giving them a ring Monday but if anyone could clear it up for an external I would be grateful!

Stigy

Established Member
So I have my travel photo card and weekend first travel card. Yesterday I received my duty authority to travel card and firstgroup rail travel card.
Which card covers your free GWR travel? My letter from Rail Delivery Group said please find enclosed passes for your spouse if added online, to which I did, but there were no more passes.
I am planning on giving them a ring Monday but if anyone could clear it up for an external I would be grateful!
It can be confusing with so many passes. Your temporary pass which I believe is the one you say is your duty travel pass (although it’s not just valid for duty travel) is the one for free GWR travel whilst you are waiting for your proper pass to arrive. The spouse pass from RailStaff Travel is for your spouse’s free GWR travel. Your permanent one should follow. As I said, I have to chase mine up as I hadn’t received it nearly a month after starting and my temp one was due to expire.

Daydr3am3r

It can be confusing with so many passes. Your temporary pass which I believe is the one you say is your duty travel pass (although it’s not just valid for duty travel) is the one for free GWR travel whilst you are waiting for your proper pass to arrive. The spouse pass from RailStaff Travel is for your spouse’s free GWR travel. Your permanent one should follow. As I said, I have to chase mine up as I hadn’t received it nearly a month after starting and my temp one was due to expire.

It definitely is confusing. I’ll ping you a detailed response by DM so as to not bore everyone else!

Dtrucker

Ok thanks mate.

Busandrail

I literally came on the forum tonight to ask this. Got my weekend one but not recieved my one from the ATOC site that I uploaded.

Hopefully that will come before I start.

Stigy

Established Member
I literally came on the forum tonight to ask this. Got my weekend one but not recieved my one from the ATOC site that I uploaded.

Hopefully that will come before I start.
You will get a temporary one to use in the meantime. If you don’t, contact them and they will send you one.

Daydr3am3r

You will get a temporary one to use in the meantime. If you don’t, contact them and they will send you one.

And this is the one I’m missing. Call to training team and they are looking to send another one out. A lot of cards but makes more sense now.
Also spoken to Rail Delivery Group who state that GWR travel card should be with me by end of the week, with Priv card to follow next week.
Sorted!!

Tommy222256

Got my Staff Travel Pass today but GWR hadn’t paid the postage so I had to go to the post office to pay £2 to get it.....‍♂️

Daydr3am3r

Got my Staff Travel Pass today but GWR hadn’t paid the postage so I had to go to the post office to pay £2 to get it.....‍♂️

Ah that’s what it is, I haven’t picked mine up yet, very cheeky indeed! Where’s my claim form.....:E

Tommy222256

Ah that’s what it is, I haven’t picked mine up yet, very cheeky indeed! Where’s my claim form.....:E
Yep if you’ve got a letter then that’s it!, I might email to request a free coffee on my first day but might fall on deaf ears!!!

Lee898

Good Afternoon,
I've been lurking in the background forever, so I do apologize for not contributing . I just recieved my offer for Trainee Train Driver Hex, so I just wanted to know roughly if it can be said by them on training courses now:

1-How long by estimates is the course (I've been told 7 months or longer due to Class 387 conversion)
2-How have the Holidays been spread out for them on the October course?
3- what is the Training Salary, as I couldn't get s definitive answer from HR.
4- Is pay every 4 weeks or an week in arrears from the end of the 4th week ?

Bit of background to my questions: Currently Civil Servant on around £35k, but money isn't the issue per se, though I am moving from home to be closer to the depot. Before, I was in the railways for 3 years as a Manager and then Rail Operator before I left due to there being a lack of Driver roles. More pressing for me however ,is at least having some time to go to Colombia where my fiancée lives so that I can meet her parents before she may come here with their minds at rest.
Sorry again , and also for the long post.

TH51

Email from GWR Resourcing: 'The starting salary for a Trainee Driver is £28268 per annum'.
I've had an email from Gwr resources saying the starting salary for trainee train drivers (hex) is £26000. Lee898 I've sent you a message.

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
I've had an email from Gwr resources saying the starting salary for trainee train drivers (hex) is £26000. Lee898 I've sent you a message.
The salary is £28,268 unless HEX is different.

jezzer34

Has any one else passed the recent stage 2 assessment and waiting on a DMI date for gwr??
yeah sat stage 2 at start of November awaiting dmi invite, i feel it could be a long wait but its all good happy to get this far at my first ever attempt! my application is for the 2019&2020 pool

Lee898

Thanks for the Message. Sent one back. But to reiterate to all, I had the same training salary, too (£26,000)

Lee898

Maybe. Or maybe they gave you the wrong info. My contract says a lower salary than I’m actually on.
Oh wow. I remember when I was with another TOC, I and a group of colleagues were actually called in to have our contracts redone as they cocked up on something less important. I hope this isn't par for the course with. GWR; though I understand HEX is run under a different basis altogether.

Stigy

Established Member
Oh wow. I remember when I was with another TOC, I and a group of colleagues were actually called in to have our contracts redone as they cocked up on something less important. I hope this isn't par for the course with. GWR; though I understand HEX is run under a different basis altogether.
I think it’s more to do with the fact that there was a pay award prior to sending out the contracts or at about the same time so they didn’t have time to update them.

Lee898

I think it’s more to do with the fact that there was a pay award prior to sending out the contracts or at about the same time so they didn’t have time to update them.
Okie dokie. That would make sense. 28k is much better than 26k. When was the pay award, if ye happen to know ?

Daydr3am3r

Okie dokie. That would make sense. 28k is much better than 26k. When was the pay award, if ye happen to know ?

Not sure when it was but I can confirm that the starting salary sent out on contracts is now £28,258.
Can’t confirm if HEX is any different though.

Status
Not open for further replies.